Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which HDD is quicker?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Comparison here.

I already own the one on the right and have ordered the one on the left. Although the new one has a 32MB buffer it seems to have a much higher seek time.

Which one should I use as my OS drive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Use the 500Gig one. The seek time is so much higher simply because it's double the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Leman wrote: »
    Use the 500Gig one. The seek time is so much higher simply because it's double the size.

Right, so the 32MB buffer over the 16MB buffer won't make that much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

quarryman wrote: »
    Right, so the 32MB buffer over the 16MB buffer won't make that much of a difference?
    The reason for 500GB HDD not having a 32MB buffer is because when there is a sudden power failure, there wouldn't be enough time (before the paltters slow down /stop spinning) to flush the 32MB buffer to disk. The 500GB drive has a single 500GB platter while the 1TB drive has two, along with an extra read/write head so it would be able to flush the contents of the larger buffer safely.

AFAIK, the performance benefit of the larger buffer is immesurable.

Advertisement