Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Way way out of my comfort zone

Options
  • 25-07-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of perspective and advice.

I've worked for a US multinational for 11 years. Most of those years were in manufacturing, where I came up through the ranks. My last 5 years in manufacturing were as a people and operational manager. Unsurprisingly, the manufacturing part of the business was moved to China, and I was one of the lucky few who managed to get another job in the same company.

The thing is, I am really struggling with my new job. I have been in it for 8 months now, and it really isn't getting any better. I knew when I took the job that I would be way out of my comfort zone, and this has proven to be the case. I have managed thus far to cope with all the challenges and just about kept my head above water. I can probably keep going in that vein, however it is really beginning to take its toll. Sleepless nights, constant worry, a feeling of dread going into work. Weekends are spent trying to get Monday morning out of my head. It's just not good.
    Thing is, it would be stupid to leave. After 11 years, I have a pretty reasonable salary, pension, VHI etc, but I am really getting to the end of my tether.
    Most people will probably tell me to go talk to my manager. This may sound stupid, but I'm afraid that by letting it known that I am finding it difficult to cope, I may jeopardise my career in the future.
    To all those who say, be thankful you have a job and get on with, I hear ye, but it aint always that easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

So far so good you've made it this far. It seems to me that you're lacking confidence in your own abilities. In your situation I would make a list of the aspects of your work that you have difficulty in and then try and identify any training you need. You don't need to let your manager know that you're finding it difficult to cope, come at it from the point of wanting to gain new skills etc. Most large companies offer training courses and will even pay for courses taken in your own time. It may be no harm to have a chat with your doc i get the feeling that a lot of the anxiety you're feeling stems from "dodging the bullet" when manufacturing was closed. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Stick it out until your next performance review, being a MN there should be at least one a year... See how you are appraised, if they are happy then relax and keep going.. If there are issues at the review use that as a springboard to get help from your manager without you initiating the request.
    chances are nobody has a problem with your performance only yourself..

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Some people seem to have the ability to forget things at will.They dismiss a thought and it goes away.Whatever abilities i've had i've always been hampered by worry and worrying is good only up to a point.After a while it becomes destructive.Does anybody have experience of knowing such people and what are they made of.When did they learn or is there a mental gymnastic thing or just something that's an idea without a thought that cannot be expressed.It's not necessarily a good thing and a person could become reckless with it.Maybe it cannot be taught some things can't Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I've worked for a US multinational for 11 years. Most of those years were in manufacturing, where I came up through the ranks. My last 5 years in manufacturing were as a people and operational manager. Unsurprisingly, the manufacturing part of the business was moved to China, and I was one of the lucky few who managed to get another job in the same company.

The thing is, I am really struggling with my new job. I have been in it for 8 months now, and it really isn't getting any better. I knew when I took the job that I would be way out of my comfort zone, and this has proven to be the case. I have managed thus far to cope with all the challenges and just about kept my head above water. I can probably keep going in that vein, however it is really beginning to take its toll. Sleepless nights, constant worry, a feeling of dread going into work. Weekends are spent trying to get Monday morning out of my head. It's just not good.
    Thing is, it would be stupid to leave. After 11 years, I have a pretty reasonable salary, pension, VHI etc, but I am really getting to the end of my tether.
    Most people will probably tell me to go talk to my manager. This may sound stupid, but I'm afraid that by letting it known that I am finding it difficult to cope, I may jeopardise my career in the future.
    To all those who say, be thankful you have a job and get on with, I hear ye, but it aint always that easy.

Sorry to hear this, but as people have said you have been doing this for 8 months and no one has raised this with you so you may be underestimating your own abilities.
    What might help is if you draw up a list of the tasks you are good at in there and the ones that your not. Then either raise these at your next review or try to approach your colleagues for help with the various areas

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all for the responses - some very good advice in there.

Maybe it is lack of faith in my own abilities as suggested. I think probably where a lot of this stems from the fact that my introduction to the job was essentially, here's a job title, there's a desk, plug in your laptop, and off you go. There has been zero guidance or clarity about the role since day 1, although to be fair, the job doesn't lend itself a particular structure. I did have a review last week - my first one since I started the job, and my manager was positive about how I have settled, however she doesn't see, nor would I allow her to see the stress and worry it causes me.

Still, the more I think about this, the more I think that this is just a difficult period that I have to get over. More confidence and less worry is probably the order of the day. Having said that, I understand what paddyandy is saying as well - it can be a challenge in itself to stop the worrying!

Thanks again to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Some years ago i had to go to court and i had little or no experience of what went on exactly and i was anxious for days at the prospect so much so that i went along to some sessions just to get the basic ideas because life had taught me that theory and practice can be so different.I did'nt even know how to address the judge and a last moment idea came to mind.I had some valium from years previous and almost untouched and i took about 10mg and i sailed through it so well my adversary expecting me to flounder said "you've taken medication".Valium might help through a bad patch but never a long term solution it is very addictive and i stopped immediately because they made me sleepy too.I had to turn down one good job a few years ago because i've a sieve for a head for names.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This may sound stupid, but I'm afraid that by letting it known that I am finding it difficult to cope, I may jeopardise my career in the future.
    If you're seen as sh|te at your job, it will affect your career prospects, but if you ask for help to improve, it won't look as bad, and will probably look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Sorry to hear about your situation,

I've been there and it's not pleasant when it starts affecting your personal life.

However, from looking at your post I'd say you're being far too hard on yourself. First the big positives, you were obviously good enough to be kept for 11 years, you must have been well regarded to be promoted. Even better for you, when things changed significantly for the business during a downturn, you were one of those people that management thought we need to keep this guy. So you're not a cost you're an asset in their eyes.

Now because there has been a significant change to structure, this will mean that many are just getting started. Many jobs will be vague and clarity of role will come with time. This seems to be happening in your job. Your latest performance review saw you receiving positive feedback.

I was in your position and felt so overwhelmed that I left. Shortly after I handed in my notice, my boss and his boss offered a payrise to stay on. It was just myself that had the view that I wasn't performing.

If I were you, I would talk to your boss informally and ask him/her to paint a picture so to speak of what it would look like if a person did your job in the best possible manner. Explain that's where you want to get to in time, look at training opportunities. Look at others in the industry doing a similar role and network with them. I find networking helps a lot.

Best of luck to you. Go easy on yourself.

Advertisement