Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for future 6th years

• 26-07-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

I meant to write something like this a while ago, but better late then never. I am a survivor of the Leaving Cert 2011, and there are some things I wish I'd had someone to tell me about going into that year. Now, Everyone and their mother will tell you tips about staying fit and eating healthy and not panicking during the exams and studying every day, so I'm not going to repeat those types of tips. These are just some important but unexpected lessons I learned that I hope will help those of you who face the LC in 2012 or later! Any other past LC students around here should contribute their wisdom also. What I write is only my experience, and your mileage may vary!

Online Distractions- See this thread. It shows you how you can still be in the same building as a computer while studying without the fear of wasting hours on Facebook (Or Google+, whatever the kids are into these days :P ).

Exam papers and Marking Schemes- I cannot stress enough how awesome the Edco Exam Papers are. Teachers will tell you it doesn't matter, but for a lot of the subjects (not all though) the Edco papers have a little code under each question which you can put into their website and get a solution or sample answer. These sample answers and solutions are what made me into an A student in Geography, Biology and Maths (Maths might not apply to the new course as much but still worth a try I think). You should also download marking schemes online for free at examinations.ie, but they don't have full answers or diagrams like Edco does. The Edco answers aren't perfect (or even that great in some cases like for English) but they'll give you an idea of what an answer should look like or how long it should be, which is important.

Getting essays to stay in your brain Different people study in different ways, but what I found worked for me was rewriting and re-typing essays and notes over and over again. English, Irish, History, and Geography at some point or another will require you to memorize quotes, essays or answers. If you can do that, but you can also tailor what you've learned to answer the question, you will do well. By the end of the year I must've re-typed some entire essays 30 times, but I sure as hell knew them off by heart. And, I can type faster than anyone I know now :cool:

--If you are using a computer to type and revise notes, Which I personally found extremely helpful and handy, make a Dropbox account and keep your notes there. Not only are you then safe in case something happens to your computer, but you can access all your notes from a smartphone, school computer, or a whole load of other devices.

--One of the best ways to memorise essays and notes is to listen to them. I use a mac computer which has the (awesome) option of taking a typed document and putting it on an iPod as a spoken mp3, but recording yourself reading the essays and putting them on your iPod is just as effective. You'll feel like a tool listening to yourself reading poetry, but people tend to remember times when they felt like tools vividly :D

I should restate how important it is that even though these tips are mainly about learning essays off by heart, that's *useless* unless you can use the information you learned to answer a question you've never seen before without panicking or going off topic. I did horribly on my History exam because the exact questions I'd prepared didn't come up, I thank God I got lucky for English and my other subjects.

Mocks/Pres- Don't cheat! If you go on Boards or other websites when the Mocks are on, you'll find other people posting what questions are coming up. The mocks are going to be difficult as for most subjects you won't have finished the course. Do the best you can without resorting to Boards to cheat, but don't sweat it if they don't go your way. They don't matter in the long run, it's just a wasted opportunity to practice if you sneak a look at the exams first. Also, many teachers actually make their own mock papers these days, so you could screw yourself if you prepare for a paper you might not get. I cheated for a few subjects and it was the dumbest thing I did all year! :rolleyes:

Grinds vs School teachers- Grinds are Eeeeeeeexpensive, but in my experience they were worth the money. I did grinds for English (just to get myself from a low B to an A hopefully) and German (To get try to myself from an E to C standard). I'm sure there are many crappy grinds teachers out there, but mine were absolute legends and I probably owe my future career to their hard work. Sometimes you will find your teachers will actually take it personally if they find you've been getting grinds, but don't let that stop you if you think they're helping.

It's important to stay on your teachers' good sides only up to a point... and that occasionally means not doing some homework for a certain subject, if you feel your time is better spent on another subject. Explain this to your parents and they shouldn't give you a hard time if you get in trouble for not handing up work on time sometimes if they know it's for a good reason.

Maths- I was part of the last year to do the old course, so there's only so much advice I can give. But what I will say is moving from Higher level maths to Ordinary level was one of the best moves I made, aside from the fact the honours maths paper my year got was by far the hardest there's ever been. I got an A in maths for the JC, but struggled to keep up in Honours through 5th year. After I went down to pass, my whole experience of school got a lot better, as it got rid of loads of stress. But, ordinary level restricts your CAO choices greatly, so it's not for everyone.

That's all I can think of for now, but if anyone else has more advice, then speak up. If you need any help, send me a PM! I did Higher level English, German, Geography, History and Biology, and ordinary level Maths and Irish, so I can offer help for those subjects in particular.

Good luck, you poor, unlucky people! :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

really good:D is there an app or something for drop box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Sunny!! wrote: »
    really good:D is there an app or something for drop box?

Yup! it's free for 2GB of space and there are desktop apps for Windows and Mac, and apps for Android, iOS and Blackberry. Basically all the app for Windows and Mac does is make a little folder that you can drag stuff into and it gets synced with your Dropbox account, which then syncs it to your other computers or phones or whatever. You don't *need* to use the app though, you can do everything through their website as well.

It's awesome for notes, for me it was the cheapest and easiest way I found of taking Microsoft Word documents and putting them on my phone so I could access them in school.

excellent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Leaving Cert 2013

What is a drop box app?

basically you type out your notes, or wherever you get them from save them in dropbox and you can look at them anywhere, on the bus, at school computer, ipod, iphone, someone elses computer:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JessyMc

Great advice.... Im a fellow survivor although a few years ago now!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

great tips and I knew about dropbox before but I never though that i can put mu notes there ;D well I still prefer to write my notes by myself rather then type them on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

heya can you help me since you have savage tips!
    Im skipping 4th year and going into 5th, Im interested in Business & Law and recently grew a interest in Medecine.
    Im planning on doing
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Accouting
    Biology
    Economics
    Music outside of schoool.
    Is that okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

yournerd wrote: »
    Im skipping 4th year and going into 5th, Im interested in Business & Law and recently grew a interest in Medecine.
    Im planning on doing
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Accouting
    Biology
    Economics
    Is that okay?

If you want to do medicine then you should do Chemistry. Also I'm pretty sure you need two science subjects for most medicine degrees. Also I think chemistry is a requirement for some medicine degrees too. Chemistry though would be by far the most important subject for medicine. Biology is a bit of a joke of a subject to be honest. What I find with biology is that you spend your time learning alot about nothing. Its a long course and it just skims over the top of topics and you come out of it without a thorough understanding of anything covered in the course. Chemistry on the other hand is a much more thorough and concise subject.

In short for medicine you should do chemistry and either physics or biology, then just choose which ever subjects you like the best for your remaining choices.

have to do chemistry if your considering medicine

• Advertisement

yeah it will be very hard for you to catch up in college because most of the medicine student have done at least 2 science subjects and chemistry is essential

and maybe I'm wrong but you said that you have interest in Business and Law/ Medicine, I think that they are very different areas and generally people who are interested in study medicine are good at maths, science subjects and business/law is like English, theory, good memory etc therefore you are not really sure what you want to do in life and if you want to do course like law or medicine you should pick one know and work hard for it for the whole 2 LC years because for both of them you will need high points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

angela1711 wrote: »
    great tips and I knew about dropbox before but I never though that i can put mu notes there ;D well I still prefer to write my notes by myself rather then type them on the computer

maybe scan them if you have an all in one printer as it might be easier than typing them all out again

chemistry is compulsory, but theres no harm having a taste at the various subjects, but theres no choice medicine has to have chemistry hc3 you have to get, i wouldnt be too worried about maths, isnt really essential for medicine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

You don't HAVE to do chemistry for medicine, doing premed gives you a solid base in chemistry if you don't want to/don't have the opportunity to do it for Leaving Cert.

Doing biology is actually very useful for medicine. Physics, as far as I can see so far, has not proved to be very useful. If you're sure about medicine, I'd advise biology and chemistry, however, if you want to keep your options open and you're not fully sure about what you want to do, go for whichever one you think you'll prefer.

Skerries wrote: »
    maybe scan them if you have an all in one printer as it might be easier than typing them all out again

I do have an all in one printer but I don't feel a need to scan my notes when i can just open a copy or a folder but I might do that just in case if I go somewhere and I will want to study than i don't have to bring all that heavy folders ;D

chemistry is compulsory, but theres no harm having a taste at the various subjects, but theres no choice medicine has to have chemistry hc3 you have to get, i wouldnt be too worried about maths, isnt really essential for medicine:)

You have to get a HC3 in Chemistry for the 5 year courses in RCSI, UCD and UCC. You DON'T need to do chemistry for the 5 year course in Trinity or NUIG (any 2 science subjects will do), or the 6 year courses in any college (one science needed).

You don't HAVE to do chemistry for medicine, doing premed gives you a solid base in chemistry if you don't want to/don't have the opportunity to do it for Leaving Cert.

Doing biology is actually very useful for medicine. Physics, as far as I can see so far, has not proved to be very useful. If you're sure about medicine, I'd advise biology and chemistry, however, if you want to keep your options open and you're not fully sure about what you want to do, go for whichever one you think you'll prefer.

but you still have to get the hc3 in the lc to get into medicine or am i wrong?

but you still have to get the hc3 in the lc to get into medicine or am i wrong?

All entry requirements here on page 2 :)

That link won't work initially because of boards censoring Med Entry, so when you open the new tab just change the stars in the URL to Med Entry without the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Ok so I am going into sixth myself this year. Am following tips given by my cousin, not only did she get unreal results but is also relatively cool allround so I would like to do similarly. She plays lots of sports and music and has an active social life. She recommended visiting a recommended career guidance counsellor this Summer and I did. Have found it hugely beneficial as clarified what my goals and aims should be. I also sought the free advice of a learning mentor and assuch understand my own learning technique and patterns better.
    She really stressed the importance of routine and from mid August plan on being in one. Eating well and being physically fit are also a must so have been working on that. Lastly, she suggested using a programme to monitor my internet usage. A neighbour of mine seems the master of time and never goes to grinds, instead does them online and only for specific areas of concern, therefore not wasting time. I have done quite a few of these since he introduced me to the concept and can't but recommend them. Also, you get to see ratings and benefit from bespoke classes. Here's hoping it all works for me!

• Advertisement

All entry requirements here on page 2 :)

That link won't work initially because of boards censoring Med Entry, so when you open the new tab just change the stars in the URL to Med Entry without the space.

so the 6 years is for graduates, so they wouldnt need chemistry because they could have done business or law or something else

the 5 year undergraduate you need chemistry hc3, these are for lc students

sorry bit confused:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

so the 6 years is for graduates, so they wouldnt need chemistry because they could have done business or law or something else

No they're both undergraduate courses.

No! Heres all the med courses:

Graduate Entry Medicine: This is a 4 year course, only for people who have got a 2.1 in a previous degree, and sit the GAMSAT exam. Only offered in UL, RCSI, UCC and UCD. This will not concern any of ye, it is not applied for using your LC points.

Undergraduate Entry Medicine: This is for entry using your LC and HPAT, offered in NUIG, TCD, UCD, UCC and RCSI. This can be either the 5 year OR the 6 year course. Applying is all the same, you just apply for "Medicine" on the CAO. When you get offered medicine by the CAO, you are offered the 5 year or 6 year course by the university.

Both courses are the exact same for the last 5 years, the only difference with the 6 year course is that you do premed first before embarking on the 5 year course. Most people do premed. It involves biology, chemistry and physics, along with some clinical stuff.

No! Heres all the med courses:

Graduate Entry Medicine: This is a 4 year course, only for people who have got a 2.1 in a previous degree, and sit the GAMSAT exam. Only offered in UL, RCSI, UCC and UCD. This will not concern any of ye, it is not applied for using your LC points.

Undergraduate Entry Medicine: This is for entry using your LC and HPAT, offered in NUIG, TCD, UCD, UCC and RCSI. This can be either the 5 year OR the 6 year course. Applying is all the same, you just apply for "Medicine" on the CAO. When you get offered medicine by the CAO, you are offered the 5 year or 6 year course by the university.

Both courses are the exact same for the last 5 years, the only difference with the 6 year course is that you do premed first before embarking on the 5 year course. Most people do premed. It involves biology, chemistry and physics, along with some clinical stuff.

thank you got it now:D

Skerries wrote: »

That might be easier, but the half the point of typing them is that they get into your head and stay there. Scanning is ok if you are borrowing notes from someone else who needs them back, but otherwise what's the point? The best notes are the ones you remember.

yournerd wrote: »
    Im planning on doing
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Accouting
    Biology
    Economics
    Is that okay?

Those seem like good choices to me. When I started 5th year I was going for medicine as well, I was never very interested in Chemistry though so I moved to History after a while(biggest regret of 6th year but anyway).

Afterwards, since I thought Chemistry was compulsory for med as well (I'ms still not sure if it is for going into it the normal CAO way or not?), I decided to try for Law, and maybe look into doing the GAMSAT to get into medicine straight after if that didn't seem like it was for me. At the moment I'm thinking I actually would like to be a lawyer, but the good thing about Law is that even if you decide not to be a lawyer it's apparently a great degree with all kinds of career opportunities- like Arts but a bit more impressive.

Don't worry what Angela says, yes Business/Law and Medicine are different but really most people have similarly wide choices going into 5th and 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Another great app is Evernote you can dictate notes in as well as type them
    Best advice I can give especially having completed 2 degrees is that getting into a routine of doing some study everyday i.e. get into a routine, will really stand to you especially when you get to college with all it's unsupervised distractions. If you can carry that habit with you you will have no problem in college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

In my own opinion, if you can take chemistry do. Not taking it closes a lot of doors not just medicine related, all the pharmacy type courses too. Its also very interesting.

My question would be, as someone going into 6th year (which is horrifying. It was always something hovering off in the distance, I never thought I'd be actually be a sixth year!) is dropping out of a teachers class and doing it yourself a bad idea? My chemistry teacher is very bad, she's always making mistakes, always late, always copying answers out of the book and all her tests are way too easy. We're horribly behind in the course. I'm being given the option to sit the class out with another girl and cover the course ourselves, but this would mean no experiments and obviously no teacher. The other advantage though that I see to this is my maths course is also very behind, and if I could get the chem course finished a bit early myself because its short, I could dedicate two of my 6 free chem slots a week to maths. Is this a bad idea?

Chuchoter wrote: »
    My question would be, as someone going into 6th year (which is horrifying. It was always something hovering off in the distance, I never thought I'd be actually be a sixth year!) is dropping out of a teachers class and doing it yourself a bad idea? My chemistry teacher is very bad, she's always making mistakes, always late, always copying answers out of the book and all her tests are way too easy. We're horribly behind in the course. I'm being given the option to sit the class out with another girl and cover the course ourselves, but this would mean no experiments and obviously no teacher. The other advantage though that I see to this is my maths course is also very behind, and if I could get the chem course finished a bit early myself because its short, I could dedicate two of my 6 free chem slots a week to maths. Is this a bad idea?

To be honest I think if you have the motivation to cover it yourself you should do so. My teacher in 5th year was horrendous, he retired and we got a better teacher for LC but still had to do some of the course myself. Its not too bad once you get over some of the more difficult stuff, just make sure to equip yourself with as much notes, internet resources and youtube links as possible :)

Is the other girl a fairly high standard? I find that one of the best ways I learn things is by explaining it to someone else, not that the opportunity arises all too often. If this worked for you, why not agree with the other girl that for a few days you each cover a seperate chapter, and then spend an hour or so teaching eachother the other chapter. This way you don't get in eachothers way, but you are motivated to learn something because you have a deadline to know it by :)

• Advertisement

Ok so I am going into sixth myself this year. Am following tips given by my cousin, not only did she get unreal results but is also relatively cool allround so I would like to do similarly. She plays lots of sports and music and has an active social life. She recommended visiting a recommended career guidance counsellor this Summer and I did. Have found it hugely beneficial as clarified what my goals and aims should be. I also sought the free advice of a learning mentor and assuch understand my own learning technique and patterns better.
    She really stressed the importance of routine and from mid August plan on being in one. !

Excellent points, and reminds me of some important things I didn't think to mention before.

I found exercise to be the best way to get rid of stress, which for me was weird because I'm not at all a sporty guy. I used this 100 pushup program
    , it's surprisingly effective, requires the minimum of time and effort, and every time I found myself getting frustrated or upset at the workload it totally helped me calm down. Got me through the year without freaking out too much, and by the end of June, oh how the ladies swooned at my Hulk-like physique! :cool:

Getting into a routine for studying, eating, etc is extremely important, as Sweet said. For me I only managed to find a routine that really stuck during the Mock exams, with 90 minute sessions of each subject, 4 or 5 subjects a day except Friday and Saturday. 90 minutes seems like a lot, but I procrastinated a lot so really it was a way of tricking myself into doing maybe an hour of good study (If I only planned to do an hour, I'd probably really do 30 mins of proper non-daydreaming study).

That routine got more intense as the exams got closer, eventually I was getting 7 90-minute study sessions done a day. To do this, I was getting up VERY early. Now, I was not and am not a morning person, but I found staying up late to study wasn't getting me anywhere, so I started going to bed at like 9pm at the latest, getting up at 4:30 or 5am, and studying. Yeah, that doesn't sound fun. Honestly though, once I got my sleep pattern sorted, It's actually not bad studying that early- I had the kitchen to myself for hours, nothing on TV or Facebook to distract me, and I found myself able to remember things much better. For the love of GOD, do not attempt to sacrifice sleep for study. Your brain will punish you for trying in horrible ways. Getting up early isn't a case of losing sleep, it's a case of going to sleep earlier. Yeah, I was getting up at 4am plenty of mornings but falling asleep by 8pm so I still got more sleep than most of my friends. When the exams come around, that's when this sleep pattern of "Wake up, study, exam, sleep, repeat" was actually really awesome. I walked into each exam with the precious knowledge super fresh in my mind, and sleeping almost straight afterwards meant I was bypassing all the "oh **** I wonder if that exam went bad" thoughts while cramming for the next day's exam.

So yeah, at the very end of 6th year, you get a choice- Social Life or Sleep or Study; pick 2. And you can't really choose a social life anyway, because your friends certainly won't!

Also, I really didn't go to school all that much for the last few weeks (like many of the things I've written here, this is not so much advice as a summary of my personal 6th year experience and how it worked out for me, it's up to you whether or not you take any of this on board as YMMV!). I thought a lot of my teachers were going over things I could've revised much better myself at home, so I stayed home and studied. I don't regret this, I think it all worked out as good as it could have. Throughout Junior Cert you tend to look at all teachers with contempt, but in 6th year we really started to understand which teachers were actually really cool and how beneficial they were, and for some others we started to understand that they were not going to be any help at all. Yeah, I had some gloriously bad teachers. I think everyone does to some extent; what separates you in life is how well you were able to judge how much help is available to you and having the initiative to help yourself after that.

Advertisement