Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a 2TB hard drive (internal) for me.

Options
  • 26-07-2011 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

(Sorry for posting two threads when I probably could have put both questions into one, but) I'm about to build a new PC and could use some advice on what hard drive to use.

I intend to use a 2GB hard drive to store large amounts of videos, pictures & other documents, songs and whatnot, but for me, now at least, the decision seems to be a slightly more complicated and troubling than in the past.

To be frank, in the days of old when I needed a new internal hard drive, I just bought whatever and it would usually work. Maxtors, WDs, whatever. In one case a long time ago I just walked into a shop and asked for whatever they had to sell (at time an 80GB hard drive for upgrade).

That was, until last lear, the last time I bought a HDD, it was a Western Digital 750GB Green Power.

And it was ****awful. After installing it and testing it out with some old games, those games (that worked fine on everything else) were brought to their knees by extreme issues with latency. To this day, I still thank my lucky stars that I didn't put Windows or the swapfile on it :( What a POS. :mad:

Needless to say that though I'm still using it, for now, it's been relegated to storage ONLY, as I have enough SSDs for my programs, so I rarely notice how crappy it is. When replaced, it will be relegated to an External enclosure with a "ONLY USE FOR STORAGE" warning label.

Needless also to say, that I am a little bit wary about buying anything with "Green" in the name, for fear that I will be treated to a repeat performance. I am, however, also noticing that all the Green HDs are WAY cheaper, and might save me some money in electricity costs. So I'm not sure what to do :(

I've posted two links, Kompletts' list of HDs and Dabs' list of HDDs 15.TB and greater, I hope someone can advise me
    Thanks in advance;
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/ZKB_01COM/11_HDD/07_INTHD35/default.aspx

http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,hard-drives,internal-hard-drives/11154-52770000

Comments

Advertisement