Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

high def advice re sky,pvr, play tv etc

• 25-07-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

hi ,
    i have been researching alternatives to paying sky subs , however i find a lot of the information confusing.
    a lot of threads on here are very informative and maybe if i list what i want someone on here would be able to inform me of my best choices.
    tyia

i live in northern ireland.
    i have a SKY HD box and the contract is up.
    i have a HD television that can recieve freeview channels.
    i also have a PS3 and am aware of PLAY TV.
    also have a good broadband connection and live in a high rise so imagine my aerial would be quite powerful.
    have only one SKY feed so cant use the record and watch another channel thing.

what i am looking for is basically a set up that avoids paying SKY.
    all im looking for is a decent channel listing that is responsive and informative.
    HD channels.
    im happy to use the PS3 for 4OD and maybe LOVEFILM for the odd movie.

if i leave SKY then it seems that a HUMAX PVR is what a lot of people choose, but would i need to pay the extra for that machine if i have a SKY box or use my television.

problem with the television is that changing channels is painfully slow , cant record nor see whats on bar the now or next.

1.would one of these HUMAX machines solve the problem with the slow channel changing and offer a better channel listing?or would it be more or less the same as my TV?

2. if i cancel sky can i continue to watch all the channels that are free to air including HD? i wouldnt be too disapointed in losing the option to record as i can access 4OD and BBCIPLAYER on the PS3. also can i access the red button on bbc?

3. is PLAY TV an option? dont like the noise of the PS3 at the best of times and think that would be a spoiler.

what i would hope is that i can continue to use the SKY box and use the PS3 for on demand and the odd movie.

would a 200+ quid HUMAX box be a waste of money?

any other ideas on what my best options would be with the equipment i currently have.

any opinions much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭John mac

easiest thing to do is unplug the sky box, remove the card, reboot it.
    This will allow you to see what channels are available without a sky sub. (and where they are on the epg)

a humax freesat box will let you record , ( i think the freesat version will allow bbc iplayer )
    they also do a freeview box

hope that helps for a start.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

thanks john ,
    was away from home so only getting to do this now.
    get a good few channels , looks like only c4 and bbc in HD though , the itv ordinary channels are ok but not getting the HD ones.
    will i get more channels if i have an expired SKY card in the box/

channels i would miss would be at the races and the kids channels , what options do i have for them/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭John mac

613 /614 for kids. you can manually add itvhd/ stvhd. and ch 5 see sticky at top of forum.

Advertisement