Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking on O'Connell St in Sligo

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Was walking up O'Connell street in Sligo and tripped over some idiot busking, How come people are allowed to take up so much space with so much gear on a public footpath? perhaps if he sold his expensive looking equiptment he need not busk. Don't you need a permit to busk????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

so you're complaining he was busking because you tripped up as you clearly werent watching where you are going, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sligo could do with a lot more street music because it just adds a bit of culture, colour and life to the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Another ignorant comment by In The Sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I loved it when it was pedestrianised and there was buskers on the street .. was a great atmosphere and very safe for the kids ..now its like an assault course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I've never noticed any of the buskers taking up too much space, it's really nice having them around except when I feel guilty for not throwing change in their cases :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I don't mind the buskers tbh, but the footpaths in O'Connel St. are wholly inadequate for them plus pedestrians and buggies and such. The only problem I found with the street being closed to traffic is that it made the lives of chuggers much easier as they could spam you across the whole street.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Was walking up O'Connell street in Sligo and tripped over some idiot busking.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGPwj4QYIIBlQZoIi0eA0Z-yZ7Jb7o2RisgHSY-k70nFAeyRUw

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

To be honest. Saturday I've never seen so many buskers in my life.

You don't need a permit to busk. You need a permit it to street preform. I don't know what the difference is but clearly one you need a permit for and one you don't.

To be quite honest I preferred O' Connell street pedestrianized as well as it was much safer and it was a nice place to hang out!
    Now it's just **** and dangerous.

The music as people stated above just adds to the atmosphere and I'd even do it myself once I get my Cajon. Go in with a couple of mates. It's all just a bit of craic in fairness! :)
    No need to be nippy just cause you tripped over someones stuff dude.

Stuff happens. You'd swear the man put the equipment there to purposely trip you up which I doubt was the case AT ALL...

So enjoy your summer while it lasts and join in on the fun :D

The Jazz Festival was on so there was bound to be some street musicians around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

booboo88 wrote: »
    so you're complaining he was busking because you tripped up as you clearly werent watching where you are going, :rolleyes:

Thats the thing, it was my fault, I wasn't looking where I was going, but due care should be taken where he placed his equiptment!!

• Advertisement

Thats the thing, it was my fault, I wasn't looking where I was going, but due care should be taken where he placed his equiptment!!

due care should also be taken when walking down the street no?
    or am i mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was briefly in town yesterday just to pop into Easons and was in a bit of a hurry but I noticed an Inca Group playing that Peruvian type music, it was a nice change and would have stayed to listen.

I think it's nice to see buskers, it adds atmosphere :D

What I don't like seeing is those people from charities who run up to you with their hand out expecting you to shake their hand and try to get you to sign up to donate money......they get on my nerves:(

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Another ignorant comment by In The Sticks.

Hi Hobbitfeet.
    Thank you for your kind words, but can you at least try and argue the toss in relation to my last post? I am beginning to believe that I am dealing with sombody who uses a colouring book and crayons!

I don't have a problem with buskers, I had a problem with this guy who had the footpath taken over with his equiptment.

To be honest. Saturday I've never seen so many buskers in my life.

You don't need a permit to busk. You need a permit it to street preform. I don't know what the difference is but clearly one you need a permit for and one you don't.

To be quite honest I preferred O' Connell street pedestrianized as well as it was much safer and it was a nice place to hang out!
    Now it's just **** and dangerous.

The music as people stated above just adds to the atmosphere and I'd even do it myself once I get my Cajon. Go in with a couple of mates. It's all just a bit of craic in fairness! :)
    No need to be nippy just cause you tripped over someones stuff dude.

Stuff happens. You'd swear the man put the equipment there to purposely trip you up which I doubt was the case AT ALL...

So enjoy your summer while it lasts and join in on the fun :D

Hold on a sec TomJoe you appear to be missing my point, I don't have a problem with buskers, I didn't have a problem with this guy until I nearly busted myself over his gear, I have stopped and listen to many people busking and admired their performances, this guy had a lot of stuff strewn all over the place, nobody should have to step over gear like that on a public footpath.
    I can see where you are coming from, you are a musician of sorts?, that may be the answer to your prayers. You said before that you were arsing around with nothing to do... you seem to be up to speed regarding permits and such like, perhaps you should do a spot of busking yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Hold on a sec TomJoe you appear to be missing my point, I don't have a problem with buskers, I didn't have a problem with this guy until I nearly busted myself over his gear, I have stopped and listen to many people busking and admired their performances, this guy had a lot of stuff strewn all over the place, nobody should have to step over gear like that on a public footpath.
    I can see where you are coming from, you are a musician of sorts?, that may be the answer to your prayers. You said before that you were arsing around with nothing to do... you seem to be up to speed regarding permits and such like, perhaps you should do a spot of busking yourself??

Ah I see! Sorry for my misinterpretation !
    Umm see the thing is I love music yes. But I'm a drummer! A drummer wouldn't get very far busking with out a guitarist of sorts to be honest!.

Hi Hobbitfeet.
    Thank you for your kind words, but can you at least try and argue the toss in relation to my last post? I am beginning to believe that I am dealing with sombody who uses a colouring book and crayons!

I have seem so many comments from you in Sligo section and 99% of the time you have a rude smart ass comment not usually helpful to original poster. This has been commented on by other posters also. Once again you have done this with your above comment. Do you just come on here to complain or try to make fun of people? Does writing smart ass comments make you feel better about yourself? Try constructive comments and you might get good reactions from people I can guarantee you that will make you feel a lot better.

Also you had posted that you admit it was your fault you tripped over his things because you were not looking where you were going. So why the point of the post? I'm sure while walking down the street you were able to hear the buskers music from a fair bit away, maybe this should have caught your attention and alerted you to the fact that the pathway might not to totally clear and to pay extra attention to where you were walking hence avoiding your accident. We all know how narrow the footpaths in Sligo are.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

I don't have a problem with buskers, I had a problem with this guy who had the footpath taken over with his equiptment.

If he had so much equipment, how come you couldnt see him?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

You aren't watching where you are going and bump into a busker. Then you proceed to go on the internet and start a thread about it. What is wrong with you?

Hi Hobbitfeet.
    Yes I will buy you some nice crayons

• Advertisement

due care should also be taken when walking down the street no?
    or am i mistaken?

I beg to differ, I do believe you are mistaken. If you park your car on a footpath you can get a ticket, it is also an offence to place display signs or sandwich boards on a footpath, all in all you can't obstruct a footpath.
    I have seem so many comments from you in Sligo section and 99% of the time you have a rude smart ass comment not usually helpful to original poster. This has been commented on by other posters also. Once again you have done this with your above comment. Do you just come on here to complain or try to make fun of people? Does writing smart ass comments make you feel better about yourself? Try constructive comments and you might get good reactions from people I can guarantee you that will make you feel a lot better.

Also you had posted that you admit it was your fault you tripped over his things because you were not looking where you were going. So why the point of the post? I'm sure while walking down the street you were able to hear the buskers music from a fair bit away, maybe this should have caught your attention and alerted you to the fact that the pathway might not to totally clear and to pay extra attention to where you were walking hence avoiding your accident. We all know how narrow the footpaths in Sligo are.

Hi Hobbitfeet.
    Perhaps you should roll back and see the two way conversation I had with TomJoe and realise that I was not making smart ass comments about his post. How sure are you that I could see or hear the busker, I could be deaf or blind, the busker might not have been playing, you seem to cast judgement rather quickly and then look rather silly at then end of it all, look Hobbitfeet if you are going to supply the bullets I will fire the gun. :D
    If he had so much equipment, how come you couldnt see him?

Because he was on the corner at the Body Shop and the lane-way down to Rockwood.
    Tupamaros wrote: »
    You aren't watching where you are going and bump into a busker. Then you proceed to go on the internet and start a thread about it. What is wrong with you?

You might go back and read my previous posts first...

Hi Hobbitfeet.
    Perhaps you should roll back and see the two way conversation I had with TomJoe and realise that I was not making smart ass comments about his post. How sure are you that I could see or hear the busker, I could be deaf or blind, the busker might not have been playing, you seem to cast judgement rather quickly and then look rather silly at then end of it all, look Hobbitfeet if you are going to supply the bullets I will fire the gun. :D

All you have to do is go over your previous threads and threads of others and look at the responses your posts get from many people to understand what I am trying to say to you about the attitude you portray on here and your smart ass comments.

Also I didn't "cast judgement rather quickly" as you suggested. I have read your previous posts and see you mentioned that you have "spent many a day listening to buskers" which means I knew you were not deaf and another post you said "was not looking where I was going" therefore you must not be blind. So at the end of it I don't look rather silly do I? But you do and this once again proves my point of your posts being ignorant and smart ass. Maybe you should you take your bullets out of your gun you might hurt yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

As long as its not westlife,no coudnt be,they cant play the guitar.

I beg to differ, I do believe you are mistaken. If you park your car on a footpath you can get a ticket, it is also an offence to place display signs or sandwich boards on a footpath, all in all you can't obstruct a footpath.

Its a damn shame stupidity isn't an offence :rolleyes:

All you have to do is go over your previous threads and threads of others and look at the responses your posts get from many people to understand what I am trying to say to you about the attitude you portray on here and your smart ass comments.

Also I didn't "cast judgement rather quickly" as you suggested. I have read your previous posts and see you mentioned that you have "spent many a day listening to buskers" which means I knew you were not deaf and another post you said "was not looking where I was going" therefore you must not be blind. So at the end of it I don't look rather silly do I? But you do and this once again proves my point of your posts being ignorant and smart ass. Maybe you should you take your bullets out of your gun you might hurt yourself.

I don't know should I be worried or chuffed that I have my own on-line stalker that litterly goes over my old post word for word, How sad :rolleyes:

I don't know should I be worried or chuffed that I have my own on-line stalker that litterly goes over my old post word for word, How sad :rolleyes:

sweet mothering jesus, do you get on the special bus?

You mentioned both of these things in THIS thread.

You mentioned both of these things in THIS thread.
    What are you talking about?

sweet mothering jesus, do you get on the special bus?

I'm sorry BooBoo, but could you explain what you mean by 'special bus'? :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm sorry BooBoo, but could you explain what you mean by 'special bus'? :confused:

that answers my question pet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement