Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I got in the post today!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Chest hair does give a better approximate. Gave it a try with my very near wedge that I honed a couple of weeks ago and it still cuts the chest hair pretty easily.

I'll try rememberr to give it a try next time I've just honed and stropped a razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

Couldnt resist getting a second razor. This beauty came in the post today, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow :D

237995.jpg

Is that an Iwisaki kamisori?

It is indeed, its the 50mm blade one. It looks great and feels pretty good in the hand even though its a fair bit smaller than my western straight. Going to give it a test drive in the morning, cant wait :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I recently picked up another new Weber DE.
    http://www.weberrazor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Polished-Wave-1.jpg

polishedwave1.jpg

Also whilst not exactly in the post, I picked up the following in Carrefour
    La Toja shaving soap sticks @ € 1.64 each
    La Toja shaving cream tube @ 1.72 each
    Nivea shaving cream tube @ 2.25 each
    Floid aftershave balm @ 5.64 each
    Twenty euro went a long way!

• Advertisement

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    It is indeed, its the 50mm blade one. It looks great and feels pretty good in the hand even though its a fair bit smaller than my western straight. Going to give it a test drive in the morning, cant wait :P

So how did it go?

It was great, a lot easier to use then I expected and the smaller blade size really helped maneuvering. The only real down side was it isnt quite shave ready. With a little touch up though I can see it becoming by far my favoured razor.

I assume you've read up on sharpening them and know about using more strokes on one side of the kamisori.

Yeah I've been watching as many videos on youtube about it I could find and reading up on straightrazorplace too. Most seem to favour either a 7:1, 10:1 ratio or thereabouts it seems. The plan at the moment is to essentially try to copy one of the better videos I found albeit with as few strokes as I can get away with (the edge is pretty much there, I can shave with it but theres just a little bit of pulling and tugging going on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Received Taylor of Bond street Lemon and Lime Shaving cream and the DE sampler pack to get me started.
    Still using my boots razor till my technique improves, but looking forward to trying out the new blades.

How strong a scent should there be from the shaving cream ?
    I mixed up a lovely lather but there was only a very very faint smell, hardly notice it.
    Is it just the scent I picked, or would the others be similar ?

• Advertisement

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been watching as many videos on youtube about it I could find and reading up on straightrazorplace too. Most seem to favour either a 7:1, 10:1 ratio or thereabouts it seems. The plan at the moment is to essentially try to copy one of the better videos I found albeit with as few strokes as I can get away with (the edge is pretty much there, I can shave with it but theres just a little bit of pulling and tugging going on)

I went with a 10:3 ratio I believe and it worked nicely. 7:1 and 10:1 do seem to be the most common.

If the edge is there then you'll probably only need 12k and above to get it where it needs to be. They are fairly easy to hone to be honest - just make sure you have more pressure on the edge than spine. The spine can have softer steel than the edge so can wear out quicker than the edge through honing.
    will56 wrote: »
    Received Taylor of Bond street Lemon and Lime Shaving cream and the DE sampler pack to get me started.
    Still using my boots razor till my technique improves, but looking forward to trying out the new blades.

How strong a scent should there be from the shaving cream ?
    I mixed up a lovely lather but there was only a very very faint smell, hardly notice it.
    Is it just the scent I picked, or would the others be similar ?

I have the same stuff and it smells fairly strong in the tub. I haven't used it in a while so I an't remember how much scent comes through during the shave though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

I have the same stuff and it smells fairly strong in the tub. I haven't used it in a while so I an't remember how much scent comes through during the shave though.

Mine was in the tube, I wonder is that having an effect on the smell ?
    No real smell even before getting a lather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Got this old lad in the post today :)

P1280517E2_zpsbdacaebb.jpg

P1280529E2_zps3f800c07.jpg

P1280530E2_zps0c043d67.jpg

P1280534E2_zpsf03a50ee.jpg

I've been tempted to pick up one of those old blades in the past.

Let us know how the honing and shaving with it go.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I went with a 10:3 ratio I believe and it worked nicely. 7:1 and 10:1 do seem to be the most common.

If the edge is there then you'll probably only need 12k and above to get it where it needs to be. They are fairly easy to hone to be honest - just make sure you have more pressure on the edge than spine. The spine can have softer steel than the edge so can wear out quicker than the edge through honing.

I gave it a few strokes on the naniwa 12k, went with a 7:1 in the end just to follow along the honing video I was copping. It only took two sets of the 7 and 1 to get it popping arm hair so I took it for a test shave then. Fantastic shave, fantastic razor.

I've been tempted to pick up one of those old blades in the past.

Let us know how the honing and shaving with it go.

Will do, I have two other stubtails as well and I like how they shave although the can come with their fair share of problems. I was very surprised to see that this razor was completely straight with no warping what so ever.

I just wanna give it a light clean with some mass on the buffing wheel first before I hone it up, just to get rid of any dirt and grime off it. I'm still not sure on the maker yet, it could be Samuel Norris Sheffield (c1795-1815) but he usualy used (*P) as his trademark so I'm not sure if it's the same person. However I did find another razor that's like mine and marked S Norris on page 18 of the following document which dates it to 18th century.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/118434349/Shaving-Wigs-Hygiene

Could it possibly be a case of it was made before he started using a trademark?

I wanna see pics after youve buffed it. I'm intrigued to see how much just MAAS can do.

Could it possibly be a case of it was made before he started using a trademark?

I wanna see pics after youve buffed it. I'm intrigued to see how much just MAAS can do.

Will do, you'd be surprised at what MAAS can do, it won't remove much in the way of deep scratches but if you want to clean dirt and water marks ect. it will work very well. It's perfect for a project like this as it will clean the blade without damaging it. I've found MAAS actually works surprisingly well on horn and shell scales as well, I actually prefer using this to the light brown finishing compound I have. It will give those types of scales that really shiney wet look with not much effort, I use it on a soft buffing wheel. The only thing I dislike about it is the smell, it's quite strong and if you use it on scales it will take a few days to dissapate.

I recently found out that the Dr. K Soap Company out of Cork, have added more shaving related stuff to their product line. Well I placed an order on Wednesday evening and it arrived this morning.

photo2007a.jpg

I didn't use the soap (it smells very nice to me) but did use the other 3 today. I'm quite impressed by them so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

So, I didn't exactly get it in the post but I noticed an unused box of shaving soap on my uncle's shelf today. He no longer wants it so I shall add it to my collection, t'is Yardley shaving soap which is apparently somewhat of a rarity so wahey for me... :D

• Advertisement

I got a stick of Arko today. It, eh, smells.... interesting.

That's probably the nicest way I can describe it at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

I got a stick of Arko today. It, eh, smells.... interesting.

That's probably the nicest way I can describe it at the minute.
    I was looking at a video on youtube where someone likened the smell to industrial cleaner, cheap hotel soap and lemony urine cake! But he did say it had great lather.

It's closer to the urinal cake than the other two for me. I'll use it later this week and see what it performs like. I'm hoping the scent dies sown a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

splish wrote: »
    But he did say it had great lather.

I find it quite a harsh lather, tightens the skin something awful. Pure soap-like, if you get me.

I like the scent, Citronella is quite probably in the mix.

EDIT: hitemfrank, surprised you haven't used it before now.

It was always one of the soaps I'd planned to add into another order I was making, but I kept forgetting to. I happened to had 8 quid left on a 3V card last week so decided to pick it up finally.

Citronella is indeed in it. It seems pretty intense in it.

I've a couple of sticks I picked up some years back and haven't gotten around to using either.
    The reviews and comments on the scent being similar to school bogs was probably a factor!
    I recall reading they changed the formula a couple of years back - changed the tallow possibly.
    Must root through the stash over the weekend and give the arko a try.

The stick I recieved was made in Feb 2012 and it still has tallow in it.

I've actually just opened the wrapper on the stick entirely in the hopes that the scent fades a little.

The stick I recieved was made in Feb 2012 and it still has tallow in it.

I've actually just opened the wrapper on the stick entirely in the hopes that the scent fades a little.

You're spot on, it was Erasmic and not Arko who changed the ingredients a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Got these today, Muhle R89, Semogue 1305 and some blades. Great service as usual from shaving.ie.
    20130501162656.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

Razor looks lovely :)

Advertisement