Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sashimi

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Any tips on preparing sashimi at home? I don't live in a place where I can get sushi grade fish. The fishmonger I spoke with said if I froze the fish, defrosted it, then it could be used for sashimi. Reading online the fish needs to be frozen on the boat once its caught. I'm thinking why not just buy frozen fish? but then all the flavour is gone. Is freezing for a day or two after buying fresh fish the way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Why would you try to make sashimi if you don't have access to the freshest of fresh fish. It's like making a risotto if you only have long grain rice

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

It is very fresh fish but the fishmonger didn't have a seperate fish which was specifically 'sushi grade' fish. From what I gather sushi grade fish is frozen on the boat when caught to kill off the parasites. He suggested freezing the fish myself. Have you made your own sashimi before? how did you go about buying the fish?

found this on yahoo answers: Actually, the FDA requires all fish in the US that is intended for raw consumption to be frozen for seven days at negative 4 degrees Fahrenheit, or flash frozen for 15 hours at negative 31 degrees. This is done in order to kill the majority of parasites, namely nematodes.

That being said, the filets you buy which are intended for cooking may not have gone through this freeze treatment. Yes it is frozen, but you don't know if it's at low enough temps or in a sterile enough environment. I would advise against eating raw fish that is not specifically sold for raw consumption because there is no regulation on its safety when not eat as a cooked meal.
    Source(s):
    http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fc99-3.htm…
    Section 3-201.11 (D)

but then lots of other people saying if you freeze it the texture is lost. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I didn't buy the fish. I caught it, filleted it right there, and had the wasabi and soy with me. Did it with both mackerel and salmon. Just wouldn't be worth it unless you had access to 'still kicking' fish or at least sushi grade as the major detail of the dish is it's freshness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sashimi fish should be between 24 and 48hrs old, it has to go through rigor mortis for the best flavour and texture.
    I wouldn't worry too much about parasites they aren't that common and are easily spotted.
    I wouldn't freeze the fish it will be changed utterly by home freezing, Japanese Tuna boats freeze at -50ºc , you can't get near those temps and your fish will suffer cell damage from home freezing and you will end up with dried out flavourless fish.
    If you catch fresh mackerel bleed and gut them and put them on ice for 24hrs they will be as good as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i usually just buy fresh fish, mainly tuna and salmon and carve it up in sashimi sized pieces. i just tell the fishmonger i'll be eating it raw, so he gives me the freshest pieces. it's not quite as perfect as sashimi from a japanese restaurant, but is still pretty delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

Great replies thanks :)

Advertisement