Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can colour work with black / grey?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Just over a year since my first tat, and I'm getting an idea for the next stages.

Basically, I want to get a tattoo to do with my Granny, and I don't want to wait until she dies. It's more important to me that she knows I love her while she's still alive.
    Anyways I've asked her what she would like to represent her (as I'm not a portrait fan) and she's chosen a goldfinch (bird).

In my head I've always wanted a black / grey battle scene, either on my arm or else my back, and now I like the thought of the bird watching over that scene. The battle scene will be done in future, but the goldfinch will be much sooner and will be on it's own for a good while

However, I feel that to get a goldfinch in black/grey would be silly, as it should look vibrant and colourful. So, what I'm wondering is whether a full colour tat can look well as part of a black / grey piece?

Any ideas / advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

What you're describing is do-able, but I think I'd definitley work out a cohesive overall plan for the whole thing before you start - using the same artist for the whole thing.

If the design is clever and all of it is, for example, realistic in style, then I think it wouldn't be too jarring if it is predominantly black and grey except for a bit of colour on the border.

When you mentioned your original idea I immediately though of Remis (Remis Tattoo), and these pieces he did-

Black and grey warrior sleeve: http://www.remistattoo.com/gallery/Tattoo/Black+and+grey/warrior_sleeve_tattoo_by_remistattoo-d3glfsb.jpg.html

Colour realistic - bluebird:
    http://www.remistattoo.com/gallery/Tattoo/Colour/blue_bird_cherry_blossom_tatto_by_remistattoo-d3glfo0.jpg.html

I'd imagine you could certainly work the bird into a scheme somehow. Maybe place the bird against a black and grey sky, on the border of a sleeve, or as a chest piece facing the sleeve..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hadn't considered the artist, but by Christ, Remis' work is phenomenal. Definitely gonna take him into consideration.I believe the waiting list is insane for him though, isn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I really don't know how long his waiting list is, but waiting lists of 6 months to a year or longer aren't unusual in tattooing. In a way they're a good sign. :pac:

If someone does have a ridiculous waiting list, or perhaps isn't even taking any new clients, it may still be possible to hold out for a cancellation.

That's pretty much the only way to get tattooed by some really in-demand artists like Valerie Vargas (Frith Street, UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Have no advice for the tattoo, but went to Remis last month to discuss the tattoo I wanted with him in person - and he's booked up until February, but definately worth the wait. Had my heart getting him to do what I wanted because his stuff is just superb. I guess the fact his waiting list is so long just confirms that. Lovely guy to deal with, as are all the staff at Skin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Remis' waiting list is gone way past February at this stage. But he gets cancellations sometimes so make an appointment and if someone cancels he'll get in contact. Often at short notice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 LaLibertine

Does anyone have any idea of his price range?

Does anyone have any idea of his price range?

Think from the price he gave me, it goes by how long the piece will take and the detail that goes with it. If you want a piece by him you can ask on Skin City's facebook page and they'll send you a message on price. Though I went in to make sure there was no confusion in the size and what I wanted done.

Man is well worth it in my opinion from the quality of his work I've seen.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Think from the price he gave me, it goes by how long the piece will take and the detail that goes with it. If you want a piece by him you can ask on Skin City's facebook page and they'll send you a message on price. Though I went in to make sure there was no confusion in the size and what I wanted done.

Man is well worth it in my opinion from the quality of his work I've seen.

Thanks for your help! :)

My problem is I got a tattoo done last year, mostly rose based, going from my back, round to my hip.

The tattoo artist did NOT listen to me and started the tattoo in the wrong position, and now that it's finished I think it looks oddly positioned. He also started to shade the first rose on my back heavily, obviously the rest had to be done this way then and I often think it looks TOO black, considering they're roses, I wanted it nicely grey more than black!

This was over a year ago and it bugs me every time I look at it, I have to do something, have a couple of ideas like adding a pin up girl but not sure red could be added to roses as they are quite dark. Either that or keeping it black and grey and adding more roses scaling up my back, just something to piece it altogether so it doesn't look so odd and out of place. Might need a cover up in some parts.

Anywho, rant over :D Do you think I could try get an appointment with Remis without having a concrete idea of what to do to make it look better?!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Can't go wrong with Remis, he's spot on.

I think the colour bird would look amazing against a black and grey piece! I have a black and grey piece on my foot, with blue eyes staring out, and people always comment on how striking the colour is against the rest (it was Remis by the way)

AFAIK he charges €100 per hour and takes a €100 deposit to secure your booking.

PS. Direct contact details here: http://remistattoo.com/

Also, I know since selling his own shop, not only is he working in other shops, but he's also hitting the convention scene pretty hard. So if your willing to travel to a convention you might get a spot sooner?

Cheers :) Thanks for your suggestions too, might be able to make the blackness of it work in my favour!

I'll give him a shout now, maybe send him on a pic of my tattoo as it is and see what he has to say! Don't mind waiting a while either, he seems worth it and it'll give me time to do a bitta saving! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Yeah, he charges 100eu an hour and he charged me a 50eu booking fee. Outstanding artist. Can't recommend him enough.

Was just about to say he only charged me E50 for the deposit as well. Probably best to email him and discuss it with him. He'll probably prefer that you come in so he can get a proper idea with what he's dealing with.

Advertisement