Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL beer offers

• 26-07-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

LIDLs weekly offers from Mon July 25th - Sun July 31st
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/7581.htm
    Had a few Franziskaner tonight. Nice but not a great beer, bit bland, would suit a BBQ.
    Not an ale drinker but might try some Bishop finger or spitfire. Have seen some good posts on here
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Feck the beer, Nutella's on offer!

But nah, nah, beer's good too. Kind of getting bored of Lidl's selection, I'd never drink a Shepard Neame beer twice, they're fairly bland and boring, and have a uniformly unpleasant taste, which I can only assume is skunking from the clear bottles (or maybe it's just in my head).
    Might pick up a couple of Franziskaners though, they always go down nicely, although this offer's not as good as the €1.20 they were at a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

muppet_man wrote: »
    Not an ale drinker but might try some Bishop finger or spitfire. Have seen some good posts on here

I always find that breweries (Shepherds neame) beers to be a bit of a let down. Bishops finger is probably one of their best but still not amazing by any means.

Plus they insist on clear bottles..... :(

I doubt they'll convert you to the joys of good ale!! :)

Worth a try though at that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

slayerking wrote: »
    I always find that breweries (Shepherds neame) beers to be a bit of a let down. Bishops finger is probably one of their best but still not amazing by any means.

Plus they insist on clear bottles..... :(

I doubt they'll convert you to the joys of good ale!! :)

Worth a try though at that price!

Yea Bishops finger is as good as it get with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm the same with the Shepherd Neame stuff, it could be their yeast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I find their beers lack any real malty backbone, there all way to thin.

Plus whatever their using for hops (whether their using real hops or extract or what) does not taste/smell like fresh hops should, there almost metallic maybe even a touch rubbery.
    Together with the clear bottles and that light struck skunk often present, recipe for disaster!!

I would love to try some of their stuff on cask all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I find their beers lack any real malty backbone, there all way to thin.

Plus whatever their using for hops (whether their using real hops or extract or what) does not taste/smell like fresh hops should, there almost metallic maybe even a touch rubbery.
    Together with the clear bottles and that light struck skunk often present, recipe for disaster!!

Their stuff ranges from bog standard to awful, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Wetherspoons in the north have their stuff on cask a good bit. Had a pint of Bishops Finger in Derry a few weeks ago and it was lovely, definitely better than the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

€1.34 for a bottle of Franziskaner is great value.

I recently did a blind weissbier taste test with it, Erdinger Urweiss, and Weihenstephaner. I thought I liked Weihenstephaner best, but to my surprise Franziskaner came out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

The Franziskaner is my 'run of the mill' beer and I will treat myself to a Schneider Weisse or Weisenstaphen, occasionally.

Given Lidl's German heritage, it would be great if they got in more wheat beers.

Advertisement