Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC Build, comments/critique welcome

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey all, building my first PC, just here to confirm that I haven't royally fcuked something up. Any and all comments/critique welcome. :)

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
    MoBo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro ASRock Z68 Extreme4
    GPU: MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB(2x4GB)
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer

HDD 1: WD Caviar Black 1TB
    HDD 2: WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Optical: Samsung SH-222AL DVD/CD R/W (x2)

Intended use is mainly heavy gaming and general internet/program use. I want to be able to run BF3, Skyrim, Crysis etc., and run them well.

I plan to SLI my GPU and maybe overclock my CPU in future so I'm investing in a good PSU to allow for that and some leeway.

Any glaring faults I may have overlooked in this build? Also, can someone enlighten me as to the intricacies of PSUs? I've read the topics here but I still don't get it.

Cheers,

~RS

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'd avoid the Corsair Vengence RAM. They have quite high heatspreaders that can interfere with a lot of CPU coolers.

ASUS boards have been a bit flaky lately, have a look at the ASRock Z68 Extreme 4. It should be in the same pricerange.

Rest looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gurg07

why do you need two optical drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningShovel

@deconduo

ASRock Board looks good, practically the same feature set. Thanks for the heads up.

Any recommended RAM instead?

Also, the ASRock comes with a USB3.0 front board. My case has 2 USB3.0 ports. Will I be able to take the cables from the front board and plug them into the case cables or will I have to buy a separate cable. I saw a motherboard header to passthrough cable mentioned somewhere...?

Never mind, case comes with a MoBo header cable. :D

@gurg07

Cause it's handy and they're cheap, why not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

G.Skill Ripjaws gets recommended for a lot of builds around here, using it myself and works like a charm.

@Burgo

Cheers, seen that recommended elsewhere too. I'll go with that so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Burgo wrote: »
    G.Skill Ripjaws gets recommended for a lot of builds around here, using it myself and works like a charm.

it's llike that gets cheaper every day! bought for 67isha few weeks ago, it was 55 yesterday, 53 today

@Tar.Aldarion

Better purchase soon then :D

Advertisement