Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I got in the post today!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭jpb1974

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I bought a tube of Ingram cream today. I feel like such a failure :(

Think I'll try it out tomorrow though :D

Few euro.. no harm. I just sent 35 euro to Nanny :-\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Few euro.. no harm. I just sent 35 euro to Nanny :-\

What ones did you order?

I've no willpower...

Citrus Zinger olive oil shaving soap
    Eucalyptus & Tea Tree - Vegan
    Grapefruit and Lemongrass - Vegan
    Arabian Nights - Vegan

Junior decided he wanted in on the action... this is his second night in a row (no blade in the razor)

9466129489_066c9c86bb.jpg

That's a great picture.

That's a great picture.

Thanks! Great to have a record of these sort of moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The great thing about Nanny's compared to other artisan makers I've tried is that she constantly improves her formulas based on feedback from real shavers.

It doesn't seem like a work in progress to me. Nanny's is quickly moving into my top 3. I just wish over half her scents weren't out of stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

newkie wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like a work in progress to me. Nanny's is quickly moving into my top 3. I just wish over half her scents weren't out of stock.

When she started a few years back it was just with the soft soap, this was followed by the hard soap and most recently the soft soap with olive oil. Each time she launches a new product it is only after listening to feedback from users and a sample/focus group to ensure it works as it should. I stuck another order in, really wish she would do a hard soap with some goats milk!

I just got some soft soap. Since you seem to be in the know would you care to compare and contrast her various offerings? What does goats milk and olive oil do? Which do you prefer and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

newkie wrote: »
    I just got some soft soap. Since you seem to be in the know would you care to compare and contrast her various offerings? What does goats milk and olive oil do? Which do you prefer and why?

Have a read of this (I can't believe it has been 4 years since I was involved in this!).
    http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-8131-page-3.html

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-19370.html olive oil soap

l'lll post up some comments on what I've tried tomorrow - when sober ;)

Nanny's arrived today... some Polsilver Super Iridium blades too. Will try later this evening... not really primed for a shave tonight, could do with another 24 hours, but needs must.

• Advertisement

Nanny's and Super Iridium were a very nice combo. Nanny's gives a very slick lather, felt a bit more like a good shaving cream than your standard soap lather. Polsilver blade was very smooth, will become a regular in my rotation for sure.

Only irritation... a 10 year old who I can't seem to shake off come shaving time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Nanny's and Super Iridium were a very nice combo. Nanny's gives a very slick lather, felt a bit more like a good shaving cream than your standard soap lather. Polsilver blade was very smooth, will become a regular in my rotation for sure.

Only irritation... a 10 year old who I can't seem to shake off come shaving time.

Give him an empty DE and some lather.

MadsL wrote: »
    Give him an empty DE and some lather.

See post #154

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85903731&postcount=154

:)

Gave Nanny's Arabian Nights a try this evening... very pleasant shave, scent very weird though.. not quiet unpleasant, but bordering on something strange. Scent aside... a very nice performer, skin feels great after the shave.

Nanny's Grapefruit and Lemongrass this evening.

Again.. great shave, skin feels great.. the scent I'm lost on.. smelt the same as the Arabian Night if you ask me, with some strange smell common to both of them.

Try the Eucalyptus & Tea Tree. It reminds me of being in a spa. I really like it.

I also got the Arabian Night and had a more positive reaction to the smell than you. I've bumping it in the rotation to try again tomorrow to see if I can see where you're coming from (we most likely got one from the same batch having bought so close together). I wouldn't rate it as interesting as the DRH Marlborough that I used this morning, but "weird" or "strange" never crossed my mind. As it's more of a croap I wonder is there something in the base recipe your not used to / fond of?

Th Eucalyptus & Tea Tree was fine, this is the one I used Monday. To be honest... anything with Eucalyptus you couldn't go wrong.

The Arabian Nights and Grapefruit / Lemongrass were just a bit strange. They both seem pretty similar to me, and both have this 'rubbery' type smell to them. I just grabbed both jars and smelt them and I'm positive they smell a bit strange.

That being said... a very good performer, I like them a lot. Gonna give the hard soaps a try next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Got this in the post yesterday, I was trying to resist buying razors but this one caught my eye and couldn't resist a good deal, got it for €19 including the postage. There is a bit of damage to the bottom of one of the scales but that doesn't really bother me that much. Other than that it should clean up nicely.

P8160936_zps0d7fb90b.jpg

G. Johnson (1810-1855)

P8160946_zps948aeb7c.jpg

Nice flower washers on it.

Are you going to rescale that or just try salvage them? They look like horn so probably could be brought back to life.

Are you going to rescale that or just try salvage them? They look like horn so probably could be brought back to life.

Nah I'm just gonna leave them, I've oiled them and polished them up and I'm happy with how they turned out. Translucent horn always look like they're in a worse state than they actually are, mostly due to the fact that they kind of dry out over the years, a bit of oil and a bit of polishing can go a long way.

I would like to rescale the razor but I've never peened a razor before and would be worried about damaging the washers, plus I like keeping everything original.

I will post some pictures in a bit so you can see how it's looking now.

• Advertisement

Here's what it's looking like so far. Didn't get to fully finish the job as it started raining (I work outside). One more overall polish should do it, then I will get to hone it up :D

P8160959_zpsfbe150a9.jpg

P8160967_zpsf8d2ee37.jpg

Don't rescale that. They are gorgeous flower washers. Nice find.

Got a batch of the Black Gillette 7 O'clock blades from India during the week. Having now shaved twice with one, have to say I do find them very, very nice.

Also got some Mystic Water Soap from the States yesterday. Tried the Sandalwood and Rose last night.. found the scent a bit odd, missus didn't like it at all. Bit hit and miss with my first attempt at lathering last night, admittedly I was mucking around a bit trying a few things differently, but the shave was very good, skin felt great afterwards.

Just did a lather test on the Mystic Water Coconut Lime Verbana, no messing about this time.

Later was good, as was the fresh, pleasant. scent

Will give this a full try out this evening.

9625096802_708b0b7878.jpg

Problem with all these soaps is I'm shaving every night trying to test them.. I really need a good 3 days growth to do a good test but can't resist the temptation of wanting to try these ASAP.

I decided to buy a strop last week as so bought one from ebay for about 12 quid. I was after one with a handle. Picture from ebay;

$(KGrHqJHJCIFGrF3TuUCBR1DC0zFKw~~60_12.JPG

I wasn't paying much attention when I bought it so didn't realise the size it actually was (it was in the description, so my fault). Picture compared to my other strop;

6p9nip.jpg

So it's a bit small compared to my normal strop, but both of the leather strops are pretty good. I used it on Monday and Tuesday and it will take some some getting used to. You have to be careful not to hit the razor on the metal at the top and ruin the edge. This will now be a travel strop for me and I'll pick up another strop at some point.

I then did something quite stupid yesterday and in the process of stropping managed to ram my thumb pad into the razor. No straight razor shaves for me for a while.

I also picked up some aftershaves in Lidl yesterday. For 2.99 each I figured they were worth trying out.

2s8qrnl.jpg

The blue one smells like Davidoff Coolwater, the balm smells a lot like Proraso after shave balm and the other one probably smells similar to something else, but I don't know what :D

I then did something quite stupid yesterday and in the process of stropping managed to ram my thumb pad into the razor.

Ouch, but you know the rule pics or GTFO!

We need to see the razor is alright.

Also - a pic of your thumb could be interesting I suppose :D

MadsL wrote: »
    Ouch, but you know the rule pics or GTFO!

We need to see the razor is alright.

Also - a pic of your thumb could be interesting I suppose :D

Don't worry, the razor survived it's very one sided battle with my thumb pad unscathed.

Also the pic of my thumb is not graphic. The razor just about cut a small flap of skin off, so I just have a different coloured patch of skin at the moment.

Gave Stirling Soaps 'Anise' a try last night.

Very good stuff and at just $5 (USD) a puck worth a try if you're thinking about buying something from the States.

Rod (the guy who runs Sterling Soaps) is very helpful, quick to respond to emails and is pretty quick to ship stuff (i.e. the complete opposite to Mikes).

• Advertisement

How much were the shipping costs?

Advertisement