Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready Mix Mortar for Garden Wall

• 25-07-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone tell me where, other than Roastone, one can get readymix mortar delivered. I live in Swords and need to get a ton of mortar but i need it over two weekends so ideally need to get a half a ton delivered twice the month but Roadstone have a minimum charge for delivery.

any advice welcome!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

peteb2 wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone tell me where, other than Roastone, one can get readymix mortar delivered. I live in Swords and need to get a ton of mortar but i need it over two weekends so ideally need to get a half a ton delivered twice the month but Roadstone have a minimum charge for delivery.

any advice welcome!

Any builders providers will have it.

Chadwicks Coolock,Grange Builders Providers Baldoyle,Newtown Builders Providers Coolock all have it and will deliever it on a truck in a large hessian strap sacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Probably an obvious question, but is it a mortar mix dry?

I'm sure I got a quote for ready mix mortar (dry) but I think it was dearer than sand and cement. I'd be inclined to think it might be more difficult to keep dry, I just had to put my cement bags on a pallet and covered it in a few layers of old plastic. I covered the sand but it got a bit wet but thats ok, I'd have imagined if a large quantity of mortar mix got wet it would start to cure immediately (I'll defer to a more expert opinion on that though).

I'd price a tonne of soft sand/builders sand (for mortar) and get an appropriate amount of cement in bags and mix it. They might waive the delivery, but in two seperate loads of 1/2 tonne, not so sure. Tonne doesnt take up too much room. Some dont do loose though, only bagged.

The plastic bags they deliver in are a bit dearer than if dumped off the back of a truck loose, but are tidier. To me bags are only ok if where they can lift it to is ok to keep it.

In my case I got some delivered in bags as I needed it tidy on the drive. Anything after that, I ordered loose and barrowed down the side entrance into the tonne bags I kept. I'd even ordered loose but was given it in bags at the price for loose sand as they had other loads in the same delivery and couldnt tip it all off, so if it suits ask for loose, it costs less and you may get it bagged anyway.

If you have an old skip bag (one of those those that used to be free), you could put that where you want to keep the sand and barrow it into it (for a start).

P.S I wouldnt ask how much it is to deliver, when they give you the price, ask is that delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

peteb2 wrote: »
    Hi

any advice welcome!
    `Why can't you hire a mixer and mix what you need when you need it.

Advertisement