Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal to have "yard sale" / sell stuff in front garden, at gate ?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask in), but just wondering does anyone know if its Ok / legal to sell stuff in the front garden of a house, or at the front gate. Small items to raise some cash - like un-wanted items like what you might see in a charity shop or jumble sale / car boot sale.

[I'd bring it to a car boot sale, only don't have a car :D

Are there any rules, regulations or laws I should be aware of before doing this ?

I've seen these kind of "Yard Sales" in places like america, but not here, so just wondering if there is some restriction or law against it ?

Thanks for any advice, Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

The situation in Dublin is this. If you are going to sell on the street outside your gate you will need a Casual Trading Licence from the City Council. You would have to have Public Indemnity Insurance for €6.4 million and supply your PPS number.

This is provided for under the Casual Trading Act and I assume that similar regulations apply in other Council areas. Contact casualtrading@dublincity.ie

If you are going to sell food you need to register with the HSE.

If you stay inside your gate you do not need a licence but you should check your household insurance for Public Liability cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Donedeal tbh

subway wrote: »
    Donedeal tbh

I thought that they are web based only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The best thing to do is hire a spot in a car boot sale. We don't do "yard" sales in Ireland. Selling stuff on-line does the trick or if you want to get rid of it the free-cycle sites are good too.

Keep an eye out in your local area for the next car boot sale they normally have a number to ring to get a stall.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The best thing to do is hire a spot in a car boot sale. We don't do "yard" sales in Ireland. Selling stuff on-line does the trick or if you want to get rid of it the free-cycle sites are good too.

Keep an eye out in your local area for the next car boot sale they normally have a number to ring to get a stall.

But he said that he doesn't have a car!

"Yard" sales in Dublin are usually kids selling unwanted toys. It doesn't have to be so – go for it Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Condatis wrote: »
    But he said that he doesn't have a car!

"Yard" sales in Dublin are usually kids selling unwanted toys. It doesn't have to be so – go for it Mike.
    My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Condatis wrote: »
    I thought that they are web based only.
    yes, but unless you go to a carboot sale you wont clear out any old stuff without it.
    your neighbours are unlikely to buy your old gear at the front of your house

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Cool. Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.

Advertisement