Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Hours pointless

Options
  • 25-07-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I got this sudden urge to ask this question and I don't know if this is the correct forum to do so but.......

The problem is bank opening hours. I recently have had to use the bank more often as I have got a job. I'm only 19 and not used to most banking situations.

My question is why is the banks opened from 10 to 4pm?
    Isn't it mainly working people that use the bank, well maybe at the moment that's changed but still I can never get the opportunity to go to my bank because of work.

Its really annoying and why cant they stay open for longer? is it the problem of paying staff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

ha ha , you don't remember what is used to be like for bank hours 10.30 - 3.30 with a closure for lunch !! Current hours are a major improvement on what they once were.
    In fairness to the banks there is a considerable amount of behind the scenes work that goes on when they are not open.

Given the policy of the banks to steer customer towards online banking I really can't see any improvement in their hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions from work & jobs.
    In fairness to the banks there is a considerable amount of behind the scenes work that goes on when they are not open.

Exactly - the staff are still working a full day, even if the branch isn't open.

OP, you might find that you don't actually need to go to the bank in person for a few things - a laser card and a handful of lodgement slips & envelopes will probably cut out a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Report in paper today says AIB planning to provide deposit/withdrawal facilities 24/7 plus weekend opening hours (see page 21 of Irish Independent).

Also available here: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aib-to-roll-out-247-service-in-months-2830957.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Eoin wrote: »
    moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions from work & jobs.

Exactly - the staff are still working a full day, even if the branch isn't open.

OP, you might find that you don't actually need to go to the bank in person for a few things - a laser card and a handful of lodgement slips & envelopes will probably cut out a lot of it.

How come they manage to do longer hours in the UK, and lets face it balancing a till is not rocket science?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

NFL wrote: »
    Isn't it mainly working people that use the bank, well maybe at the moment that's changed but still I can never get the opportunity to go to my bank because of work.

Mainly because institutions like banks have been set up for the benefit of the people who work for them as opposed to members of the public that actually use the service.

• Advertisement

How come they manage to do longer hours in the UK, and lets face it balancing a till is not rocket science?

I was just saying that it's not as if the staff leave as soon as the branch closes. I'm sure it's much more customer friendly in the UK, but it doesn't affect me one way or the other.
    Mainly because institutions like banks have been set up for the benefit of the people who work for them as opposed to members of the public that actually use the service.

No, for the benefit of the shareholders. The front line staff in banks are generally on pretty low salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Eoin wrote: »

No, for the benefit of the shareholders. The front line staff in banks are generally on pretty low salaries.

Hardly, shareholders would prefer to see banks open for longer - increased turnover, increased profit.
    Bank staff are unionised up to the eyeballs and unlike other private service industries don't really care about inconveniencing their customers - it's more important that they have a 9-5 job.

That's not why banks "were set up" nor operate, but I don't really care one way or t'other.

OP as I said - check out why you need to go to the branch so often, and there's a good chance you'll find that there's a way you can do a good few of the tasks out of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Halifax Ireland opened Saturdays and it was usually the quietest day of the week. It would be mostly people paying there credit cards bills.

I can't see how opening longer would increase turnover. It would just mean people would do less online banking and go the a branch instead. Banks are trying to get people to stay away from the branch and use banking online.

I do agree the opening hours would not suit others in 9-5 jobs, but you can do almost everything online with the exception of cash lodgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

Used to work in a bank that was open until 7 on a Thursday evening, always used to amaze me that our last customer every Thursday at 6.55 was a primary school teacher who was finished work hours earlier. There is very little need to visit a branch these days with online facilities and even if you do there is the quick lodge, atm etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

People dont need to be going to banks anymore, u can pay bills on line, pay rent on line, transfer money online, even apply for a loan online now, only reason need to visit a bank to to discuss mortgage or open a new account. Odd time I go to a bank now you see people there paying bills etc pure waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I got this sudden urge to ask this question and I don't know if this is the correct forum to do so but.......

The problem is bank opening hours. I recently have had to use the bank more often as I have got a job. I'm only 19 and not used to most banking situations.

Its really annoying and why cant they stay open for longer? is it the problem of paying staff?

You could always move to Ulster Bank who are open Saturday mornings, i did, for the Visa Debit initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It's been a while since this issue come up.

Basically unions are stopping banks for opening up when they want. It only a matter of time before they open 8-8 mon to fri and 10:30-1 sat and closed Sunday's.

Of course Halifax lead the way but they folded. UB took up there position and open at 9:30 till 4:30 mon to fri with 60 odd open on sat.

Boi and aib are still to move but only a fool would think the upper management have not drawn up how to get there. Unions are big against it. It requires new contracts for all existing staff. Staff to sign up for sat opening then moving staff around to facilitate opening sat etc. All that with unions saying no no no.

With that in mind, the move to a chq less society is on the way. There are plenty of options to use so you don't have to go into a bank too.

As someone already said, I bet that upper management are much more keen to get people using on-line and/or telephone banking, rather than wanting to shell out more to open up on Saturdays.

Interestingly, the topic of garages not always opening on Saturdays comes up in the motors forum quite often, and many in the trade say that it's been tried but it's just not worth their while. And remember that car sales staff are not unionised, are commission based and on even dodgier ground when it comes to job stability.

Sat opening for UB has been a great success. It varies from mental busy to sometimes quiet.

From a customer service point of view it's very welcomed. And you know what they say about a happy customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

With that in mind, the move to a chq less society is on the way. There are plenty of options to use so you don't have to go into a bank too.

I for one hardly ever visit the bank, little as possible. I'm sure there were a few years past where I either did not go into a branch or very little (so little I dont recal).

edit; Also, until recently, I've hardly even used a bank machine, laser, I would not stand in Q for one, plus its safer.

One thing I am against is removal of cheques, In my experience, lots of clubs get subscription payed by cheque, they dont need the hassle of a visa/debit paypoint terminal, as the overall number of transactions is low (I'm not even sure how myuch they cost) they can trust their members regarding security and if there is an issue, they can follow up easily as it is usually confined to a limited number of people, also it provides a record for a person paying a membership fee or any ancillary costs, when cash transaction by one person might get mixed up with that of another.

Run the club properly and there'd should be no issue with getting club membership messed up.

I deal with lots of local clubs. On one hand they hate getting chqs incase the bounce and on ther other hand the write tons of them and don't mind paying the government stamp duty.

This year membership is being done via standing order and one club doing direct debit. None are getting in chip and pin units. I got 2 existing clubs to explain there experiences to the other cause they've been doing the standing order thing for years.

The clubs range from soccer, water,gun, local drama, bike, Honda 50, parish lotto, pub lotto etc.

Run the club properly and there'd should be no issue with getting club membership messed up.

I deal with lots of local clubs. On one hand they hate getting chqs incase the bounce and on ther other hand the write tons of them and don't mind paying the government stamp duty.

This year membership is being done via standing order and one club doing direct debit. None are getting in chip and pin units. I got 2 existing clubs to explain there experiences to the other cause they've been doing the standing order thing for years.

The clubs range from soccer, water,gun, local drama, bike, Honda 50, parish lotto, pub lotto etc.

I dont deal in the running of the clubs, as far as I can see it is done right and well. Although i havent seen issues regarding money getting mixed up, I think it helps if you have a name on and everyone is covered. Anyway Standing Orders are as much of an inconvenience to a club as they are to a member, equally the money might not be there, when I write a cheque i make sure the money is there till its drawn down, I can write out for an amount there and then given what i know is in my account or based on what bills I know are coming and I can split it into maybe 2 payments. Im not sure what the cost is I admit, think its 20cent to write one, but for the convenience, i'm ok with it.

As you say, clubs write cheques too, its easier and I believe cheaper than drafts, it means someone (treasurer or designated person) doesnt have to carry cash (in some cases maybe a bit) there is good traceability.
    Plus a lot of older members (some not much older than me) are happy with writing cheques. I'd suggest paypal as an alternative but some people (believe it or not) aren't familiar/dont have/dont have access to a computer, they may not admit it or may not care to partake in the web, for them a cheque is simple and straightforward.
    I'm happy with a lot of methods of payment, generally I pay bills online, when they are there, I dislike DD or SO for anything other than mortgage or insurance as have had some issue with payments being taken that were not due. I still feel cheques have a useful place, sounds a bit hamfisted to remove them, like the insistence of implementing e-voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Just like hospitals and the rest of the HSE then :rolleyes:

whatever of the opening hours, parking and standing in Q's at bank branches, i'd assume people only go to the bank branch when they actually have to, therefore Qing is necessary, but at atm's in shopping centres or anywhere for thAt matter?? why would anyone bother really? most everywhere has laser transactions, see big q's at atm's in Liffey when there (rare, but still it's every time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jet Black wrote: »
    Halifax Ireland opened Saturdays and it was usually the quietest day of the week. It would be mostly people paying there credit cards bills.

I can't see how opening longer would increase turnover. It would just mean people would do less online banking and go the a branch instead. Banks are trying to get people to stay away from the branch and use banking online.

I do agree the opening hours would not suit others in 9-5 jobs, but you can do almost everything online with the exception of cash lodgement.

exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

and lets face it balancing a till is not rocket science

hmm. Most of it is automated. Relatively simple to check what you have various whats in your drawer.

Most tellers now balance multi times during the day.

Not like 20+ years ago when you had to manually reconcile all of your daily work and you needed the time at the end of the day to balance.

Advertisement