Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreigner in Tipperary

Options
  • 25-07-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all
    I might have the opportunity to work in Tipperary, more specifically in Moyne but living around the Thurles/ Templeton area.
    What's life like there? I'm from New Zealand myself, just want to get an idea of the place. Is there good nightlife? Fun stuff to do? Is it easy to make friends there?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi there

I guess Thurles isn't a bad spot really. Some decent pubs and a few decent restaurants as can be seen on other threads here. Some of the pubs do music at weekends. There are a good number of sports clubs around too. Also Thurles is around 1 - 1.5 hours from Dublin and Cork by motorway, if you need to escape for a while!
    There are also a good few people from abroad working in the mine in moyne!;)

Hope this helps

p.s some people from this neck of the woods pronounce Moyne the same as mine so getting your bearings should be fairly easy....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Moyne is tiny. Thurles has a bit more going on than Templemore, plenty of pubs, sports, music, there's an arts centre etc. We're also equally far away from everywhere (with good train & road links), so it's easy enough to get to Cork, Dublin, Limerick etc. Like Mikep said, we've a fair few South Africans, Australians etc in the area, as well as the usual mix of Scots, English, Polish etc. While I wouldn't exactly call it a melting pot of multiculturalism just yet, it's not too bad and for the most part locals are welcoming. As far as it being easy to make friends, if you have any particular interest (like sport), just join a local club and you should be fine. Or pick a pub and become a local (The Monk O'Gorman's in Thurles is one of the best). Depending on where you're working, you'll probably hook up with people through that as well. If you're moving from a city, you might find Thurles area a bit of a culture shock, but if you're used to rural living you should be grand. Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Poonus wrote: »
    Hey all
    I might have the opportunity to work in Tipperary, more specifically in Moyne but living around the Thurles/ Templeton area.
    What's life like there? I'm from New Zealand myself, just want to get an idea of the place. Is there good nightlife? Fun stuff to do? Is it easy to make friends there?
    Cheers

I'm a Dublin foreigner consigned to living here in Thurles (my wife is from here).

Moyne is a very small village and while it is a very nice village, it is tiny.

Thurles and Templemore are reasonably big towns. Thurles has plenty of sports clubs (soccer, rugby and GAA clubs).
    There are plenty of pubs but some of them can be slightly rough to be honest.
    A lot of young people who cannot hold their drink getting aggressive in many of them.
    To give you and example : this weekend Dublin were playing a hurling match in Thurles against Limerick. Wearing my Dublin jersey I went in to one reasonably respectable pub (Noel Ryans) where a couple of pissed up thugs told me "what are you cnuts doing down here").:rolleyes:
    Restaurant selection is limited it has to be said.

Living here it is essential to have a a car so that you can travel to other locations in the vicinity (eg.Cashel is 10 miles from Thurles).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

it can be a wee bit rough, but not bad crack to go out in. If ye play rugby, id join their club. Thurles is a nice busy town, while Templemore is
    quiet mostly. Kilkenny, Cashel and Nenagh arent far so if ye have a car, yer only 1/2 an hour from any of them.:)

Advertisement