Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First UPC bill :(

Options
  • 26-07-2011 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I availed of the offer of broadband, phone and TV in a bundle for €60 per month, order online free connection and first two months half price.

It has been installed 12 days now. I have today received a bill for €116. Can anyone figure this out. I'm getting nowhere with them on the phone.

My reckoning on it is €60 per month equates to €720 per year or €1.97 per day. This amounts to €76.83 for the 39 day billing period on the bill. (up to the 20th of next month). Half of that is €38.42.

They are charging me full monthly price in addition to TWO Activation Fees (one of which is credited).

Anyone else have any experience of them and their mythical mathematics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Have you been going over your data usage limit maybe? we got a big bill when we did that. And I know another girl who didn't put a password on her wireless and had her entire limit used up twice over.

Keep at them anyway, I've read before that they can forget to apply the welcome bonus's so its worth keeping at them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

gunterwest wrote: »
    I availed of the offer of broadband, phone and TV in a bundle for €60 per month, order online free connection and first two months half price.

It has been installed 12 days now. I have today received a bill for €116. Can anyone figure this out. I'm getting nowhere with them on the phone.

My reckoning on it is €60 per month equates to €720 per year or €1.97 per day. This amounts to €76.83 for the 39 day billing period on the bill. (up to the 20th of next month). Half of that is €38.42.

They are charging me full monthly price in addition to TWO Activation Fees (one of which is credited).

Anyone else have any experience of them and their mythical mathematics?

Is it cancelling the other one out?

What is the billing period on the bill you received?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gunterwest

Misticles wrote: »
    Is it cancelling the other one out?

What is the billing period on the bill you received?

I'm being charged two "Equipment Activation Fees" @ €40 each. One of which is credited. The other is charged.

The billing period on the bill is 39 days.

I'm definitely not going over the download limit and haven't even plugged in a phone into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So €60 for 31 days
    €40 for installation
    and €16 for 8 days
    Total €116.00

Sounds exactly correct to me........

Edit: Or is the €60 supposed to be €30?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You weren't charged an activation fee then, if I'm reading your posts correctly.

€40 activation: charged
    €40 activation: credited

is that right?

It comes up as a charge, and then its credited back to you so you didnt pay anything for activation.

Sounds like you went over on the usage. Check your itemised bill.

• Advertisement

You weren't charged an activation fee then, if I'm reading your posts correctly.

is that right?

It comes up as a charge, and then its credited back to you so you didnt pay anything for activation.

Sounds like you went over on the usage. Check your itemised bill.

Therefore one still charged.

100% didn't go over on usage.

So €60 for 31 days
    €40 for installation
    and €16 for 8 days
    Total €116.00

The €60 is supposed to be €30 for the first two months. And Installation free when ordered online which it was.

So €60 for 31 days
    €40 for installation
    and €16 for 8 days
    Total €116.00

OP, I think I see the problem. You should by my reckoning been charged €78.00. Unless they are billing for the entire discounted period up front.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your first UPC bill is always more expensive in general. Its awkward to explain but I had same problem and eventually it was explained and made sense!

OP, I think I see the problem. You should by my reckoning been charged €78.00. Unless they are billing for the entire discounted period up front.

I understand that it is a longer period than one month i.e. from installation date to billing date + billing date to next billing date. which equates to 39 days as per the billing period on the bill which is up to 20th Aug. When I first looked at it I thought as you did, they charged the first two months in one go, but that doesn't stack up with the billing period.

I'm just thinking they are a shower of gangsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Surely if the first 2 months were half price and the installation was supposed to be free, then his bill should be ~€38?

L'prof wrote: »
    Surely if the first 2 months were half price and the installation was supposed to be free, then his bill should be ~€38?

Exactly. Gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Is it because you are paying from activation to bil and then you pay 1 month in advance?

Actually that doesn't seem to add up either.

L'prof wrote: »

You'd need to see the bill, but if they gave an installation free they still charged another one. They installed three things, though I think the phone and BB would be billed as one, which leaves TV.

Actually on the website it says "we will connect you for free", so there is an installation charge but they refunded the connection charge. Semantics, I know.

Semantics, I know.

It's the sneakiness of the whole thing that gets me. Free connection is free connection Half price for first two months is exactly that. I'm very tempted to pull the whole lot out and send it back and pay for the 8 days usage only on a pro rata basis.

I have no problem paying what I owe but the fraudulent advertising employed here is ridiculous.

What a way to treat a new customer. We really had it easy with Sky!

Ok, after a morning of badgering on the phone for your information:

UPC have credited me the second activation fee of €40 bringing the first 39 days bill back to €76.01.

The first two months half price apparently does not apply for the first month. It applies for the second and third months so if anyone is getting UPC in be warned....they don't mention this anywhere on their website / terms & conditions / order confirmation....no where!

I've agreed to this, but warned them that if anything is presented for Direct Debit comes out of the bank other than exactly what was agreed, I'd cancel the service immediately.

Just so you know what your dealing with.
    Thanks for all the opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

This always seem to happen when you change providers, you think your getting a cheaper package and then your first bill is nearly double what you used to pay! but then you get deeper and it appears the company's reasoning is right billed for month and 1/2 plus deposit and month in advance. Not saying that's what the OP problem is, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

gunterwest wrote: »
    It's the sneakiness of the whole thing that gets me. Free connection is free connection Half price for first two months is exactly that. I'm very tempted to pull the whole lot out and send it back and pay for the 8 days usage only on a pro rata basis.

I have no problem paying what I owe but the fraudulent advertising employed here is ridiculous.

What a way to treat a new customer. We really had it easy with Sky!

I don't think their being 'sneaky' i just think that cannot to their fupping job, had the exact same issue with UPC her in the Netherlands, some random crazy charging scheme that looked like it had been calculated by a 5 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its pro rata billing? the month you're currently using plus the upcoming month, always the way on any monthly billed service, you dont pay for your tv the month after you watch it you pay for it the month before, same as phones

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

What is the activation fee exactly, I have this on my bill also. I do not recall any mention of this when I ordered the bundle. I did a self install and got charged a tenner for it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A technician has to come out and activate your connection outside your house from what I recall. He doesn't let you know he is there IIRC.

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    What is the activation fee exactly, I have this on my bill also. I do not recall any mention of this when I ordered the bundle. I did a self install and got charged a tenner for it!

If you ordered online its free. I argued and got it free. I think if you dont order online you haven't a leg to stand on. But even for a tenner I wouldn't let them away with it. They are just chancing their arms. I'll pay anyone exactly what I owe them, but wont be taken for a mug for even a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As its a credit agreement I think you have 14 days to cancel. After that it may be alot harder, no matter what you told the untraceable call center employee.

Advertisement