Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steerer tube grease?

• 26-07-2011 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Anyone know what lubricant to use on the base of the steerer tube? When I took it out of the head tube it looked like it had collected some dirt so I want to degrease & reapply. Steerer looks like aluminium, ht is carbon fibre. Is it a job for tacx carbon compound, or automotive lm grease? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Carbon compound is for carbon on carbon.
    I'd just go with some heavy grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Id be interested to hear opinions on this topic too, the bearings do need grease but according to manufacturers it shouldnt come into contact with the carbon, so what can one do? I usually smear a light coating of heavy grease on the bearings but integrated headsets in carbon frames really dont tend to last very long because of the lack of grease to keep moisture out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Holyboy wrote: »
    the bearings do need grease but according to manufacturers it shouldnt come into contact with the carbon

Which manufacturers?

In all the discussions on this topic I've read, the composite nerds say that the resin is chemically stable and normal grease is no problem at all.

Carbon assembly compound is designed to stop carbon parts in static contact slipping (i.e. it increases friction), so AFAIK it should not be used as a lubricant.

I've seen a (good) mechanic use a sort of red translucent grease which he said was waterproof and good for most things. It looked a bit like carbon assembly compound to me.

I tend to use lithium grease (on small stuff like pedal axles, M5 bolts) or Shimano anti-seize compound (on big stuff like BBs), but I've read that lithium grease tends to degrade into a sort of brown muck over time.

My preferred strategy to sell a bike before it needs any maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Id be interested to hear opinions on this topic too, the bearings do need grease but according to manufacturers it shouldnt come into contact with the carbon, so what can one do? I usually smear a light coating of heavy grease on the bearings but integrated headsets in carbon frames really dont tend to last very long because of the lack of grease to keep moisture out!

I'd have no problems using grease.... for me the only place I would use carbon compound is when you need the 'grippy' side affect to keep something in place (like on a seatpost). For a steerer and headsets it'd be bog standard grease all round. (note though that I'm far from a pro on this stuff so it may banjax your bike if you follow my rules!)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

My bike is a Ridley. I'd be interested to know what they used in the factory - it's a blue/White gunk with the consistency of a hand cream more than a grease. Maybe I'll try some oil of ulay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The crown race (on the fork) and the bearings are not made of carbon. So standard grease will work fine on them. You just to apply it accurately and wipe off any excess. A grease gun is great for this kind of thing.

Strictly speaking you don't need to put any grease on the steerer tube inside the frame, because it doesn't actually touch anything (though the tolerances are very tight).

You need find out if you have a carbon steerer or an alu steerer with carbon forks. Alu steerer - you can use standard grease. Carbon steerer, carbon grease. You really only need grease where the steerer enters and leave the headtube (ie at the bearings), just in case there's some sideways movement.

But as I say, strictly speaking when the headset is fitted correctly, only the races and bearings are in contact, the steerer tube itself touches nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

My bike is a Ridley. I'd be interested to know what they used in the factory - it's a blue/White gunk with the consistency of a hand cream more than a grease. Maybe I'll try some oil of ulay

Kildafornia,
    Watch out when using grease and carbon, there's still a bit of a debate out there as to whether particular chemicals in various greases can be reactant with carbon, thus, weakening it.

I do remember several manufacturers years ago specifically stating warranties would be voided if grease was used.

I would email the manufacturer of any carbon part before greasing and ask them if it is okay and if so, which grease would they recommend.

Well I've been trying to do a bit of reading up on this today, though I was otherwise busy so only had limited time!
    From what I can gather if the grease (or oil) will only come into contact with the laminated surface that's the shiny or painted surface there's not any problem,which makes sense, but if it will come into contact with non laminated carbon it may be kind of soaked up like a sponge would and expand the fibers, I couldn't find any actual information saying it would break down the carbon in any way though, it still seems to be a very grey area, I remember when it seemed all carbon seatposts used to have a sticker warning not to use grease on them, I don't bother to check any more as I've just got set in my ways of not using grease!

I actually have as much experience with carbon fishing rods as I do with carbon bikes,they are put under much more stresses than a bike and very rarely break but they are made to be very flexible where as bike frames aren't!!

I'm none the wiser really, but why take the chance of slapping grease all over your carbon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Well I've been trying to do a bit of reading up on this today, though I was otherwise busy so only had limited time!
    From what I can gather if the grease (or oil) will only come into contact with the laminated surface that's the shiny or painted surface there's not any problem,which makes sense, but if it will come into contact with non laminated carbon it may be kind of soaked up like a sponge would and expand the fibers, I couldn't find any actual information saying it would break down the carbon in any way though, it still seems to be a very grey area, I remember when it seemed all carbon seatposts used to have a sticker warning not to use grease on them, I don't bother to check any more as I've just got set in my ways of not using grease!
    +1 agreed
    I actually have as much experience with carbon fishing rods as I do with carbon bikes,they are put under much more stresses than a bike and very rarely break but they are made to be very flexible where as bike frames aren't!!

I'm none the wiser really, but why take the chance of slapping grease all over your carbon!

Additionally, when a carbon rod breaks, my body isn't speeding down a hill!

Once, a friend and myself were looking at rods at a Walmart or Target type store. He was so anxious to show me how the Ugli Sticks were unbreakable and guaranteed that he was bending the stick back onto itself.

He did it once and I cringed, it only made him want to do it more.

He did it twice.

On the third time, BOOM, it broke! Have you ever heard gunfire close up? It sounded just like a shot.

All I could say was, how will you be paying for that?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Were the rods near the shotgun section of Walmart? That would have been fun if security thought you were holding up the place. So did ye walk ooff or do the decent thing and pay.

Have carbon frameand carbon fork/carbon steerer on order. Can someone recommend some carbon grease. Glad you brought up this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Dura Ace Grease, as recommended by a mechanic I know. It oozes quality.

FISMA wrote: »
    +1 agreed

Additionally, when a carbon rod breaks, my body isn't speeding down a hill!

Once, a friend and myself were looking at rods at a Walmart or Target type store. He was so anxious to show me how the Ugli Sticks were unbreakable and guaranteed that he was bending the stick back onto itself.

He did it once and I cringed, it only made him want to do it more.

He did it twice.

On the third time, BOOM, it broke! Have you ever heard gunfire close up? It sounded just like a shot.

All I could say was, how will you be paying for that?

;)

Haha, they are supposed to be unbreakable! I think theyre made from fiberglass though,they definitely have a solid glass tip,horrible rods to use,but this is a little OT:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

good document for working with carbon

Advertisement