Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for future 6th years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

To be honest I think if you have the motivation to cover it yourself you should do so. My teacher in 5th year was horrendous, he retired and we got a better teacher for LC but still had to do some of the course myself. Its not too bad once you get over some of the more difficult stuff, just make sure to equip yourself with as much notes, internet resources and youtube links as possible :)

Is the other girl a fairly high standard? I find that one of the best ways I learn things is by explaining it to someone else, not that the opportunity arises all too often. If this worked for you, why not agree with the other girl that for a few days you each cover a seperate chapter, and then spend an hour or so teaching eachother the other chapter. This way you don't get in eachothers way, but you are motivated to learn something because you have a deadline to know it by :)
    The other girl is really smart and motivated, so she's a good partner to do it with because she won't just use it as a doss. The teaching eachother idea is brilliant!! I'l definitely tell the other girl that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Chuchoter wrote: »
    In my own opinion, if you can take chemistry do. Not taking it closes a lot of doors not just medicine related, all the pharmacy type courses too. Its also very interesting.

My question would be, as someone going into 6th year (which is horrifying. It was always something hovering off in the distance, I never thought I'd be actually be a sixth year!) is dropping out of a teachers class and doing it yourself a bad idea? My chemistry teacher is very bad, she's always making mistakes, always late, always copying answers out of the book and all her tests are way too easy. We're horribly behind in the course. I'm being given the option to sit the class out with another girl and cover the course ourselves, but this would mean no experiments and obviously no teacher. The other advantage though that I see to this is my maths course is also very behind, and if I could get the chem course finished a bit early myself because its short, I could dedicate two of my 6 free chem slots a week to maths. Is this a bad idea?

I did Chemistry for a bit and found it pretty boring, so I swapped subjects. Soon afterwards, the chemistry teacher was replaced and everyone who stayed behind found the course with the new teacher to be really interesting and started doing much better, so I know how much a difference a bad teacher can make. Since I'm not that familiar with the course, I can't say how easy it would be do do it yourself but it is possible for all subjects, if you are determined enough (wanting to outperform your crappy teacher's class is a good motivator I found :rolleyes: ) There are also places you can take a subject outside of school depending on where you live, or you could get grinds. I'd look into those options before just trying to work it out yourself, but if you could work with the other girl that might also be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

njd2010 wrote: »
    Afterwards, since I thought Chemistry was compulsory for med as well (I'ms still not sure if it is for going into it the normal CAO way or not?),

Nope, see above post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

This might be a strange question, but does anyone know any way of blocking out noise when your trying to study?. I have no problem with Studying however at times the noise people make in my house distracts me and I find I can't concentrate? Any help?

This might be a strange question, but does anyone know any way of blocking out noise when your trying to study?. I have no problem with Studying however at times the noise people make in my house distracts me and I find I can't concentrate? Any help?

You can get ear plugs, I see people studying in the college library with them all the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

You can get ear plugs, I see people studying in the college library with them all the time :)

Good idea ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Instead of using dropbox you'd be better off using Google Docs for typing out your notes. All you need is a web browser to review and edit them.

I used Dropbox mainly to backup the files I was using for my Engineering project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

http://www.simplynoise.com/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

okay thanks for all the replies. I hated science for the Jc because of the teacher and shes doing chemistry and biology for Lc so I know I do bad with her all the time. Thing is Im working with Business now and I love it! I always got an A in all my Summer exams!

So I have to do chemisty .. okay.
    If I do Biology and get a good grade in Maths does that count as Physics & Biology therefore 2 science therefore Im eligble for Medecine?

Im interetsed in going to TCD so if I dont do Chemistry I do 6 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

yournerd wrote: »
    okay thanks for all the replies. I hated science for the Jc because of the teacher and shes doing chemistry and biology for Lc so I know I do bad with her all the time. Thing is Im working with Business now and I love it! I always got an A in all my Summer exams!

If I do Biology and get a good grade in Maths does that count as Physics & Biology therefore 2 science therefore Im eligble for Medecine?

Are you saying does maths count as physics?

Are you saying does maths count as physics?

Yes because I saw for some science courses

Biology, Chemistry or HC3 or higher in Maths.

HB3 + HC3 In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry or agricultural science
    If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present mathematics at OC3/HD3 or better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

HB3 + HC3 In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry or agricultural science
    If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present mathematics at OC3/HD3 or better

What that means is you must have:

HB3 in Physics and a HC3 in one of the others (except phys/chem)
    HC3 in Physics and a HB3 in one of the others (except phys/chem)
    HB3 in one of them (except Physics) and a HC3 in another (you can't count chemistry with phys/chem) AND Maths at OC3 or HD3.

So physics and other OR other, other and maths..

Someone else might explain a bit better.

Im interetsed in going to TCD so if I dont do Chemistry I do 6 years?

Read the table on page 2. It has all the entry requirements. Trinity do not do a 6 year course.
    All entry requirements here on page 2 :)

That link won't work initially because of boards censoring Med Entry, so when you open the new tab just change the stars in the URL to Med Entry without the space.

oh yeah get it now.. my mistake! sorry :L

If you want to be working in the Dail as a politician and that shizz what course would most be out ther?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

If you want to be working in the Dail as a politician and that shizz what course would most be out ther?

I don't think you actually need a degree I might be wrong though?

I'm sure something along the politics, economics, sociology, or law?

I don't think you actually need a degree I might be wrong though?

I'm sure something along the politics, economics, sociology, or law?

True :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

This is what i'm interested in too!. I think i'm going to do the BCL Law and Arts course in Maynooth where i'll study Law, Politics and Economics. Law is a great boost for anyone who wants to enter politics and I believe the combination of Politics and Economics would be a very good one for someone who wants to work in politics/international relations etc. Points were 450 last year I believe, they may drop down slightly as I believe there is less demand for Law degrees on the whole as the FE1 exams (to become a barrister I think) are extremely difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

That sounds like a very interesting course. Might be hand for me to know ye in a few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

There's some great advice in this thread :D.. Going into 6th year and still don't really know what I want to do. I'm thinking maybe business or something biology related. I'm really dreading when the CAO comes out :(

There's some great advice in this thread :D.. Going into 6th year and still don't really know what I want to do. I'm thinking maybe business or something biology related. I'm really dreading when the CAO comes out :(

Don't worry ! You have still a lot of time to think about your career ;) and remember that you can always go to college for certain degree but going to college and study e.g. english doesn't necessary mean that your future career will have something to do with english language ;) just pick a course that you think will be interesting and you be happy doing it for 3-4 years of your life ;) and than when you become more sure what you want to do in life you can follow that direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Check out the Politics courses in UL. My girlfriends planning on workining in politics and she said that UL has the best political programmes in the country!

How much study did you guys do from the start of the year? Is 3 hours including homework (I don't get much) too little? Obviously I'm going to up it as it gets closer but just for the first half of the year?

It depends on the person. Someone can do huge amount of work in 3 hrs and other can do nothing. For me 3 hours would be too little because my homework will take me about 2 to get done :( How long do you spend on your homework ?

In 5th I spent roughly 45min-1hr, tops, unless I had an English essay. My maths, physics, Irish and chemistry teachers don't give much homework, so I normally spent 2-2.30 hours in total studying/homework-ing. I tend to work reasonably quickly.

in 5th year I spend about 2 hours just on homework... if i wanted to study than i usually sit down to my homework at 5 p.m and I have it done until 7 or 7.30 and than i've studied... if i had a test or something than i tried to my homework much faster but it still took me soo much time..

Most people I knew were doing over 1.5hr homework, my subjects just aren't writing heavy, hence homework is short.

• Advertisement

well my english homework took me about 20-30 min do to.. I have a really strict teacher. Than accounting all of the calculations usually took about 30 min too... maths than home ec and often i had bits from other subjects too...

Advertisement