Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pig breeders?

• 25-07-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking to get a pair of sows. I'm honestly not very trusting of the regular pet shop, and having bred rabbits in the past would prefer to get them quite young (for taming purposes, hand rearing) and directly from the source.

Does anyone know any breeders in dublin or surrounding areas? Or do you know anyone whose guinea pigs have had babies?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrsmalooly

Hi, was wondering if you had any luck finding a breeder?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Have a look on irishguineapigs.findtalk.net and also have a look on Done Deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Why would you want/need to hand rear guinea pigs? Hand rearing is usually done when an animal is seperated from the mother too early, so why would you seek to do that? Guinea pigs can be completely tamed with time, without having to remove them rom the mother too early.

Any guinea pig breeders around, are probably the same ones that supply the local pet shops. Have you considered a rescue piggie? There are soemtimes quite young ones available, and taming wont be an issue if you invest enough time.
    Or find a good, decent pet shop. Have a good look around, maybe on a couple of visits. Make sure they are kept in adequate conditions for a piggie and not with the rabbits. Talk to the staff. If you get a good feeling from the place, and everything is ok from a welfare point of view, then get a couple of piggies from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are a handful of responsible breeders but as said hand rearing is only done if an animals mother has died or can't provide milk, maybe you just worded it wrong? Guinea pigs eat solid food from a couple of days of age anyway with the help of their mum feeding them too and it would be a good idea to take a baby away from their mum until they are fully weaned you want a healthy guinea pig so the best thing to do is wait until they are fully weaned and strong and healthy.

If you pm me I can give you the name of a breeder or two that do breed responsibly, they also take in rescue guineas as well at times so you have two options. Good on you for not choosing a pet shop, some don't even know where their animals come from half the time and at least with a good breeder or a good rescue you will have some come back should things not workout or if you just need advice.

Advertisement