Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pickpocket warning for the Races

Options
  • 25-07-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Every year folk are warned about pick pockets in Galway during the races. My young fella got 'hit' on Saturday night. They got his phone, wallet (not much money) and his passport.

Basically, he was on a night out with his mates. Galway's streets are pretty festive at the quietest of Saturday nights and there's usually banter and craic among everyone walking about Cross street and High Street. A pair of lads acting as happy harmless drunks did the whole 'hey buddy' act, putting their arm around him and having the craic. Ten mins later he went to use his phone and realised he was cleaned out.

Just letting folk know. I thought it was a pretty clever ploy. So watch yerselves this week especially. The rouges and dodgy heads hit the town this week and you could land yerself in trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

sorry to hear op. but why did your son have his passport with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

cats.life wrote: »
    its still very common to use passport as ID , the garda ID thing was a failure i dont know anyone with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I would assume he was using it as ID. Most people I know would use a passport for ID on a night out, as a lot of places won't accept student cards or drivers licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sorry to hear :( glad it was only 'stuff' though and nothing physical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Like the other posters said, he has it as ID. He's got a baby face and he has no student card. The Garda id's are not used or accepted anymore I think.

Yes, he's pretty philosophical about it. Lesson learnt. Better than getting kicked to bits on the ground for yer phone and a fiver. I just popped it up as a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Greaney wrote: »
    Like the other posters said, he has it as ID. He's got a baby face and he has no student card. The Garda id's are not used or accepted anymore I think.

Yes, he's pretty philosophical about it. Lesson learnt. Better than getting kicked to bits on the ground for yer phone and a fiver. I just popped it up as a warning.

Garda Age Cards are accepted everywhere.

At least mine is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Garda Age Cards are accepted everywhere.

At least mine is.

They usually are but no-one uses them. I literally only know one person who has one, and even he doesn't use it. They're a joke, on more than one occasion I've seen people being told that they couldn't accept it. I always have to bring my passport on a night out in case I'm asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is this unusual? I carry my passport with me at all times...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Things to think about:

Festivals/Races attract tourists. Tourists attract out-of-town criminals.
    So be extra careful this races week. Don't leave your phone/bag/purse on the table as usual if you go to the bar.
    If you have to push through a crowd, carry your purse in front of you.

The most vulnerable places to keep your wallet are in back pants pockets, coat jacket pockets and backpacks.
    Pickpockets often avoid front trouser pockets, especially if they are buttoned or zippered.

Separate money between pockets/purse. A 50 in each pocket means you still have 150 left even if you get pickpocketed.

Leave credit cards/extra cash you won't need at home/hotel room.
    You can always get it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cotzie32

I use my garda id all the time. Its even the older version as I got it 5 years ago and never have trouble...
    It is a shame to hear people getting pick pocketed and ruins peoples nights out....
    For that reason I dont bring out passport or driving license (too valuable to lose) and only the cash I intend on spending that night....
    So many people I know have lost big amounts of money on nights out either through being pickpocketed or drunkness.....
    My wallet will only contain my garda id and the bit of money im spending and maybe my laser card but never a credit card...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

carring your passport out with you and your looking for trouble, i got mine lost/stolen twice and the trouble i had to get another one was crazy, i nearly didn't, and the one they issued me was only a 2 year one, sent me a letter as much as saying if i lost this one the good luck, no more, the only reason i was carrying it on both occations was to open a bank account / xtravision account, my own fault cos both times i went on the p**s after and lost jackets with it in it!!:mad:

i've learned my lesson. sorry about this being off topic!! but yes the city is awash with these types this week and every week unfortunatley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

If you lose or have your passport stolen more than twice you will have a harder time getting a new passport. People that perpetually lose it or have it stolen have to be double checked to check for cases of fraud.

I don't have a problem being id'd nowadays but I still carry my garda id and in the rare times I've been asked for id, it has done fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sorry to hear OP. Streets are always crazy before a big event.

I always use my Garda ID. I don't know anywhere that doesn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

Dermo wrote: »
    If you lose or have your passport stolen more than twice you will have a harder time getting a new passport. People that perpetually lose it or have it stolen have to be double checked to check for cases of fraud.

I don't have a problem being id'd nowadays but I still carry my garda id and in the rare times I've been asked for id, it has done fine.
    i hope the op has it reported being stolen? my niece had a hard time getting her 2nd passport ,she lost one not so long ago. its a pain in the ass to get forms , tell the garda its lost, then more foto,s to be taken, go to post office and pay more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've seen a few people have their Garda ID refused. The pictures on them can tend to be a bit rubbish and blurry and I know one person who only has half their face on theirs, the rest was cut out.

My passport recently expired so I use that one for ID and keep the new one for times I actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

I use garda ID, i paid for it so im gonna use it, passport is a bad idea and asking for trouble really, but up to you.
    Best advice is to check your pockets regularly, when ppl you don't know do something you find weird, ie hug, push, bump into etc, rem their face and check your stuff straight away.
    Easiest is to keep wallet in zip or tight pocket, and don't bring extra stuff, just the essentials,-> money, laser card, phone and id....
    And if anyone see's a pickpocket, report them straight away guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From a thread today in AH
    Happened to me today. Shop street in Galway, someone took my bag with my iPod in it. Put it down for one second in the shop to try on a pair of shoes, and next thing it's gone and the shop have no cameras so it can't even be seen who took it. Very annoyed about it.

Advertisement