Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Scotland MTB road trip Videos

• 25-07-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

We took a week and done Glentress/Innerleithen, Laggan Wolftrax and then the Nevis range, xc witches trail, Nevis Red and the World cup DH. I would loved to have had a big rig for the Downhill trail and some more balls to keep it pinned in places I was on the brakes. I have heard the stories about how rough it is but never imagined it was as rough and steep until I rode it. Even going up in the gondola I was saying it doesnt look that bad. Great weeks biking and here is some of the footage.

The mixture of the full week 4mins 40
    http://www.vimeo.com/26824386

The Full World Cup Downhill Trail 8mins 27
    (Without my stops and the huge drop off that was closed, Thank f. and the first few berms when I realised the "Fvcking camera wasnt rollin" even left in me binning it!)
    http://www.vimeo.com/26768749

The Full Nevis Red route 13mins 47
    http://www.vimeo.com/26841673

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

Very nice vids. Can't afford to get into mtb atm as i just bought a new racer... Maybe next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cool vids, nasty fall there, I'd be like a little girl crying after that.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

hard to beat go pro,

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Cheers. Still buzzin from that trip it was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Fcukin wow amazing!! well done.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I wish I could like the OP twice.. That was class, really enjoyed it :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

I'll tell you what I like about that vid, its one thing seeing the pro's bombing down those tracks, its another seeing a 'normal' human - gives you a far better appreciation of how difficult the trails are!

Excellent vid, and well done - great riding!! Go Pro camera's are unreal!

Funny you say that we watched a few gopro runs from Greg minnear, danny heart etc before we went over and they make it look effortless.

It really is a lot of work that DH trail and I was knackered at the bottom. That was me stopping to put the chain on after the crash stopping to look at the drop off and stopping to take off the goggles as they were mucked to fvck and that was a dry day.

I enjoyed it on the bike I have but a full DH rig would definitely help.

MREGAN wrote: »
    Funny you say that we watched a few gopro runs from Greg minnear, danny heart etc before we went over and they make it look effortless.

It really is a lot of work that DH trail and I was knackered at the bottom. That was me stopping to put the chain on after the crash stopping to look at the drop off and stopping to take off the goggles as they were mucked to fvck and that was a dry day.

Would you mind telling me what the song and band are in the first video?

I really like it :)

Tallon wrote: »
    MREGAN wrote: »

Would you mind telling me what the song and band are in the first video?

I really like it :)
    It's a guy from up north used to play in a bar I done the door in. Stage name Joe Echo, Song "Where we wanna be"

He is pretty big now wrote a song that madonna had in the charts. Look him up on YouTube. Great musician.

• Advertisement

Cheers, just watched those videos there again, really amazing stuff

I think I will organise a trip there for sure, just need to sort out some MTB's

Tallon wrote: »
    Cheers, just watched those videos there again, really amazing stuff

I think I will organise a trip there for sure, just need to sort out some MTB's

Cheers it is well worth the trip. I will be going back for sure. Fort William has a great atmosphere. Similar to a snow ski holiday. There is so much other stuff to do up there for families too. High ropes looks class as well.

Cheers for the comments on vimeo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Very good, - was over there myself also had a great time. They are set up so well for mountain biking over there its unreal, - and they're reaping the rewards from the number of tourists I saw (mostly from England I would guess).

Hopefully the folks in Bord Failte/Coillte etc. will cop on to the potential for mountain biking in this country.
    They're getting the idea slowly, but are stilll a long,long way behind, - especally when it comes to catering for more experienced bikers (who let's face it, are the ones that would come here as tourists). There is massive potential in it. Especially the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, - its a huge resource to have on the doorstep of the capital, - with quick ferry links to the UK right next to it.
    It's heartening to notice that 430Keuro of funding was recently made available in the tourism capital fund for the country's first international level DH track in Killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yup cant wait for that track to materialize down here in kerry will be great stuff, i think there is an xc track as well as a dh track, what i want to know though is with 400k euro you could build a network of trails and it would seem a waste to just have one xc and one dh trail, either way mtbing looks like its on the rise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Well, you'd probably need a bit of a carpark and some limited facilities as well. But 400K+ should do a nice bit these days.
    MTBing can be to Ireland what skiiing is to Austria, Andorra etc., It's a massive sport in the UK, exponentially bigger than here, - but they need challenging, interesting tracks if they're to bother coming here - it just takes a little vision to bring them over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

we have a lot of the same terrain over here that they would have in england its just that the people involved in the tourisim/coilte side of things are only beginning to realize that its actually a pretty big sport these days, look at how ballyhouras is doing sure.

if these lads are trying to build a good few trails but are running out of €'s all they have to do is get in touch with a couple of cycling clubs for some free labor....id be more than willing to help build trails as would a load of other mtbers i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

really great videos mate! looks brilliant.

do you know where i can rent a proper bike and gear in ireland to do this?
    are there any decent tracks near dublin?

would really love to give it a go!! (especially after watching your videos)

The potential for revenue is massive. But someone hit the nail on the head above. The trails have to be of advanced standards good reds, blacks and orange DH/Bike park type trails.

In the North of Ireland we have seen a few developments like Castle Ward and Blessingbourne pop up recently. It tooks years of work to get these trails in place but they are aimed at families and beginners. This type of development is brilliant for the sport and to get people into the sport but the big money is in more advanced trails. The more advanced we can get the better chance we have of attracting the Scottish, Welsh or English mountain bike tourists.

Depends where you are based. Lots of bike shops rent bikes out. Blessingbourne trail centre in the north have bike rentals available, also castleward. Some of the lads on here could tell you better about the southern bike shops. As said depends were you are based. You don't need a special bike tho just grab a mountain bike and go riding.

derv wrote: »
    really great videos mate! looks brilliant.

do you know where i can rent a proper bike and gear in ireland to do this?
    are there any decent tracks near dublin?

would really love to give it a go!! (especially after watching your videos)

Ticknock or Ballinastoe are close to Dublin. Not sure if there is bike hire on site but there is a few good shops in Dublin would sort you out. Or as I said above just get a mountain bike in good working order and go ride. Lots of people think you need the top spec bikes etc. Any bike will get you started then upgrade as you need to.

Glad the videos made you want to give it a go. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

wow nice videos, how much is the trek bike?3 r 4 grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

class vids, just makes we want to go there so much! have a nice new cube carbon bike id love to take then some of them routes

Whitehawk wrote: »
    class vids, just makes we want to go there so much! have a nice new cube carbon bike id love to take then some of them routes
    Cheers. It really is a class set up over there. Hopefully we are getting more an more opportunities popping up here for trail centres. Long may it continue.

Advertisement