Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there many health benefits for getting a male dog neutered

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

killwill wrote: »
    After I got my dog neutered I found him to be less obedient, he barks at anyone passing our house now and chews up my girlfriend's shoes if they are left around. All behavioural issues since neutering.

As already stated, a lot of these sorts of behaviours would appear anyway, nothing to do with the neutering, more to do with age and the "terrible teens". It just so happens that if the dog is neutered around this time, it might seem as if the neutering "caused" it.

Having said that, there are an increasing number of case studies in dogs, and evidence in humans, to suggest that there can be significant changes in behaviour immediately following an operation. Not because of what the operation was for, but because of the longer-term effects of certain anaesthetics on certain inidividuals.
    This seems a more likely explanation as to why, very occasionally, some dogs' behaviour seems to change "overnight" after being neutered. Or indeed, after any operation. It seems to have quite a random occurrence, and the proportion of dogs not negatively affected by neutering/being operated on is far, far higher than those that are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My Saluki changed dramatically after spaying. She developed a very fine fluffy outer coat which is much paler that her actual coat. But it only developed along her ribs.

I had great fun going into the Vet & saying look what you have done to my dog ! Apparently the same thing sometimes happens with Spaniels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

I've had great peace since I had to neuter my male dog (medical reasons).
    He used to whine the whole time his sister was on heat, wouldn't eat or sleep for three weeks each time. He has stopped wandering too.
    The only drawback now is he put a lot of weight on and now that he is old he can't exercise as much so watch out for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Discodog wrote: »
    My Saluki changed dramatically after spaying. She developed a very fine fluffy outer coat which is much paler that her actual coat. But it only developed along her ribs.

I had great fun going into the Vet & saying look what you have done to my dog ! Apparently the same thing sometimes happens with Spaniels.

And setters, which is why a lot of people won't neuter/spay certain breeds, because of the change to the coat.

Well I have just returned from the Vet where my little guy was being humped in the waiting room by a dog that was neutered 6 months ago :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It doesn't stop humping altogether as humping is a natural dog behavior(although my malamute has never even tried once and he is 8 months, my Pom on the other hand would dominate the hell out of the stuffed animals) but there would be a lot less sexual humping, for example if you came in contact with a bitch in heat then her scent would be all over you, good luck trying to stop an entire male from humping you, I remember in the 80's seeing lots of children with dogs humping them and a few waiting their turn.

Humping is not necessarily solely a sexual behaviour.
    It is often used by a dog as an anxiety-relieving behaviour, with no sexual connotations whatsoever.
    In a stressful place, like a vet's waiting room, it is not unusual to see both neutered and unneutered males, and females, resorting to humping to relieve their stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Id give anything to see people get real advice to try out than listen to the "norm" nuetering is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Your son keeps following around girls so you cut off his balls. Rational.:rolleyes:

With 2 teenage boys thats tempting;);)

I have mine neutured as i knew i had no intention of letting them breed, when weighing it up its can be an emotional decision we make rather than a rational one. Have all the facts and talk to your vet and ask him/her any questions your unsure of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Id give anything to see people get real advice to try out than listen to the "norm" nuetering is good.

You obviously haven't bothered reading this thread then.

• Advertisement

With thousands of dogs dying every year neutering is not only good but essential. I always have a concern that discussion may put someone off neutering.

Maybe we should have a €100 per year dog license with big reductions for microchipping, vaccination & neutering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Real advice for what? I'm not quite sure what you mean, nobody here says the end all and be all answer to everything dog related is get your dog neutered, usually the suggestion of neutering is accompanied with other behavioural and training, nutrition and medical advice.
    With thousands of dogs dying every year neutering is not only good but essential. I always have a concern that discussion may put someone off neutering.

Maybe we should have a €100 per year dog license with big reductions for microchipping, vaccination & neutering.

That is a very good idea. However most people don't even bother paying €12.70 for a licence at the moment as it is so those same people are certainly not going to pay €100 or see it that they should fork out €100+ for neutering and then pay a reduced licence when they wouldn't pay the €12.70 in the first place. For that to work you would need serious man power to go around checking licences and handing out fines.
    I believe microchipping should be mandatory also, then you've got the train of thought of whether annual booster vaccines are actually needed so you could be penalising those who put the time and effort into researching and deciding to vaccinate or not. Then what about show dog owners who cannot neuter, it would be very expensive for them if they have a few unneutered show dogs yet these are the ones who are least likely to let their dogs roam free having woops litters or pumping out litter after litter for profit.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    For that to work you would need serious man power to go around checking licences and handing out fines.

You wouldn't if you made the fine €250, for a first offence, instead of €30 & you appointed a collection company on a commission basis like clampers :eek: We would have 90% compliance within 3 months !

Maybe breeders should have to pay as they are increasing the dog population when it needs reducing.

The Vac exemption is more to ensure that the dog is seen by a Vet once a year.

That is a very good idea. However most people don't even bother paying €12.70 for a licence at the moment as it is so those same people are certainly not going to pay €100 or see it that they should fork out €100+ for neutering and then pay a reduced licence when they wouldn't pay the €12.70 in the first place. For that to work you would need serious man power to go around checking licences and handing out fines.

It is a great idea, and one that has been rolled out in a number of countries. As locally as Northern Ireland, their brand spanking new animal welfare act offers a reduced licence for owners of neutered dogs. Their legislation also allows for people to own the "banned breeds" or dogs that have been convicted of being dangerous but spared being euthanased, as long as they are neutered, as well as some other provisions such as being on lead at all times in public.
    However, and here's the but! As you say Zapperzy, the manpower to enforce this in Ireland, a country where we tend to be dismissive of animal-related laws, would need a serious overhaul. The wrdens around my neck of the woods were always very proactive, doing door-to-door inspections of licences, and everyone in the area had their dogs licenced. But there's been no sign of them for several years now, I'll bet the number of licences has plummeted since.
    An interesting comparison can be drawn between dog control and livestock control in Ireland. Say what you like about them, the Dept. of Ag. runs a very tight ship with cattle, sheep (since the Cooley Mountain fiasco in the Foot and Mouth crisis a few years ago) etc.. not one single animal can move anywhere without the Dept knowing. Each animal is ID'd with a tag, and it's every movement from birth to death is monitored.
    The technology is there. It can be done. I wonder what vested interests are stopping it from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You wouldn't if you made the fine €250, for a first offence, instead of €30 & you appointed a collection company on a commission basis like clampers :eek: We would have 90% compliance within 3 months !

Maybe breeders should have to pay as they are increasing the dog population when it needs reducing.

The Vac exemption is more to ensure that the dog is seen by a Vet once a year.

Hmm yes if you upped the fine and made sure the money went back into the dog warden and pounds that could work along with a collection company.

Yes puppy farmers should have to pay but the responsible breeders should not lose out.

Again responsible owners will ensure their dogs sees a vet once a year, perhaps just something a vet should sign once a year when they see the dog for a check up.
    DBB wrote: »
    An interesting comparison can be drawn between dog control and livestock control in Ireland. Say what you like about them, the Dept. of Ag. runs a very tight ship with cattle, sheep (since the Cooley Mountain fiasco in the Foot and Mouth crisis a few years ago) etc.. not one single animal can move anywhere without the Dept knowing. Each animal is ID'd with a tag, and it's every movement from birth to death is monitored.
    The technology is there. It can be done. I wonder what vested interests are stopping it from happening.

Thats a good point. If compulsory microchipping was brought in and the same sort of a system was introduced as is already there for livestock. Think about it, if a dog was found roaming it could be traced back to the owner who should be fined, if a dog attacks a person it can be traced back to the owner and the owner should be done for it, it would free up the pounds as dogs would be instantly traceable back to the owner who can be contacted so no 5 day stay.

I have images of dogs running around with yellow tags in their ears though! :D

Thats a good point. If compulsory microchipping was brought in and the same sort of a system was introduced as is already there for livestock. Think about it, if a dog was found roaming it could be traced back to the owner who should be fined, if a dog attacks a person it can be traced back to the owner and the owner should be done for it, it would free up the pounds as dogs would be instantly traceable back to the owner who can be contacted so no 5 day stay.

I have images of dogs running around with yellow tags in their ears though! :D

Ah but you could bling them up... Burberry ear tag anyone?

The Irish Farmers Association was starting to make a lot of noise a year or two ago about compulsory microchipping of dogs, from the viewpoint that dogs who attack livesock would be traceable, and the owner therefore liable.
    I don't know if they've stopped making noise, or is there something afoot to make this a reality, but you never know, this ideal of having all dogs microchipped might come about from an unlikely source!
    But, if it came to pass that microchipping became compulsory, and it was enforced, it would almost overnight put a whole new slant on dog ownership. All of a sudden, it would make each owner accountable. This, in itself, might just put an end to people buying dogs on a whim. All of sudden, it wouldn't be quite so easy to own a dog, unless the owner is committed to taking responsibility for their dog.

DBB wrote: »
    Ah but you could bling them up... Burberry ear tag anyone?

The dog license should be a colour coded tag that has to be on the collar. It would have a simple bar code that links it to a central database.

I totally oppose the idea of Councils having anything to do with dog control & none of the money should go to them. It should be totally privatised & the performance parameter for retaining the contract should focus on rehoming figures.

It needs to be a national agency as there is too much local variation - no one has been prosecuted in Galway in recent years.

Anyone who thinks that Dog Wardens here do a good job should read this. It shows what can be done if you employ people who love animals rather than waste removers:

http://www.wokingham-berkshire.org.uk/site-admin/events/1159-howls-of-wokingham-delight-as-mandy-is-named-dog-warden-of-the-year/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can I just remind everyone that this thread is supposed to about health benefits of getting male dogs neutered. So can we all stay on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Someone spoke re not neutering early?

Many advocate juvenile neutering so that the male dog has no hormone memory, which is clearly of great benefit for behaviour and peace for the dog. The only real side effect is that the dog can become a little leggy.

Given the choice, this is our chosen way.

Advertisement