Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim card - block it from dialling international ?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have a SIM card in a pager device connected to my house alarm. Every once in a while, it will send a TXT to a +86 number (8615814787522) whereas I have it programmed only ever to send and respond to my own specific +353 number.

Is there any way to lock the SIM card so that it cannot dial international numbers ? Or perhaps put a 'white list' of approved numbers into it ?

Thanks
    Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

I know that outgoing international voice calls can easily be blocked, although I'm not sure if this will block international SMS too.

Most operators have anti-bullying polices now, so I suppose you could have that number blocked on your account using that service?

/T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Thanks T, it's an O2 PAYG SIM - O2 weren't overally helpful as the number being called or TXTd is not a premium-rate number. Also, it's not always the same number - but always an international one. I am betting the calls are coming from one of those silent-callers of 'lottery win' scammers.

Anyway, it would suit me to implement a 'white list' on the SIM, but I bet that's not possible :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

I would keep pressing them for the international barring. The Customer Care chaps probably have a script to stick by, but its very simple change to make if they put the request on the right persons desk.

If the number changes, its probably a bit tougher to block using the Anti-Bullying, but it must be a finite amount of numbers its dialing too.

/T

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

This number must be programmed into the dialer for it to be sending the text. What type dialer are you using ?

It's a K311 Chinese-made device. It's actually a tracking device for a car, but I am using it purely to send txts based on a +12v input.

Been working fine in standalone mode, in the car, and now connected to the house alarm. However has always exhibited random yet infrequent txts out - which it would do if someone calls it.

As I say, works brilliantly - dozens of legit calls/txts and then one random one. Blocking INTL calls/txts would solve its problem. Implementing a whitelist would be golden.

• Advertisement

I would get on to the manufacture as these must be preprogrammed numbers it is texting to. Blocking the number is a good idea but if the unit decides to text this number before texting you an event it may delay the process.

It's Chinese-made so I don't fancy my chances...

I prefer the idea of being able to block my SIM. Technically that would be a very easy thing to do. Operationally... no idea if O2 want to provide that option

franksm wrote: »
    It's Chinese-made so I don't fancy my chances...

I prefer the idea of being able to block my SIM. Technically that would be a very easy thing to do. Operationally... no idea if O2 want to provide that option

That could be a problem :D

Why not ask that question here ;)

Didn't even know that existed ! Thanks !

franksm wrote: »
    Didn't even know that existed ! Thanks !

Your welcome, if I could read Chinese I would look in the manual to see if the number could be deleted rather than try block it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement