Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant problems please help!

Options
  • 26-07-2011 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Im sorry If this thread seems a bit personal but im really in need of help here. I mentioned in a thread here I was accepted into maths in UCD and I was delighted with that. I applied for a grant as an independent mature student and havent had my grant processed yet as they require more documentation. For the ast year I lived in two seperate address neither of which have been my parents. The fact is I come from an abusive household and finally managed to extract myself from it last year so I have been living out of my house so I have no contact with my parents.

I have proof I lived at one of my addresses but it doesnt give the details of when I moved out and I have yet to recieve proof that I live in my current residence (utilitiy bills not in my name and bank statments wont do) As I lived in uncertain circumstances I havent proof of all my residences as a lot of that was sleeping on friend's couchs ect. The woman in the county council asked for proof im estranged from my parents. This is a late chance to go back to college and make the most of my life how do I prove that Im estranged from my parents due to abuse. Its a horrible way to treat people I offered to get a sworn affidavit but that wont do! I have no savings so if I dont get the grant I wont be able to go to college please tell me they would refuse a grant for no fault of my own? Im meeting a local td tuesday and discussing the situation with him I feel like im being punished because of my circumstances.

Basically how do I prove estrangement from parents All I have is proof that I attended counsoling for child abuse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

It seems you are doing all you can. I always though that a solicters letter would do if you were really stuck to prove your address. The TD is definitly the right way forward. I hope that goes well and hopefully it can be resolved. I know its no help but just get everything together go back into the council and don't give up. Its amazing how far you have come already so dont lose faith now. See if a solicters letter will do (ask again) and chin up. Oh and congrats for getting accepted on your course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

What about a letter from your GP stating that you received treatment and counselling? Or from your local garda station. I've no idea how you would be able to prove your situation unless there have been legal cases etc. Did the person in the county council not give you any info on what would be considered sufficient proof?
    It really sucks but I can't think what else you could do. good luck with it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭flay

It seems you are doing all you can. I always though that a solicters letter would do if you were really stuck to prove your address. The TD is definitly the right way forward. I hope that goes well and hopefully it can be resolved. I know its no help but just get everything together go back into the council and don't give up. Its amazing how far you have come already so dont lose faith now. See if a solicters letter will do (ask again) and chin up. Oh and congrats for getting accepted on your course! :)

Thanks for the encouragment I will go to the td I wont rest until im treated fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pop into your local citizens information centre. They are usually very helpful in these situations.

Mona Olsen wrote: »
    What about a letter from your GP stating that you received treatment and counselling? Or from your local garda station. I've no idea how you would be able to prove your situation unless there have been legal cases etc. Did the person in the county council not give you any info on what would be considered sufficient proof?
    It really sucks but I can't think what else you could do. good luck with it though!

I actually recieived a letter today from the hse stating that I recieved counsolling for child abuse so Ill use that to state my case. There hasnt been a legal case as that would destroy the good members of my family. The county council woman was very confrontational about the whole thing to be honest she even said I know your living in x y and z but we cant consider you an independant student. Now that I have proof I was treated as a victim of child abuse Ill show that to the td and state my case. Before that Ill include all my new information and send it in to the county council and if she has a problem with that I will make a complaint of discrimination. There is no way I should be punished further for being abused when people from stable homes receive help.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Pop into your local citizens information centre. They are usually very helpful in these situations.

I will indeed I also went to the hse and they were very helpful, they suggested some things and if that doesnt work they said come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

The info you have from the HSE is enough to prove you had to leave your parents' house. The only other thing you need now is the proof of where you lived. If the HSE knows where you lived for the past few years, get this on paper from them. Extra proof would be P60's if you were working, Social Welfare proof if you were on Social Welfare, ANYTHING official prior to 2011 that you may have like car registration? an old letters from HSE or counsellors etc. The stronger you make you case the better for yourself.

Advertisement