Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about RAM?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I have a quick question for fellow builders.

I am spec'ing parts for a new PC now, and will most likely go for an AMD Phenom II X4, probably a Black Edition;

I know it will require DDR3 ram, but I'm not certain what speed of DDR3 to use with it and I don't want to guess and most likely make an inefficient error.

Specifically, I would want the RAM to keep up with the processor in sync. I don't know whether I will try to overclock it or not, if I do, I might like some headroom (i.e. going a grade or two above).

Assuming however that I do NOT overclock, what grade of RAM is best suited to a high end quad core AMD processor?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Just get the cheapest kit tbh, its hard to go wrong with RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its also going to depend on what motherboard you get, more than the cpu itself.

decide what mobo you want and then you'll know what speed of ram to get.

if you're not overclocking then just get the budget corsair, kingston or crucial memory that suits your mobo.

if you are going to overlcock then it's a whole different story, but cheap isn't the way to go there. once you've found your mobo, you'll want to have a look at the forums for the mfg and also overclocking forums and see if you can see what types of ram people have good and bad things to say about for your chosen mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Sorry for the highjack but if overclocking what would be decent DDR3 RAM (no fancy heatsinks) to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

The cheapest 1600Mhz CL9 @ 1.5v or 1.35v its what you want (or 1333MHz CL7 @ same voltages).

Cheapest option would be RAM running at 1.5v which is perfect. Avoid anthing over that.

Advertisement