Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much child maintenance should I pay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

Since she is living in Ireland she will receive 420 euro a month from child benefit, plus if she signs up for lone parent she will receive 188 plus 29.99 per child every week, or thereabouts. What would she be doing getting a further 500 euro off you and more off her new boyfriend. I am married too but wouldn't expect my husband to give me all his money and do without himself! She really must be laughing in the secret chambers of her heart, because she doesn't need 500 euro a week. Plus when you were on the dole I presume it was here in ROI if so you should have got an extra 124 for your wife from social and 29.99 per child too. You really need to go to an information centre and go to the relevant authorities about all of this as you will lose out if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Irish.Dad wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

That figure of €285 a month for the children seams very low. I was thinking of paying inwards of €800+ per month for the children and half the house morguage.

I will have to put down in figures my exact expenses for a month.

I got to turn in now.

To clarify I wasn't suggesting 285 a month!!
    I was giving you a set of extremely simplistic sample figures to show you how to get a broad outline of how to calculate maintenance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dennis

Seems a lot of useful info has been left out?

You don't mention any legal representation. The first thig the solicitors (from either side) are bound to do is to infirm you to try and resolve and agree things through the Family Mediation Service.

This is a free service though I understand there is a long waiting list.

The FMS will assist you both in drawing up a 'parenting plan'.

You might want to star this process yourself in the mean time by using one of the many good templates available in the internet. Better still, try and get the UK one when you are in NI as it is an excellent example.

This parenting plan will help you work out all expenses, rental, education, mortgage, access, holiday and some capital affairs and will be a declaration by both of you as to how you are going to try and honour your parental responsibities over the coming years. You can even bild in regular reviews if you want to!

If you both write up a parenting plan you will actually find that you agree on many things, especially regarding your children so all you will then have to do is concentrate on your differences. Of course with a mediator this becomes easier and there is no reason why you should not reach aggreement which can then be presented to a court WITHOUT the extremely expensive requirement of solicitors.

The other huge bonus is that it helps take the confrontation out it which means that everyone will end up with a far better quality of life too.

And it is not possible to put a financial value on quality of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dennis

Oh and don't forget that you should be able to avail of additional tax reliefs which you might want to factor in to what you can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, let a Judge decide what's fair. You are leading with your heart while your ex is leading with her head. The €500 per week she wants would enable her and her new partner to quit their jobs and live off you. Balls to that!

Take it to Court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

K-9 wrote: »
    It really comes down to what your income and reasonable expenses are. If you are on Social Welfare courts will normally award €30-50 as anything above that is pointless.

You are working so draw up a statement of means, your normal income and reasonable expenses. You'll have moving or travel expenses to work so make sure they are accounted for. Discounting reasonable expenses is well.......unreasonable!

Concentrate on your income and reasonable expenses. If you travel a lot to have access to children include the costs.

Your ex's income is also important. Make a point that she has her own income included as well.

Ideals are great and most Dads want to be seen to contribute fairly, courts are seeing cases every day that unfortunately ideals are just that..........ideals.

Excellent post.
    I could go through the process of listing my expenses and income, as I am willing to pay half the morgage. How does one know how much each child will need?

It's not about how much they need, it's about how much you can both afford each, fairly. I know you want to do the best by your kids, but no court will see you out of your home or struggling to pay your own expenses.
    I would like to thank all who responded to my post. The answers are certinally food for thought.

I have the second property on the market with two real estate firms for over a year. There has been only a half a dozen enquiries and a few offer just stupid money to buy the property.

many thanks again to all. :)
    Have you advertised it on the rental market also?
    K-9 wrote: »
    Forget about half the mortgage.

If you earn €500 and you need €400 for reasonable expenses, that's all you can afford.

Keep emotion out out of it. It isn't about emotion, the problem with emotion is you may well promise too much and put yourself in difficulty.

Keep yourself calm and collected, this isn't about what she wants or thinks she is entitled to or what you think you should pay.

The judge is an independent third party, put the facts in front of him/her, income and fair expenditure. This isn't about what she wants or thinks she is entitled to, them days are gone.

You've been laid of, where on the dole and are trying to earn an income. Don't be penalised for that. Explain all that, you are trying your best, don't promise the unachievable.
    Exactly. There is no point getting a knot about this, both parties incomes and expenditures will be considered. Just make sure you account for absolutely everything, and try to have proof of these expenditures, no matter how small and trivial because they all add up.

Ask for receipts when you're paying for petrol to collect and drop off the kids, phone credit to keep in contact with her and the kids, cost of food when they are in your care...cinema ticket stubs, literally EVERYTHING. It will all work in your favour.
    Sharrow wrote: »
    You need to work out estimates, food, clothing, school expenses, medical expenses, holidays/hobbies per child and divided by two and ideally pay that much.
    It's not always possible but, this is what happens in mediation.
    Mediation, I would scream this one from the mountain top if I could. I understand that not all relationships end well, but as two grown ups, there are other people that come first. The children. Time to lay down the weapons and do the best thing by them, and be fair to each other.
    needadvi wrote: »
    You seem like you were a nice Dad and Hubby. :D
    I agree :)
    TrixIrl wrote: »
    ok, not sure how welcome this post is going to be but... I know you have your own home to maintain now but please just keep it between you and your ex, please dont drag your kids into it.
    Previous point verified. These children grow up. They see and hear all, and what each party does and says effects them all for life.

Thank you for your post (:
    My wife now has a partner. However he spends a lot of time in the house, but never stays over night when the kids are there. I suppose he gives my ex some money to the household.
    Be careful here, I highly doubt that is the case. Someone she is merely seeing is not responsible for her expenses.
    I wish to provide for the kids first before anything else. Our seperation will come later. My ex said she wants €500 per week. This exceeds my wages by €63 a week. She is extremely unrealistic. I am at my wits end.
    You're a kind man, and it's fantastic that your kids are your main focus here. Just relax, please. If all of this exceeds your wage, she's not going to get anything near it. This will all come right in the end.

May I ask you, how long have you actually being living apart? I know you said you were seperated 2 years, but how long are you out of the house?

Why not apply for a seperation now? I think you may be wasting money on solicitors seperating maintenance, maybe access etc., when you're later likely to seperate anyway.

I have a seperation case coming up in the next couple of months (thank god) and it covers all.

I'm trying for a seperation agreement at present, and when my solicitor did the run through of what was on the table, I asked if it could be written into the agreement that my ex pay me NO spousal maintenance. The solicitor nearly swallowed his tongue when I said that, because it's seemingly unheard of. The reason I did that is, a break up is hard enough as it is, so I'd prefer that he could use that money towards setting up a new life for himself. I actually had to convince my solicitor to leave it out, he put up a strong argument against it.

Your comments are just as I feel. My ex has at times used my kids a a vice or hold against me.(correction our kids)
    This. I. Hate. with. a. passion. Jesus H Christ!

When will people learn?! The moment you become a parent, you are NO LONGER the most important people in the equation, its the kids! They don't ask to be born, but they do deserve to be housed, clothed, fed, and to live in a safe and healthy envirnoment. If the last bit means you have to live apart, then so be it, but the rest HAS to be honoured. If they have an environment where one parent is using access, or with-holding money etc., it will result in damage to the child emotionally.

Sorry for the rant, but it's my major peeve.
    Put it this way, I cannot give what I do not have. My funds are limited.
    And you are not expected to give any more than a reasonable amount of what you can give, please please just relax about this. But be sensible and document all of your living expenses, and of any incurred when you have the children, paying for their full maintenance etc.
    Thanks for your reply.

That figure of €285 a month for the children seams very low. I was thinking of paying inwards of €800+ per month for the children and half the house morguage.

I will have to put down in figures my exact expenses for a month.

I got to turn in now.
    It might seem low, but lets face it, you've been through the loop with regards to work. Times were good by the industry you gave (at one time), but not now. You went through a series of unemployment and jobs that didnt work out. This shows me you're someone who had their niche, but when the arse fell out of that, you tried anything and everything to keep the money in. That is commendable. You're being very harsh on yourself Irish Dad, whenever it was there, you paid your way - and to excess from what I judge.

For when you do have to go to court, present all of the details of your on/off employment also, social welfare payments etc. You couldnt have been expected to keep up a particular sum of cash throughout all this, as it wasn't possible, and a court will account for this.
    Dennis wrote: »
    Oh and don't forget that you should be able to avail of additional tax reliefs which you might want to factor in to what you can afford.
    +1 to this

Check everything out, to make sure you have all the financial support that is available to you.
    OP, let a Judge decide what's fair. You are leading with your heart while your ex is leading with her head. The €500 per week she wants would enable her and her new partner to quit their jobs and live off you. Balls to that!

Take it to Court.

Roughly put, but 100% agree. Just have everything ready to prove your expenditure. Its the only way this will be dealt with fairly.

It's a hard time OP, you're a good man and I wish the best for you.

(Sorry about the long post, you can tell when someone is in the depths of it :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Excellent post Abi.

Look, Irish.Dad, you've obviously been a victim of the recession like many people. You're trying to get back on your feet and have moved to do so. Ideally everything will go okay and you can offer what you want long term.

I'd offer a little less than the ideal now while you get settled in the North, with all the resultant expenses etc.

From my experience judges will tend to ignore expenses related to access, even if it is substantial. You need to emphasise the expenses you have incurred to get back working plus the extra expenses incurred by you moving to fulfil access. Moving away to find work is a reality now for married couples never mind separated, people have to cope and be reasonable.

Your work is early days yet, promise the achievable first and you are entitled to a life. If a year down the line things are more permanent you can offer more or she can apply to the court for more.

If things don't work out getting the order reduced takes time and still stands while it is continuously adjourned. Reducing maintenance in these tough times isn't seen as a high priority case, despite the huge increase in cases looking for it.

As Kildrought says, 10% of a childs time isn't that much, The expenses of facilitating that can be (especially in this case) and often judges don't take into account that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

5OO EURO a week, you sure she was't asking that per month!!!!

Ok you need to get real here, no-one needs 500 euro a week to cover the expense of 3 kids. Your paying half the mortgage, that's only half she has to find. What about 2and property, does she pay half of that?
    I hope you have proof of what your handing over to her, especially the amount of the mortgage your paying.
    All you need is to help out with the kids, not your ex's lifestyle. She has an income too, and you need to not forget this.
    At the end of the day, you need to have enough money left to start your new life, you are allowed this, yes you was married and have 3 kids, and well done to you for wanting to support them, but please don't be took for a ride.
    You need to sort all this out legally, the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

500 Euro a week is absolute madness, if it goes to court then you will not have to pay anywhere near that.

I'm a mother of 2 kids, still with their dad but if we split up and I asked him for €500 per week then I would be living a life of luxury and he wouldn't be able to eat.

I knew a guy who was paying his ex €300 a week for one child :eek: her being greedy decided it wasn't enough and she took him to court and the judge reduced it to €50. The man had been getting himself into massive debt and couldn't pay his bills trying to pay what his ex demanded.

You sound like a nice guy and I really hope you take the advice given here by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Kildrought wrote: »
    an unrelated partner is not expected to contribute to the spousal or child maintenance.

It was calculated when my father was being assessed, he was on the SW and she is employed by the HSE.

My father was made pay €400 a month for 2 daughters in Secondary Education, that's it, nothing more, which was a good enough sum.

Calculate your earnings, and expenditure, after that add a few pound to do something small for yourself eg the Pub once a week/cost of a gym membership and after that, then you have to discuss with the ex how much you have. Remember, for the sake of your mental health you have to do something small for yourself too.

And well done for wanting to take responsibility for your kids :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

wolfpawnat - your post isn't clear.

Are you saying your father was paying €400 per month out of his Social Welfare payment for someone else's two children?

Who was employed by the HSE? Your mother?

Who was the unrelated partner who was asked to pay child maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

wolfpawnat - your post isn't clear.

Are you saying your father was paying €400 per month out of his Social Welfare payment for someone else's two children?

Who was employed by the HSE? Your mother?

Who was the unrelated partner who was asked to pay child maintenance?

Sorry if it is unclear. My father was on SW, his partner (now wife) was working in the HSE. Their incomes were calculated together to give the €400 a month for myself and my sister. When my father no longer able to receive SW payments, due to marrying again and her income meaning the income of the house was greater than that allowed by the Dept. of Social Welfare, the order of €400 a month remained the same. Until I finished education and then it went down to €200 for my sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Make sure you have a record of everything you give her too. You'll need it in future. Maybe give everything to her via bank transfer. That will keep a permanent record in case you need to go to court.

Ok, I understand what you are saying now.

It's as I previously posted, if there is partner also living in the house there is a (not unreasonable) presumption that a contribution is being made to the household.

Since your father was in receipt of a SW payment he was also entitled to claim the qualified child allowance so that in conjunction with the additional tax relief and the household contribution from his partner would be taken in to account in coming up with a child maintenance figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Having read through the posts I do not seem to see any mention of your ex wife declaring your maintenance to Social Welfare. It would seem from the figures of her weekly income that she is not declaring anything. I will stand corrected of course... Her weekly SW lone parent allowance would be reduced after a housing allowance of approx 95euro given against maintenance the balance will be termed her 'means' and SW will be reduced according to their calculations.

Maintenance at a rate of 500euro per week, wow that is all I can say... :D

I presume she draws monthly assist for the mortgage in the form of morgage subsidy allowance from the health centre too, plus medical card, plus back to school allowance. She may also be applying for clothing grants and emergency grants that could be paid by the SW officer at their discretion. You should be aware of this type of income also OP.

Maintenance at a rate of 500euro per week, wow that is all I can say...
    Sigh.... it's all relative.

If you had an salary of €2,000 per week (and I'm not suggesting the OP does) it would be just 25% of your income.

The max child maintenance that could be awarded in District Court would be €450 per week (€150 per child/per week).

I strongly suspect, in regards to the OPs family, its an opening / bargaining position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

The woman is paying the mortgage in full, lets not forget that. And I'm assuming that the house is in joint names. So part of that €500 per week is in relation to the mortgage payments.
    As for "if you can only afford x then only pay x", lets not forget that this woman doesn't have that luxury. She has to find the money to pay the mortgage and clothe and feed 3 children. If the money isn't there the kids suffer because she has them 90% of the time. I'd agree that €500 per week is a bit optimistic but then again, how much is the mortgage and how much is for the kids?

OP, you need to sit and realistically work out how much of your wage you can spare, obviously after paying for food, heat and a roof over your own head. But you also need to be realistic about how much it is costing your ex to pay the mortgage and bills associated with 3 kids she has 90% of the time.
    I've just the one and she costs me a fortune.
    In your lsit of outgoings you mention rent in NI and rent to your brother in ROI. Are you paying both? If so, why?

Sigh.... it's all relative.

Indeed it is, and my comment is relative to the OP. The OP has given some financial information and my input is based on that.

ash23 wrote: »
    The woman is paying the mortgage in full, lets not forget that. And I'm assuming that the house is in joint names.

Perhaps she is not paying the mortgage in full, she may well be claiming mortgage interest supplement allowance paid monthy by SW.... She also has a partner.... (oh I know that is not meant to count legally) surely there is monetary gain from having a partner...

nesbitt wrote: »
    Perhaps she is not paying the mortgage in full, she may well be claiming mortgage interest supplement allowance paid monthy by SW.... She also has a partner.... (oh I know that is not meant to count legally) surely there is monetary gain from having a partner...

The man doesn't live there. He is not a partner as in a common law spouse. He doesn't live there so will have his own place to pay for also. He stays only when the kids aren't there which is 10% of the time. So that's what ? one weekend a month?

A single mother is allowed to have a boyfriend. It doesn't mean he is contributing anything towards the children.

OP needs to clarify if she is getting Mortgage Interest Supplement. If she is then obviously that should be taken into account but he has said she is paying the mortgage so I am taking that as the mortgage and not as the interest on the mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

nesbitt wrote: »

I don't know the amount the wife may be paying in this case, but for what it's worth, mortgage interest supplement allowance is not a massive amount (unlike rent allowance).

I received 917 in rent allowance on an apartment that was 950 when I lived on SW when my son was born (single parent).

I've since bought my own home with a mortgage of 1100pm and was recently thinking of changing jobs, (on a reduced salary) so enquired how much I might be entitled to in mortgage interest supplement - I was told 140pm. I was also told that SW 'couldn't be seen to be paying my mortgage', which I of course, agree with.
    Funny how they had no problem paying my landlords mortgage (almost in full) when I was living in rented accommodation though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ash23 wrote: »
    The woman is paying the mortgage in full, lets not forget that.

Yes, but they have two houses and he is solely paying the mortgage on the other - a higher value one. So he is already paying more than half their combined mortgage burden.

Yes, but they have two houses and he is solely paying the mortgage on the other - a higher value one. So he is already paying more than half their combined mortgage burden.

Missed that bit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The 500 a week could include spousal maintenance which she might be entitled to.

Spousal maintenance alone can be up to 500 per week in the district court and more in higher courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Some times it is arranged to that more is paid in spousal maintenance then in child maintenance as spousal maintenance is tax deductible were as child maintenance is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Trip 09

Please help, my husband and I separated 9 months ago , we have a 4 yr old daughter , living together for that time I moved out on sun last couldn't do it anymore too much stress , intimidation , threats and manipulation , he has a second house which he refused to move into he earns €€2500 a month also has an income off his farm which he is trying to hide I earn €275 a week which covers all my own expences , food , clothing etc for myself and my daughter , he pays mortgage. €600 a month and utility bills , I now have moved to live with my mum will have extra travel costs , double the journey to work he gave me €80 today for week until things are sorted , it's with solicitors at the moment I
    Likely going to court , have not applied for social welfare yet , what's fair in regard to maintanance?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Kornelia

Hi, I'm just curious. How did it plan out for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Please don't bump 3 year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement