Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with apple trees

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I need advice about apple trees. My dwarf apple trees have developed some sort of disease. There is a white power-like substance on the leaves and bark. I have taken some photos that may help identify this (if I can upload them) . Any help or advice on how to treat would be appreciated, I don't want to lose these trees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kathie smith

I think you are correct Brian, thanks, will get right on to finding a remedy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Spray the blighters with washing up liquid diluted with water, slightly more concentrated than you might use for the dishes - if you don't want to use chemicals. It causes the aphids to explode :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kathie smith

Thanks! I will do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

Wooly aphids can be the trickiest of all aphids to get rid of. That white powdery substance coating them acts as a barrier against almost everything. The washing up liquid might do it.
    If it doesnt, try SB Plant Invigorator mixed in the sprayer with a normal pesticide. The SB is a biocide and is completely safe to use. It breaks down the protective coating on the aphids allowing the pesticide to kill them quickly.
    Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement