Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architect quote guide

• 25-07-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

For a normal design of a 4 bed dormer what price range would one be looking at for an architect and what would be included in the quote.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Firstly it's best to obtain 3 quotations, from experienced professionals architects/arch techs or other others.Different people will bring different things to any project. Prices will vary, as will the level of service.

Look for full service quotations broken down into the following stages;
    1. Design to Planning stage including Planning Application
    2. Preperation of Tender & Construction Documentation
    3. Site Monitoring and Certification

Energy efficiency and compliance with building regulations need to be factored in early on in the design, so I would say stay away from anyone, who tells to not to worry about that until after you get your planning permission.

Remember cheapest price now doesn't always mean the cheapest house in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Generally, your architects fees will be based on a percentage of the build cost. This can range anywhere between 4 - 15% of the overall build cost depending on the type of building & the budget involved.

For a one off house, you should be looking to pay around 5 to 8% for a good architect. That will take you from design stage to planning to tender, construction, overseeing the project & then signing off at all stages.

Whoever you decide to run with however - don't base it on the price alone - get references from previous clients & check out some of their previous work. Make sure they are suitably qualified, have relevant experience are fully insured.

Also, keep in mind that all prices are exclusive of VAT. If they aren't charging VAT, I'd be worried.

Always negotiate & if your budget is tight, you may decide not to employ the architect to be involved in all the stages of the build - you can pick & choose what stages you want him or her to be involved in... but my advice is that if you pay a professional to do the job, you will save yourself a lot of hassle & usually money in the long run... some of the horror stories I've come across over the years from people who thought that self building was something anybody could do, would turn your hair grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Also, keep in mind that all prices are exclusive of VAT. If they aren't charging VAT, I'd be worried.

Rather than been concerned with VAT, check that the professional has PI. There's many sole practitioners whom are not registered for VAT as their turnover is less than the threshold of 37,500 yet are tax compliant.

If someone is insisting on beginning paid by cash well that might be another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

mburke wrote: »
    For a normal design of a 4 bed dormer what price range would one be looking at for an architect and what would be included in the quote.

If its a new build and no unusual requirments you can buy plans (40E or something I think) apply for planning and just get the builder, decide on finishes materials yourself.

If its bespoke, then get an architect but expect to pay between 6k and 20k.

What annoys me is that very few of these guys will give you sketch ideas before going to contract. So its very possible you sign up with a complete bluffer and dont get what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

What part of the country are you in, is it an urban or rural site, what level of services do you want included in the quote!! and that's just to start before anyone could give you a reasonable idea!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

D1stant wrote: »
    If its a new build and no unusual requirments you can buy plans (40E or something I think) apply for planning and just get the builder, decide on finishes materials yourself.

If its bespoke, then get an architect but expect to pay between 6k and 20k.

What annoys me is that very few of these guys will give you sketch ideas before going to contract. So its very possible you sign up with a complete bluffer and dont get what you want.

Please dont do for your own sake. Most, if not all of the plans available online are for American or European house designs that will

1: Not be site specific, which in Ireland is a huge thing
    2: Will not be to the planners liking or comply with rural house design guidelines and will be refused or conditionally redesigned
    3: Will not comply with the Irish building regulations in particular, wheelchair compliance but also in terms of structure and insulation.

A builder will have a massive vested interest in your build so expecting them to give you the best independant advice as opposed to advice that will make them more money or make their job easier is very risky. Also, Alot of what is now required for house designing is technical(insulation & ventilation calculations, services and fire safety) and a builder will only be able to know this from experience and what went into other houses that they built in the past. when it comes to certificating for mortgage or house insurance purposes this could really be a major problem.
    If building control come on site and spot something that doesnt comply with planning or building regs they can legally request that you carry out remedial works to put it right, they will not consider how much this may cost you.

For mortgage purposes you will need an engineer, architect or arch tech to sign off different stages of the build. If they dont have proper drawings to work off or if they have to do alot of remedial design work expect to find it very difficult to find on that wont charge an arm and leg.

But, If you want to go down this road then, by all means, buy the plans but hire an Engineer to ensure that they comply with the building and planning regs. This should work out cheaper than hiring an Architect for tyhe full design but you will not get any worth while design imput which IMO is a bit of a waste.

For a standard design package to planning decision you should be able to find quotes of around €1500 - €2500 from professional compitent Architects, Arch Techs & Engineers. (I hope that it is alright to give this figure as its a rough guideline and as it is one that was reached on a similar topic some time ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

2k - 3k! Thats a good price for a middle of the road architect in the midlands to design, draw and submit planning. These are quotes I have got personally within the last 3 months. This is the rate off 3 good architectural companies who have completed large scale projects recently in the midlands/Galway region.

Advertisement