Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for future 6th years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

You have to get a HC3 in Chemistry for the 5 year courses in RCSI, UCD and UCC. You DON'T need to do chemistry for the 5 year course in Trinity or NUIG (any 2 science subjects will do), or the 6 year courses in any college (one science needed).

i actually emailed all these colleges and galway said for 5 year course only all 3 sciences are a defo yes. biology and chemistry second higest chance but without chemisty very unlikely to get 5 year course. trinity said similiar. just so any 4th years no that its ver advisable to do chemistry and at least one other science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

There's some great advice in this thread :D.. Going into 6th year and still don't really know what I want to do. I'm thinking maybe business or something biology related. I'm really dreading when the CAO comes out :(

i'm just after doing leaving started the year planning to do law, by christmas genetics, pres home ec and biology teaching, leaving medicine, if u new what u wanted to do you'd be the only one in history of 6th year. dont stress when your under pressure trust me you'll no exactly wat u want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

angela is accounting hard?

Im planning on spending 1h 30min - 2hours on homework & 1 hour study a night till Xmas & 2 hours after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

yournerd wrote: »
    angela is accounting hard?

Im planning on spending 1h 30min - 2hours on homework & 1 hour study a night till Xmas & 2 hours after that.

Well it depend on the person for me accounting is okey.
    If you like logic thinking, calculations etc. than you should be grand.
    There is only a bit of theory in LC exam and 95 % of the exam are calculations.
    There is no way of study this subject just practice the questions over and over again.

I did the 2 Accounting questions on paper 2 in the business exam for Jc and 1 balanced the other was out by a bit. Is it easy to do well in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

It is easy to get an A1 in it but you have to practice. I never got less than a C in a test even if I didn't get a topic. A lot of stuff you did in JC but for the LC is just more developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've a lot of friends doing accounting and whereas they don't find it hard, its so much work. They have metric tonnes of homework all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I did the 2 Accounting questions on paper 2 in the business exam for Jc and 1 balanced the other was out by a bit. Is it easy to do well in?

Their is a huge difference between accounting for JC and accounting for LC.
    On the accounting topic various different people will say various different thing about different subjects, it depends what you are good at. No subject at LC level is a walk in the park. Personally I think accounting is hard and takes a lot of time but more so effort. Accounting is like if you understand it, its no bother, you cant learn anything of its all understanding and practicing.

Accounting has the highest level of A1's in the leaving cert. Why? Most people will presume "because its easy". I think its because if you get it, you get it and if you don't you dont.

wel I am personally good at accounting. Im not bragging or anything but my teacher told me I would be able for it and I have experience of doing taxes at home. Its just I sometimes really want to do Medecine which needs Chemistry so if its on at the same time as Accounting Im picking Accounting which stops me from doing medecine. :/

wel I am personally good at accounting. Im not bragging or anything but my teacher told me I would be able for it and I have experience of doing taxes at home. Its just I sometimes really want to do Medecine which needs Chemistry so if its on at the same time as Accounting Im picking Accounting which stops me from doing medecine. :/

Well if your good at it then its a good break from all the theory you are going to be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

OP here, with another piece of advice I wish I'd had a few months ago.

Plan a 6th year holiday. Beg, borrow and steal to afford it if you have to. And book it for the week prior to August 17th.

Because for the love of God, the suspense and nerves of the past 2 weeks have been something else... Worse than leading up to the exams, because there isn't anything to do about it. Too late to study now. Just have to sit here, wondering, waiting... a trip to one of those european places with the warm weather and cheap booze and easy women that every other person in my year went on would hit the spot right about now.

Alas, here I sit, playing Minecraft hours a day to distract myself. Good God, what a waste of a summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

njd2010 wrote: »
    OP here, with another piece of advice I wish I'd had a few months ago.

Plan a 6th year holiday. Beg, borrow and steal to afford it if you have to. And book it for the week prior to August 17th.

Because for the love of God, the suspense and nerves of the past 2 weeks have been something else... Worse than leading up to the exams, because there isn't anything to do about it. Too late to study now. Just have to sit here, wondering, waiting... a trip to one of those european places with the warm weather and cheap booze and easy women that every other person in my year went on would hit the spot right about now.

Alas, here I sit, playing Minecraft hours a day to distract myself. Good God, what a waste of a summer.

This right here, this is the best advice I've ever heard anyone give.

ya thats what I think everyone should do as a reward :) I went to russia for 2 months after my JC :L

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Great piece of advice:)! I would also advice serious organisation!! Keep up to date on homework, not only to allow more time for study, but it takes stress off your shoulders! Nothing worse than letting the homework pile up and maybe having 3 english essays to do on a Sunday evening on top of everything else. And not trying to sound all OCD or anything but keep things in seperate folders that way notes are easily accessible during the year:)
    Don't become too reliant on the past papers. They are great for outlining the exam and everything but definitely don't fall into the trap of "It came up last year so it cant possibly come up again this year". Some exams this year (especially Geography and History) were very suprising papers!
    Oh and anyone who needs additional help for Gaeilge H.L you should head to the half term revision course in Colaiste Sheoisamh in February! It was fantastic help for the Oral especially:) I know the course is different this year but I imagine they'll still do pretty much the same thing:) It's quite expensive, 350 euro for I think it was 4 days, but the notes you get are amazing and it was well worth the money as it gave extra confidence for the Oral which is only about 4 weeks after the course:)
    Hope this helped too for anyone:) And keep a clear head next year but remember not to kill yourself over the whole thing, still enjoy your weekends and everything:) X

Yes helpful again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

Little piece of advise for future 5th and 6th years.. Be smart with your subject choice!

I done all practicals, Construction, Music, Engineering and DCG, you will have 50% in every one of them before you sit an exam, trust me that can mean a lot of easy points!

I knew that I wanted to do primary teaching so i didnt have to worry about subject entry requirements however... Keep in mind what you want to do in college/life! I dont think they stress how subject choice can be really important when your making the choice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Just got my results and I done very little study, I'm sure its been mentioned many times in the thread but seriously, STUDY from day one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Do a bit every night.

Learn key words not paragraphs.

Watcha get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Study at the beginning of the year do not leave it late try not to procrastinate.

• Advertisement

Watcha get :)

480 if anyone is interested :) over the moon, considering I only did 5 honours subjects and was expecting around 430!

well done :)

Another tip- get all the documents for the Grant application ready and sent off as soon as possible- especially if, like me, you will be needing that grant money for food and books other boring stuff!

fearbainne wrote: »
    I done all practicals, Construction, Music, Engineering and DCG, you will have 50% in every one of them before you sit an exam, trust me that can mean a lot of easy points!

There is no such thing as easy points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Honours maths requires at least 45 mins-1 hour of homework/study per night if you want to get on well. :)

padocon wrote: »
    There is no such thing as easy points.

Of course there is.

Anyway just wanted to add something new: When you are finished 6th year, I strongly recommend keeping any notes for subjects you might be keeping on in college- especially French and German. I gave away my big folder of German notes once I was done the LC (Didn't want to see them EVER again!) but regretted it once I started doing German in uni.

Languages are much harder in college than in secondary school (or at least that's my experience of it) so you might just regret chucking away all your carefully organised notes in a few months! I'm doing Law so none of my other notes would've been relevant anyway but I have friends doing other courses who regret burning their chemistry, biology etc notes. Keep it in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Thanks a lot for the tips, especially how get rid of the computer distraction which has wasted most of my time all through 3rd year. I hope it won't happen this year.

Just wanted to say I'm still answering messages from people about this post, feel free to keep them coming!

njd2010 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say I'm still answering messages from people about this post, feel free to keep them coming!

which kind of subjects are easiest to do for me outside school? id be getting a grind id say about once to twice a month.

id either be doing business, economics, French (most likely O.L) or geography outside school). I have a good interest in both business subjects. im ok at French; only got C in HL in jc and the French teachers aren't the best in my school so do you think id be able to manage OL outside school?

re. time- im will be doing OL Irish but HL maths. am I taking on too much by doing 8 subjects?
    what I want to do in uni, I dont know but have a fair idea and it will require points in the 400's

thanks in advance; btw im in Ty now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

which kind of subjects are easiest to do for me outside school? id be getting a grind id say about once to twice a month.

id either be doing business, economics, French (most likely O.L) or geography outside school). I have a good interest in both business subjects. im ok at French; only got C in HL in jc and the French teachers aren't the best in my school so do you think id be able to manage OL outside school?

re. time- im will be doing OL Irish but HL maths. am I taking on too much by doing 8 subjects?
    what I want to do in uni, I dont know but have a fair idea and it will require points in the 400's

thanks in advance; btw im in Ty now
    I wouldn't recommend 8 subjects because you are putting way too much pressure on yourself so I'd stick with 7 at the most.

Advertisement