Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being overcharged for cm?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why wud u think its crap? Not everyone who is in childcare has a true vocation - alot of women do it to make ends meet,minding friends or neighbours children particularly in this economy. I know a few people who mind neighbours kids and they don't love kids -they are doingit to pay their bills.

I would find it heart-breaking enough to have a stranger raising my kids but one who didn't love children... why would you do that to them? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

Why wud u think its crap? Not everyone who is in childcare has a true vocation - alot of women do it to make ends meet,minding friends or neighbours children particularly in this economy. I know a few people who mind neighbours kids and they don't love kids -they are doingit to pay their bills.

If you dont have a love of children then you shouldnt be working in childcare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I earn the same in ennis co clare now as i was earning in Dublin in 2005. in fact a bit more as i just got a pay rise in April.
    The cost of going pubs and cinema are exactly the same also.
    clothes and tescos are exact same.
    so i dont understand your point?
    Also if you agree that 42 euros for 6 hours work is fair enough based on prices nationwide then you should open up a creche and start raking it in on the back of hard working parents

The cost of going to the cinema is not the same

Ennis - Before 7pm €6.50
    After 7pm €8.50
    Children under 15yrs (Gen, PG & 12A movies) €5.50

Cineworld -
    Adult (after 5pm Mon-Fri, all day Sat-Sun) €10.60
    Adult (before 5pm Mon-Fri) €8.20
    Child (14 & Under) €6.40
    Senior €7.20

The price of a pint is not the same.

Yes clothes in Tesco are the same as is electricity and Gas.

House prices -http://www.daft.ie/report/ not the same.

Don't have time to find average wage by sector and county now but yes wages are generally higher in the capital to compensate for the higher cost of living.

Creches in Dublin are a lot more expensive as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ber123

Hi ladies,

Problem resolved. Moonbeam and others,you asked why I waited til the first day before asking the price. But I had asked her before that. The cm told me it depends on the hours and that the child she already minds from 9-3pm costs 30 euros. So I assumed a fiver an hour. When she told me it was 42 euros from 11-5, I was lost for words! My daughter was beside me and her kids and I didn't want to question her then.

I rang the cm yesterday morning and told her straightout that the most I can pay is 5 euros an hour. She agreed immediately and said that was fine- 'it's not about the money' her words!) Looking back, I think she tried to pull a fast one. She knows I am new to this area. My closest family live 2 hours away, and I know virtually no-one here (moved to start up my business). I think she was being mean-spirited, she charges 5 an hour for the other kid.

My daughter really likes being at her house. But the cm's behaviour has made me question if I should find another cm?

Thanks for all your advice. It was a huge help x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

ber123 wrote: »

I rang the cm yesterday morning and told her straightout that the most I can pay is 5 euros an hour. She agreed immediately and said that was fine- 'it's not about the money' her words!) Looking back, I think she tried to pull a fast one. She knows I am new to this area. My closest family live 2 hours away, and I know virtually no-one here (moved to start up my business). I think she was being mean-spirited, she charges 5 an hour for the other kid.

My daughter really likes being at her house. But the cm's behaviour has made me question if I should find another cm?

To be fair, it might suit her better to work in the mornings and finish up at three rather than five? And she did say that it depended on the hours. Anyway, if your daughter is happy there and you're happy with the rate you're paying now it's alright surely, hardly worth the hassle of finding a new one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement