Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband

• 25-07-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

What's the story with this crowd? I'm looking for a BB provider who can provide me with faster download speeds than I'm getting currently so I came across magnet's website yesterday. It had a big 'Call us now on....' sign on the front page, so I did. All I got was a two minute automatic speil followed by someone answering and immediately hanging up. I called three times and the same thing happened each time. Eventually I gave up and put it down to muppets working on a Sunday.
    I then went to the website and filled out the form to request a call back. I select Monday at 7.30pm from the drop down menus. No call at 7.30 so I rang the sales number, got automatically redirected through to customer service and they tell me that the sales guys finish at 7.00. WTF? Why would you give customers the option of having a call back at 7.30 if the sales guys go home at 7.00??
    I'm not getting a very good impression of this crowd. It's pretty rare that I have to chase a company to try to accept my business. Is this just bad luck or are these guys utterly useless??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

With pre-sales service as bad as that, imagine what their after-sales service could be like:eek:

Nuff said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lnb2k

i have been with them for over a year now with no problems yet. anyway we already have a thread for magnet http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055026088

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sackedlunch

Hi Guys,

Having suffered a horrendous experience with Magnet, I decided to come on and tell people about it, just to let you know what kind of a shambles they're capable of being.

We ordered their broadband service for our apartment in Smithfield on the 8th of July. The following week we received our equipment and were told that the phone line had been activated and we were good to go. When we couldnt get it working we contacted the technical support team, who constantly fobbed us saying they needed to elevate it to a 'Tier 2' problem, and someone else would be in touch. I don't understand why they have these people working in technical support if they're not capable of handling queries in the first place. In any event, having contacted them, probably about 15 times, over the past month, not once have any of my calls been returned. In fact, the only time somebody has got in touch with me was to arrange an engineers call out, which of course would involve putting an extra €100 in their coffers, so they don't seem to have a problem helping you if you're paying extra for it.

We were never made aware once that we would require an engineer to call out, and surely their sales team would know what kind of service is needed for our apartment block, as I would imagine we are not the first people there to use their 'services'.

Anyway, on Thu 4th August (11 Days Ago), I contacted them to cancel, and was told it had to be in writing, so I therefore emailed them. I haven't heard a single thing back from them, yet they were kind enough to send me out the invoice for a month that I haven't had a single second of internet connectivity. When I rang them again, I was told I needed to speak to their accounts team, and their retention team, and have twice called since to request they call me. Needless to say, as is the general trend with them, I didn't receive any call back. I was told that I am entitled to cancel, as it was within the 30 day cancellation period. It seems to be the case that if they totally ignore you, you won't be able to cancel.

As the moment, I can't order with another ISP because I am fearful they have somehow locked me into the full length of my contract by consistently ignoring my attempts to cancel it while I was entitled to. I literally cannot get any connection, am unwilling to pay €100 for an engineer (especially after the hassle they've put me through), and I'm finding it completely hopeless trying to get anywhere with any of the people they have working for them.

In short, I'm sure some people have had wonderful experiences with them, but from my dealings with them, they're the most unprofessional company I've come accross. They are helpful when singing up, but their after sales services are non existent. If you are planning on ordering the service with them, make sure that you ask a lot of questions about their ability to provide the service in your home, because if something goes wrong afterwards, then they will literally never help you, and completely ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DubsBlue

I had a very bad experience with them too. I rang them up to get broadband and said i needed strong broadband as it was used by all the family in the house. The sale's guy say's its second to none 24 meg speed. After i got the broadband in i noticed it wasn't very fast so i tested it and got 5 meg every time (it was meant to be 24 meg). So rang them up and got told that, that was as fast as i could get in my area. So i told them it was no good to me and i wanted to cancel it. They start saying he'd have to pass it up and let them get back to me about it, so after a few weeks of messing about i just said i didn't want it and i was canceling it. So they said i'd have to pay 50 euro to cancel and give 30 day's notice (which meant anther 40 euro) so in total i had payed 170 euro and i used it for two days. I sent them back the modem with the envelope they had sent to me and they then sent me a bill for 70 euro, which could only be for the modem but it didn't say on the bill what it was for. So i emailed them and asked what was going on i had sent the modem back and there was no reply. Then after a few weeks of nothing i got an email from a debt collecting company and then phone calls and then letters out to the house which i have done what magnet done to me and total ignored (which i am still getting call's from). This in all, is a long story cut short and properly not well explained by me but i'll finish by saying they are the worst company i ever had to deal with it and i wouldn't have anything to do with them. I don't say that lightly as i know time's are hard to survive in these time's for all companies out there but that's how i feel after what i have been through with them

• Registered Users Posts: 22 allig8or

DubsBlue wrote: »
    I had a very bad experience with them too. I rang them up to get broadband and said i needed strong broadband as it was used by all the family in the house. The sale's guy say's its second to none 24 meg speed. After i got the broadband in i noticed it wasn't very fast so i tested it and got 5 meg every time (it was meant to be 24 meg). So rang them up and got told that, that was as fast as i could get in my area. So i told them it was no good to me and i wanted to cancel it. They start saying he'd have to pass it up and let them get back to me about it, so after a few weeks of messing about i just said i didn't want it and i was canceling it. So they said i'd have to pay 50 euro to cancel and give 30 day's notice (which meant anther 40 euro) so in total i had payed 170 euro and i used it for two days. I sent them back the modem with the envelope they had sent to me and they then sent me a bill for 70 euro, which could only be for the modem but it didn't say on the bill what it was for. So i emailed them and asked what was going on i had sent the modem back and there was no reply. Then after a few weeks of nothing i got an email from a debt collecting company and then phone calls and then letters out to the house which i have done what magnet done to me and total ignored (which i am still getting call's from). This in all, is a long story cut short and properly not well explained by me but i'll finish by saying they are the worst company i ever had to deal with it and i wouldn't have anything to do with them. I don't say that lightly as i know time's are hard to survive in these time's for all companies out there but that's how i feel after what i have been through with them
    I know exactly what tou are saying, need I say more, however I pay them nothing and contact comreg, you must let them know that you will report your case to comreg...good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 newbie1001

The only reason I'm with Magnet is because they don't tie you into a contract.

Their customer service is the greatest shambles I have ever come across. No need to expand more as it has already been covered in the posts above. The staff on the phone appear to have no idea what is going on.

I just pray that I don't encounter issues that will require me to contact them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just have a look through these threads, they actually know they are operating illegal practices and only when you state it to them will you get anything done from them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057003522

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055026088

Are you suprized? just remember that if you depend on a phone line for broadband it doesn't matter who you go with the speed of your line is it that's as fast as you can get from any provider. I would be very surprised if you achieve more than 13mb
    waraf wrote: »
    What's the story with this crowd? I'm looking for a BB provider who can provide me with faster download speeds than I'm getting currently so I came across magnet's website yesterday. It had a big 'Call us now on....' sign on the front page, so I did. All I got was a two minute automatic speil followed by someone answering and immediately hanging up. I called three times and the same thing happened each time. Eventually I gave up and put it down to muppets working on a Sunday.
    I then went to the website and filled out the form to request a call back. I select Monday at 7.30pm from the drop down menus. No call at 7.30 so I rang the sales number, got automatically redirected through to customer service and they tell me that the sales guys finish at 7.00. WTF? Why would you give customers the option of having a call back at 7.30 if the sales guys go home at 7.00??
    I'm not getting a very good impression of this crowd. It's pretty rare that I have to chase a company to try to accept my business. Is this just bad luck or are these guys utterly useless??
    Thanks

Yes I am aware of the way the way the rob buisness

Hi Guys,

Having suffered a horrendous experience with Magnet, I decided to come on and tell people about it, just to let you know what kind of a shambles they're capable of being.

We ordered their broadband service for our apartment in Smithfield on the 8th of July. The following week we received our equipment and were told that the phone line had been activated and we were good to go. When we couldnt get it working we contacted the technical support team, who constantly fobbed us saying they needed to elevate it to a 'Tier 2' problem, and someone else would be in touch. I don't understand why they have these people working in technical support if they're not capable of handling queries in the first place. In any event, having contacted them, probably about 15 times, over the past month, not once have any of my calls been returned. In fact, the only time somebody has got in touch with me was to arrange an engineers call out, which of course would involve putting an extra €100 in their coffers, so they don't seem to have a problem helping you if you're paying extra for it.

We were never made aware once that we would require an engineer to call out, and surely their sales team would know what kind of service is needed for our apartment block, as I would imagine we are not the first people there to use their 'services'.

Anyway, on Thu 4th August (11 Days Ago), I contacted them to cancel, and was told it had to be in writing, so I therefore emailed them. I haven't heard a single thing back from them, yet they were kind enough to send me out the invoice for a month that I haven't had a single second of internet connectivity. When I rang them again, I was told I needed to speak to their accounts team, and their retention team, and have twice called since to request they call me. Needless to say, as is the general trend with them, I didn't receive any call back. I was told that I am entitled to cancel, as it was within the 30 day cancellation period. It seems to be the case that if they totally ignore you, you won't be able to cancel.

As the moment, I can't order with another ISP because I am fearful they have somehow locked me into the full length of my contract by consistently ignoring my attempts to cancel it while I was entitled to. I literally cannot get any connection, am unwilling to pay €100 for an engineer (especially after the hassle they've put me through), and I'm finding it completely hopeless trying to get anywhere with any of the people they have working for them.

In short, I'm sure some people have had wonderful experiences with them, but from my dealings with them, they're the most unprofessional company I've come accross. They are helpful when singing up, but their after sales services are non existent. If you are planning on ordering the service with them, make sure that you ask a lot of questions about their ability to provide the service in your home, because if something goes wrong afterwards, then they will literally never help you, and completely ignore you.

I pay these robbing bas***tards 60.98 per month for nothing but a half working connection, 12 out of 24mb and less than 1mb upload its the best of the worst believe it or not, no point changing provider, as long as the phone line is your only option you just get different versions of the very same problem, of couse there is imagine ariel bb if its available but 10mb being the fastest I can only say thats no use althought they were great when they were irish bb with a full 3mb down and 1.5 up that was years ago

• Advertisement

allig8or wrote: »
    I pay these robbing bas***tards 60.98 per month for nothing but a half working connection, 12 out of 24mb and less than 1mb upload its the best of the worst believe it or not, no point changing provider, as long as the phone line is your only option you just get different versions of the very same problem, of couse there is imagine ariel bb if its available but 10mb being the fastest I can only say thats no use althought they were great when they were irish bb with a full 3mb down and 1.5 up that was years ago

Switched to Vodafone this week and the ****ty speeds I was getting are a thing of the past, it is not the phone line, I am getting just over 20MB now on a 24MB package, was only getting 2-3MB on Magnet, 6 if I was lucky.

2957498365.png crap speed high price at 60.98 per month, this test was taken on a good day
    DubsBlue wrote: »

Thats interesting can you let me know if they start throttling you in about a month from now? would appreciate the info thanks
    Xenji wrote: »
    Switched to Vodafone this week and the ****ty speeds I was getting are a thing of the past, it is not the phone line, I am getting just over 20MB now on a 24MB package, was only getting 2-3MB on Magnet, 6 if I was lucky.

Would love an update in a months time, also how much are you paying? and whats the deal, I am trying to get the best from a phone line?
    Xenji wrote: »

Would love an update in a months time, also how much are you paying? and whats the deal, I am trying to get the best from a phone line?

12 month contract with them, paying 32 euro a month and when my part of town has access to the 70MB line, they will upgrade you for free and for no extra monthly cost. Only went with Magnet as I am emigrating early next year and did not want a contract, but after two weeks I left, nothing but hassle with them, between illegal throttling and false advertising, it was a joke.

Anyone thinking of getting Magnet check this for a 60.98 euro per month 24mb connection at 22.50 in the evening http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2958163688

Anyone thinking of getting Magnet check this for a 60.98 euro per month 24mb connection at 22.50 in the evening http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2958163688

Only today they called me and lied to me about my connection status

Thanks

check this for a 24mb connection at 22.50 in the evening wednesday, this costs 60.98 per month http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2958163688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

ive noticed that everyone thats giving out about magnet is on Eircoms RESOLD upto 24mb package, its the same resold pack that vodafone, magnet, sky (in none BT LLU area's) and many others resell on behalf of eircom. the problem is down to eircoms network simples

if you go with ADSL in any of its shapes or forms and dont live inside a exchange and thats very unlikely you are never gonna see the full advertised speed of 8mb for adsl and 24mb for adsl2+

i also notice none of yous have posted line specs, maybe if ya posted them we could see if there is any improvements that could be made to your lines or even tell you what your line is able of

ive magnet fatpipe in the last month and find it great, im over 1000m from my local cabinet and sync at 50174 Kbps down / 20479 Kbps up and am currently getting this speed with 2 computers running and netflix in full hd on my tv

2958435642.png

Great service TBH and havnt had one problem with the connection or with them on the phone

dazdrog wrote: »
    ive noticed that everyone thats giving out about magnet is on Eircoms RESOLD upto 24mb package, its the same resold pack that vodafone, magnet, sky (in none BT LLU area's) and many others resell on behalf of eircom. the problem is down to eircoms network simples

if you go with ADSL in any of its shapes or forms and dont live inside a exchange and thats very unlikely you are never gonna see the full advertised speed of 8mb for adsl and 24mb for adsl2+

i also notice none of yous have posted line specs, maybe if ya posted them we could see if there is any improvements that could be made to your lines or even tell you what your line is able of

ive magnet fatpipe in the last month and find it great, im over 1000m from my local cabinet and sync at 50174 Kbps down / 20479 Kbps up and am currently getting this speed with 2 computers running and netflix in full hd on my tv

2958435642.png

Great service TBH and havnt had one problem with the connection or with them on the phone

I thought that as well, but used my friends modem who lives in the apartment beside me and whom is with Vodafone and the the speeds shot right up, he is getting about 20MB on his 24MB plan, he used mine then and the speeds dropped straight down to 3MB. So you have something strange going on with Magnet, I know they rent the line, but it is more to do with the profiles they give you on the line not working and problems with the cheap Thompson modems they send you out.

• Advertisement

After the 2 years experience with Magnet now in the closing stages with me, this is really one of the worst, frustrating, expensive and most unprofessional companies I have had to deal with in my life. I would not recommend them to my worst enemy. I won't go into the details as they have already been expressed throughout the tread, but beware you could end up with less than half your speed an upload of less than 1mb, useless support at best in all departments if not non existent. The only sure thing with this company is they never fail to collect their 61.90 euros per month

Thanks

Finally paid off what I owed them for my disastrous 2 weeks with them and after many a argument, but like I said and others here have as well, mention that they are breaking EU law and they start being very responsive. I had to laugh though, got a letter last week stating I would have to send their piece of crap Thompson modem back to them or would have to pay the full 90 euro cost of the modem, now I know that modem does not cost that much, just stuck it in a jiffy bag and made sure I took pictures of it before and when I put it in, knowing them they will say it is damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wayguk

I just got Magnet installed, and the sync speed / line rate (Down / Up) is 50174 Kbps / 15359 Kbps.

However the line speed varies considerably from 3 Mbps - 28 Mbps, but never gets any improvements beyond that.

I am on the Fatpipe 70 package and live approx 50 metres from the cabinet.

Note that Eircom came out to fit the new socket for the fibre connection for Magnet, could this be a factor for the lower than expected speeds, as in bad workmanship? Or is this all I should expect?

wayguk wrote: »
    I just got Magnet installed, and the sync speed / line rate (Down / Up) is 50174 Kbps / 15359 Kbps.

However the line speed varies considerably from 3 Mbps - 28 Mbps, but never gets any improvements beyond that.

I am on the Fatpipe 70 package and live approx 50 metres from the cabinet.

Note that Eircom came out to fit the new socket for the fibre connection for Magnet, could this be a factor for the lower than expected speeds, as in bad workmanship? Or is this all I should expect?

They throttle your speeds between 4pm and 2 am if you download more than 4 gigs in that time or watch two shows on high quality Netflix. They cap your speed at between 1 and 4 Mb/s, its a lie when they say you have unlimited downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wayguk

I haven't even downloaded/viewed youtube/websites worth 500mb since it has been installed.

I thought the throttling was only if you exceeded the 4 gb allowance for the non listed sites (netflix youtube etc) between 4pm and 1am? outside those hours it's free reign, no?

anyway besides these factors I am just wondering why there is such a disparity between the sync speed and download speed - note: I am no super savy on the networking logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Thanks

lol you think their sales is bad try tech support... 9 - 5 mon to friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Magnet backhaul is only 5Gb per second. This is a reason why they throttling speed after 4 GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

I just switched last week from eircom 8mb next generation speeds were good with them but there upgrade to up to 24mb was gonna cost 70 euro or something , l rang magnet and they said they would give me up to 24mb next generation (magnet stream they call it) for 45 a month , my line can take up to 17mb and l was told those were the speeds l would get but l'm only getting 2 to 4 to 7mb and its not next generation speeds are up and down like a yoyo , contacted sales and l was told l am on next generation but technical support says l'm not and the problem is with eircom ?

so l wondering how l can go from 8mb next generation to 3mb standard on the same line ?

and how can they bulls##t me like that commreg said give them a week , ironically eircom are now advertising upto 24mb next generation for 35 euro for 6 months then 50 euro after that ,

all of this is like a bad dream but l ain't gonna wake up

spinzes wrote: »
    I just switched last week from eircom 8mb next generation speeds were good with them but there upgrade to up to 24mb was gonna cost 70 euro or something , l rang magnet and they said they would give me up to 24mb next generation (magnet stream they call it) for 45 a month , my line can take up to 17mb and l was told those were the speeds l would get but l'm only getting 2 to 4 to 7mb and its not next generation speeds are up and down like a yoyo , contacted sales and l was told l am on next generation but technical support says l'm not and the problem is with eircom ?

so l wondering how l can go from 8mb next generation to 3mb standard on the same line ?

and how can they bulls##t me like that commreg said give them a week , ironically eircom are now advertising upto 24mb next generation for 35 euro for 6 months then 50 euro after that ,

all of this is like a bad dream but l ain't gonna wake up

They are the worst company you can deal with, had the same issues as you did and they kept giving me bull**** answers that I knew were not true, and they basically laughed down the phone at me at one point. I switched to Vodafone after nearly 2 weeks with Magnet, on the 24mb plan and it is only costing me €32 a month and I am averaging 18-19mb, before with Magnet I was lucky to get 6mb and that was before I got throttled in the evening down to 1mb. Your best bet is to get away from them and if you want out of having to pay them anymore tell them they are breaking EU law, it has worked for me and others here.

Magnet rent the line off Eircom, but whatever way they patch the line it is a disaster, if they tell you that you will get the same speed if you change provider they are lying to you again, its their ****ty service that cause the speed issues, as my line is grand now with Vodafone and they are also renting the same line off of Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

well commreg said give them a week but l think magnet are full of it , the technician said he sycned my speed upto 9mb and l said but my line can take 17mb and he says if he puts it up any more the line will "break" l presume that a technicial term , its a complete disaster , l'll just have to wait till friday , l'm getting 320kb/s right now lol

Advertisement