Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Chuggers in Town

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Whats town like for them this year? Fairly bad last summer if I remeber correctly, im not in galway this summer so I was wondering are the usual suspects out in force?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was approached by three different people about the sodding Hanley Centre yesterday afternoon. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yep they are back, plain clothes and badge in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Whats town like for them this year? Fairly bad last summer if I remeber correctly, im not in galway this summer so I was wondering are the usual suspects out in force?

Now you have me wondering why are you wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cotzie32

I got fairly harrassed by them yesterday the Hanley ones....
    Walked past one of them and she stood in my path and stopped me and when I went to move she moved to block me again....
    This I found very annoying so was in no mood to donate for the stract card...
    I then moved on and was approach by another one who informed me that they would all keep bothering all the way down the street until I bought one....
    I said I will just say I bought one to which she replied I will tell the others to watch out for the person in the red t-shirt....
    To which I said, I will just change my t-shirt...
    She said is it not just easier to give us the money and we will stop hassling you....

This really annoyed me, if I cant walk down the street without being hassled. They probably don't even care about the cause they are collecting for, as they get paid per the amount of lottery cards they sell...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Jaysus, that's a bit much alright.

One of them said to me "I bet nobody else has wanted to talk to ya" - not in a mean way, like, and I didn't realise until I'd gone on past how it could easily have been construed as an insult, but come on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Got stopped by one earlier. " Are ya having a good day? You must be you're smiling". I said " I'm smiling because I'm thinking of the enjoyment I'm gonna get from punching you in the face if you're not out of my way in 5 seconds". That soon got rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

bigtuna wrote: »
    Got stopped by one earlier. " Are ya having a good day? You must be your smiling". I said " I'm smiling because I'm thinking of the enjoyment I'm gonna get from punching you in the face if you're not out of my way in 5 seconds". That soon got rid of him.

Oooh thats a good one! :D
    I do donate to charity but Im not going to stop in the middle of the street and get out my purse and look for change so sod off!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you have a few spare minutes, it can be entertaining to ask to see their license and have a good old read of it. Then don't give 'em anything.

Another trick might be to use the cellphone to take a picture of them and the licence - I've never tried it myself, but it might put them off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Just tell them to f**k off if they're standing in your way like that. Cheek of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Yeah, they were fairly thick on Shop Street today, I was accompanied for a good stretch of the way by one. I'd never encountered chuggers that adamant before. Surprised to see here that it's such a common tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

They are out in force this week. I won't take my wallet out on the street nor will I give my bank details to anyone. Can't abide people stopping you as you go about your business, same as those hand cream people outside Penneys in the SC. Go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I just smile at them and intensely stare at them square on as they start to talk and say "no thank you". Never had hassle.

Irish people often have a problem with polite directness! It took me a while to hone that response :)
    People tend to avoid eye contact and mutter, then finally snap and bark at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They were in Buskers last week too until the Manager kicked them out.

Advertisement