Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor Hood - looking for advice

• 26-07-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

We replaced our kitchen a number of years back, at the time we had an extractor hood which was vented externally, the hose ran along the top of some kitchen units.
    When we replaced the kitchen the installer put in a carbon filtered extractor, which is meant to filter and internally recirculate the air.
    We should have dealt with it at the time but unfortunately we let it go.
    A couple of years later we built an extension, which meant the old vent is now closed off anyway, again, we should have got the builder to create a new external vent to replace the one he blocked but didn't think about it at the time.

My problem is how should I go about fixing this issue, the kitchen walls are constantly wet when cooking, it's really bad in winter. I was going to paint the kitchen recently but really no point until I resolve the extraction issue.

Should I replace the hood, with some kind of hood and cover so that I can hide the hose and run it along the top of the units? Then blow out a new vent in the wall?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    I've attached two pics to give an idea of the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You'll need to have it vented to the outside to stop the condensation you are getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

filters need to be changed every few months,is the hood on an external wall?i am guessing not?if so what should have be done is a shelf put between the wall units each side of the hood with cornice on top,this enables you to run a flexi pipe from the hood(hole would need to be cut out of side of chimney pipe) on top of the units to the nearest external wall without it being visible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

have a look at the extractor fan from the kitchen in this link
    http://www.tpwalshauctioneers.ie/property-details/property-300/type-0/page-2/26_MacOisin_Place,Dromod,Co.Leitrim
    get a piece of wood made up like this and duct out across the top of press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement