Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I got in the post today!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

From the recent AgainstTheGrain forum (http://www.againstthegrain.uk.com/) Shavemac group buy -

29647779824_77dd36d140.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Orion wrote: »
    How good are the razorock brushes? Looking at some of the deals on Italian Barber - loving the prices. Been meaning to try out razorock soap - any specific one you'd recommend. If it helps my go-to creams include ToBS Sandalwood and ToBS Grapefruit, Proraso Green and Palmolive.

I havn't seen anyone argue against the razorock plissoft not being as good as the l'occitane plisson. It's a great brush and cheap. There soaps are very good, smell good and really easy to lather. I use my Razorock & Soap Commander soaps over my TOBS sandlewood or Ethon College.
    Both of the soaps are great but the razorock is the stronger scent which i prefer. Don Marco is good but not like the scents you have. Heard tripple X is great but havn't used it yet

Shipping is expensive though and takes about 2 weeks to arrive. You can't track once it gets to thr final stop before the plane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yeah I've heard great things about the triple x one too. Placed an order last week - went for the Emperor instead though.

1x Handmade Authentic Buffalo Horn Palm Lathering Bowl - Small - (For Kits - CSKB)
    1x RazoRock Don Marco Shaving Soap - (For Kits - CSKB)
    1x RazoRock Blondie Boar Bristle Shaving Brush - (For Kits - CSKB)
    1x RazoRock Emperor After Shaving Splash
    1x RazoRock Emperor Shaving Cream Soap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I got a tube of DR Harris Arlington today. More or less got it to see if the scent was as nice as the consensus seems to be on forums.

Have to say, I don't think I like the scent very much myself. It's very floral, not sure exactly what kind of floral....maybe freshly cut hedging or something? It's a little overpowering but maybe I'll get used to it.

I don't think it lathers as well as Almond either and I have some irritation but I'll hold judgment on that until I've honed it in a little after another couple of shaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Just got a Merkur Progress plus some Gillette yellows, greens and silver blues looking forward to trying them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

400564.jpg

Received this on Monday, not from postman but from my cousin. What a wonderful gift. Fat Tony's shave kit.

Delighted with it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This lot arrived today. Thoughts on this for someone starting out? Anything missing?

1 x Muhle R89 Classic Razor
    1 x Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave Gel
    1 x Deluxe Styptic Pencil
    1 x Edwin Jagger Ivory Shaving Mug
    1 x 50 Blade Premium Selection Sampler
    1 x Taylor of Old Bond St Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
    1 x Semogue Owners Club 2 Boar Cherry

That's perfect to get you started. I do really like the TOBS Sandalwood - great choice for a first cream. Before you go buying anything else try out the different blades and focus on honing your technique. Every face is different so techniques vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My Edwin Jagger DE89L fell on the floor a couple of days ago and broke. I got three good years out of it.

I decided to go for the Muhle R89 Classic. I couldn't justify getting anything more expensive considering I have a beard so I only shave half my face :pac:

I also got the Proraso beard balm as I find it really nice. And I decided to get some Proraso aftershave lotion and the travel size pre-shave cream :)

AO3DyIs.jpg

I have the R89 Grande - same razor with longer handle. As its a 3 piece you can get different handles for it without changing the head. Lovely razor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Got a tub of DR Harris Almond and a shave stick of DR Harris Marlborough. The shave stick is fantastic. Great shave. Lacks a bit in terms of strength of scent but really smooth shave and face feels nice and soft after it too. I love Harris stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

IMG_20170115_203646.jpg

This came in the post yesterday. Had my first shave with it this morning, took a little while to get used to the size but once I did it was a really great little razor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online shop for shaving products other than shaving.ie. It's that he just doesn't seem to have a lot of what I am looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There's actually a good few options in the UK these days. I normally stick to Connaught Shaving (http://connaughtshaving.com/) and Maggards (http://www.maggardrazors.com/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

giftsandcare.com have been good in the few times I've used them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online shop for shaving products other than shaving.ie. It's that he just doesn't seem to have a lot of what I am looking for.

What are you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Cella, 3p pre shave & institut de Paris asb. I also thought Razorock products were more expensive than other online stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Cella, 3p pre shave & institut de Paris asb. I also thought Razorock products were more expensive than other online stores.

https://www.shavingstation.co.uk/razorock-shaving-soap/

http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/7-5-tsr-discount-code-shavingstation-co-uk.36445/

I had a lovely razor arrive this morning. A Kyoei folding kamisori.

I've been looking for a folding kamisori for a while and finally picked one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I had a lovely razor arrive this morning. A Kyoei folding kamisori.

I've been looking for a folding kamisori for a while and finally picked one up.

Dose the WD40 lather well?

• Advertisement

It's more for helping the razor glide across the skin than for lathering.

They are actually pictures from the seller. Pictures I took didn't show any detail in the scales.

Been a bit quiet here recently. Was in Spain recently and brought along some Jabonman. Ended up placing an order on my return which just arrived today.

GNOxOxOl.jpg

Really thankful for all the samples as I was especially curious about a couple of them.

Standouts to my nose are the fougere and tobacco which are both beautiful scents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I got a notification from Shaving.ie that the Muhle R41 head was back in stock yesterday so I quickly ordered it and it arrived this morning. Tried it with a Voskhod and got a very close shave. I had found them to be quite mild in my EJ DE89

Also, just back from a week in Italy so I stocked up on Prorasso. I had used the hard soap before but tried a tube to see what it's like and it gives the same lather in half the time. Unfortunately I could only find it in green although I tried several shops. I may have overdone it a bit!

Was my birthday on Tuesday so Mrs. O and the kids got me this. Year of birth Gillette - P2 date code. Haven't tried it yet but it will certainly take pride of place in my collection.

418838.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I got a razor from Aliexpress yesterday. It's called a Q-shave and seems to be a Futur imitation. People on B&B seems to have good things to say and at about $7 including 5 blades it seems worth a try. I haven't gotten around to giving it a test drive yet though it does look good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men-Double-Edge-Safety-Shaving-Razor-Adjustable-1-6-Files-Classic-Double-Edge-Razors-1-handle/32791325508.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.DXKZf8

Does the actual product match the pictures? If so it looks like an impressive clone.

Yeah, attached is the actual razor. It looks good but I don't have a real one to compare with.

Hah, picked one up for fun. At that price why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

stimpson wrote: »

Also, just back from a week in Italy so I stocked up on Prorasso. I had used the hard soap before but tried a tube to see what it's like and it gives the same lather in half the time. Unfortunately I could only find it in green although I tried several shops. I may have overdone it a bit!

ya its seriously cheap over there

also could only find it in green
    if I had known how many kg I had left in my suitcase I would have bought the whole stock in the shop, probably a few years worth for less than €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

adrian522 wrote: »
    I got a razor from Aliexpress yesterday. It's called a Q-shave and seems to be a Futur imitation. People on B&B seems to have good things to say and at about $7 including 5 blades it seems worth a try. I haven't gotten around to giving it a test drive yet though it does look good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men-Double-Edge-Safety-Shaving-Razor-Adjustable-1-6-Files-Classic-Double-Edge-Razors-1-handle/32791325508.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.DXKZf8

Looks good for a cheap clone, how does it shave - would be interested in getting one if half decent.

Advertisement