Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostels in perth?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi folks,

Heading to perth in the next few weeks and looking to stay in a hostel. looking for something close enough to city centre or close to train station. Have looked at 'Hay Street Backpackers' and 'Beattys Lodge'.

Anybody have experience of these two places or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Agree - Hostel world you need to have booked through hostel world to provide feedback
    so this is usually a good source of truth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Im going in Sept, staying in the Billabong in Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

we have just booked beattys for the first week in september, looks decent and affordable! few people had good things to say about it too, so fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fergalevo

heading to perth my self in 3 weeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hows the jobs situation out there in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Spinners across from the bog used to be good, not sure if it's still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SlamDunk

Heading out to Perth next week :) Very exciting. Luckily have friends there but will be looking for a house share.
    Give me a shout - love meeting Irish people abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I'll be looking for accomodation too, staying in a hostel for 5 nights, arriving in Perth the 2nd Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Longjohn18 wrote: »
    hi folks,

Heading to perth in the next few weeks and looking to stay in a hostel. looking for something close enough to city centre or close to train station. Have looked at 'Hay Street Backpackers' and 'Beattys Lodge'.

Anybody have experience of these two places or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Hay St is right in the city centre.

Underground backpackers in Northbridge is about the best.They have a bar and swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mdawg

not many good hostels in perth.
    Perth is funny, so full of irish so its not like being in australia.
    also the town is so boring, everything shuts rally early and good luck finding a supermarket after 5pm on the weekends!
    its pretty expensive here too, $11-12 a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mdawg wrote: »
    not many good hostels in perth.
    Perth is funny, so full of irish so its not like being in australia.

Quite true
    also the town is so boring, everything shuts rally early and

Not true
    good luck finding a supermarket after 5pm on the weekends!

IGA
    its pretty expensive here too, $11-12 a pint!

Where do you be drinking? The Cas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mdawg

im just not a fan of perth, its too small town for me
    others may love it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Hay St is right in the city centre.

Underground backpackers in Northbridge is about the best.They have a bar and swimming pool.

When I was in Perth last year on vacation a few of us decided to be backpackers and checked into this place, yucky yucky yucky is all I can say, I don't understand how people could stay there, Underground was full of Irish (a negative from my POV) and it was not very clean and the so called private room didn't even have curtains so I had to hang the bedsheets on the windows as curtains.

After one night there we left and travelled out to Kalgoorlie, upon our return to Perth we decided to take a nosey into the Billabong and that made the Underground look like the ritz, a total dump filled with schoolies and it was noisey and the room was so bad a mate of mine who is the type who'd sleep anywhere even said we'll get the hell out of here, typed into the Sat Nav and drove over a lovely little hostel called the Emperor's Crown which was spotless, and the rooms grand, however they were booked out and we eventually went back to the Underground as it was like 11pm.

The following nights I booked us into the Hyatt Regency which is a briliant 5 star hotel and was around AU$150 a night, ok very dear but worth it after our run in with the Hostels. The Emperors Crown place was good but more expensive than normal hostel after some research I found the travel lodge budget hotels to only be around $5 more expensive and we used them a few nights too in Melbourne as it was in a nice central location. I don't think i'll ever again be caught in a hostel! Mind you this did contribute to the whole RTW trip costing almost €40k for the 4 of us, however I'd still prefer those 4 weeks of relative luxury to 4 months of slumming it and worrying about finances.

Hyatt Regency
    Emperors Crown Hostel

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Stinicker wrote: »
    When I was in Perth last year on vacation a few of us decided to be backpackers and checked into this place, yucky yucky yucky is all I can say, I don't understand how people could stay there, Underground was full of Irish (a negative from my POV) and it was not very clean and the so called private room didn't even have curtains so I had to hang the bedsheets on the windows as curtains.

Sorry but the OP asked about Hostels not Hotels.Hostels not matter where you go in the world are not very clean,never have much privacy but you pay for what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Longjohn18

Thanks for the replies people. Have another few weeks to decide so we'll see. Thanks again

Advertisement