Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Going Nationwide?

• 25-07-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I have read some amazing stuff about UPC and would love to avail of their services but sadly they are not available in my area. Does anyone know if they have plans to expand nationwide at any time in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Its pity there expansion isnt as quick as there internet:P

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Its pity there expansion isnt as quick as there internet:P

Well said.

From what I understand they provide incredible speeds; my telephone line can apparently only handle 1meg speed, and this is what Eircom are suppose to be supplying me, but the reality is I am only getting 21kps. Pretty desperate, eh. So, if UPC became available nationwide many 1000s of people around the country in the same boat as me would benefit and eircom would be no more.

pat13wx wrote: »
    Well said.

From what I understand they provide incredible speeds; my telephone line can apparently only handle 1meg speed, and this is what Eircom are suppose to be supplying me, but the reality is I am only getting 21kps. Pretty desperate, eh. So, if UPC became available nationwide many 1000s of people around the country in the same boat as me would benefit and eircom would be no more.

i know, they really should go for a complete wipeout of eircom and spread throughout the country, but all that costs lots of money unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

i know, they really should go for a complete wipeout of eircom and spread throughout the country, but all that costs lots of money unfortunately

As much as i hate eircom.

UPC are cheap & nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

UPC are cheap & nasty.
    If you dislike them so much, then leave. Go back to Eircom (who also never had unlimited packages, regardless as to what may have been advertised in the past). You've the perfect opportunity now to get out of the contract without any penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Johnmb wrote: »
    If you dislike them so much, then leave. Go back to Eircom (who also never had unlimited packages, regardless as to what may have been advertised in the past). You've the perfect opportunity now to get out of the contract without any penalty.

Point is the are both disgraceful compaines who have the monopoly on tv and internet & phone providers in this shambles of country call Ireland.

But your right ive only got myself to blame for living in this ****h#le of a country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Point is the are both disgraceful compaines who have the monopoly on tv and internet & phone providers in this shambles of country call Ireland.

But your right ive only got myself to blame for living in this ****h#le of a country
    Well yeah, unless you've committed a crime and have had your passport confiscated, then there is absolutely no reason for you to have to stay in this country if you hate it so much. I'm sure there'd be many other countries that would be happy to have you..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

How can both of them have a monopoly?

i dont know are upc nasty, but id rather nasty cheap upc, than eircoms next to nothing broadband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC's broadband products operate over their cable television network. So, at the moment is is available in the traditionally cabled areas i.e. Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and quite a lot of reasonable sized towns too.

There's some remote possibility that UPC could cable smaller towns, but there is absolutely no way that they will ever be able to provide cable to rural areas.

Rural areas might have some eventual option of getting UPC, but it won't be the same product i.e it would have to be some kind of wireless service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If they gave up on MMDS for TV and used direct-to-home satellite broadcasting instead, they'd have a very healthy chunk of spectrum to operate EuroDOCSIS on the same spectrum. Enough spectrum to allow for substantial speeds even though the population coverage of existing MMDS sites can be very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

UPC are cheap & nasty.

UPC are far from cheap and nasty.

Ok, the TV service is not as good as SKY's offering, but their broadband is rock solid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why would they want to wipe out Eircom? Then they would be held to legislation about providing certain base services etc. which makes no sense for a company to bother with.

Rather they (and any other major ISP) will go for cherry picking the areas (i.e. number of people available exceed X) and ignore the rest of Ireland until the government pay them not to.

Nody wrote: »
    Why would they want to wipe out Eircom? Then they would be held to legislation about providing certain base services etc. which makes no sense for a company to bother with.

Rather they (and any other major ISP) will go for cherry picking the areas (i.e. number of people available exceed X) and ignore the rest of Ireland until the government pay them not to.

makes sense never thought of that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

So, it looks like in the near future there's no hope of UPC expanding to include rural areas, then. Shame, that.

Is there any company comparable to them that supplies a service in the Horse and Jockey area of Co Tipp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

pat13wx wrote: »
    So, it looks like in the near future there's no hope of UPC expanding to include rural areas, then. Shame, that.

Is there any company comparable to them that supplies a service in the Horse and Jockey area of Co Tipp?

No.

Cable TV networks are pretty much never rolled out to rural areas. The technology is not suitable for low-density use.

You could run CATV in relatively small towns / housing estates, assuming there's fibre access i.e. by installing a single node of cable. However, the economics of it wouldn't make it a very viable or attractive prospect for any CATV operator.

For broadband in that area, if you're close enough to an exchange, DSL is probably your best bet. After that look at fixed wireless providers that mount a small antenna on your house.

Failing that, you could look at satellite broadband.

Advertisement