Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy to pay more for an ensuite?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have a 4 bed property and am renting out each of the rooms. I'm lucky that it's in a good location, but even still, the competition is fierce.

The rent charged, is a lot cheaper than similar properties in the area... I'd rather have less rent and happier tenants.

There's a double room that's free at the moment. I'm wondering, would it be worth it to install an ensuite, and charge a bit more on the rent?

At the moment, it's available for 300pm, the average is 350.

I guess, my question is, would you rather pay 300 for no ensuite, or 350 for an ensuite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

bacon? wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a 4 bed property and am renting out each of the rooms. I'm lucky that it's in a good location, but even still, the competition is fierce.

The rent charged, is a lot cheaper than similar properties in the area... I'd rather have less rent and happier tenants.

There's a double room that's free at the moment. I'm wondering, would it be worth it to install an ensuite, and charge a bit more on the rent?

At the moment, it's available for 300pm, the average is 350.

I guess, my question is, would you rather pay 300 for no ensuite, or 350 for an ensuite?

I would imagine many people would pay an extra €50 for an ensuite. Theres quite a few girls I know that would not rent a room without one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

An ensuite room should cost a bit more. If the tenants talked to each other about the rent they are paying, the tenants without an ensuite could ask for a rent reduction because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Dermo wrote: »
    An ensuite room should cost a bit more. If the tenants talked to each other about the rent they are paying, the tenants without an ensuite could ask for a rent reduction because of it.

That's a good point, cheers.

What do you think is a fair increase from 300? 375?

I would also give the current tenants first preferance... one is a girl, so ye, I guess girls would be more in the market for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

but surely you have to make the room (or another room) smaller to fit the ensuite? So it might get you an exptra 75 per month but lose 25 or so due to a smaller room...

but surely you have to make the room (or another room) smaller to fit the ensuite? So it might get you an exptra 75 per month but lose 25 or so due to a smaller room...

One of the doubles is pretty large, so it would still be a double, even with an ensuite, but thanks for the feedback, will keep it in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Having an ensuite will increase your maintenance costs. Bathrooms are always giving trouble.. So in the long run, its not worth your time to get the ensuite

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Personally I don't like ensuites. Like to keep all that toilet business far from where I sleep (and I'm a girl). But I would guess for those who like ensuites they would pay a bit extra.

Good points, I was thinking about the maintanence cost alright.

My sister reckons I would be better off painting the house, and maybe getting a new kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If the house could honestly (and be honest with yourself) use a new kitchen and coat of paint, do that instead, it benefits everyone and a modern house can command a bit more rent.

In saying that, I loved having an en-suite when I was in college and was happy to pay the extra rent for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 curlywurly26

Personally I would pay the extra for an ensuite, but if it's not going to be cost effective for you then why bother?
    How long would those extra €50's take before they cover your costs of putting it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I'd deffo pay a little bit extra

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thers nothing worse than a room that has been purposefully downsized to put in something that wasnt meant to be there.

Be very very sure that is fits in the space if you are going to do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to concur with the comments here- you are going to charge extra for a nice sized double room anyway- reducing the size of the room to squeeze an en-suite in, really is a non-runner in my opinion. If the room is such that it is still a spacious room- after you install a reasonable en-suite, perhaps it might be an idea- but if you're encroaching on what people would consider to be a reasonable size for the room, as a double room- it becomes a minus rather than a plus.

Ps- just because you can put a double bed in a bedroom- does not make the bedroom a double bedroom..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Thomas1981

yeah would defo be happy to pay more for an ensuite, they are so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

They are worth more. If it can be done without ruining a room, it is better also for other tennents as less competition for bathroom. Consideration though must be afforded to the motor which on electrics can be noisy and annoy a sleeping neighbour. I remember a 5.45 start every morning in one place I was in. Ten minutes alarm clock.

Right now I'd say if you are secure in your job, think of the money spent as an upgrade to your house in any case.

Personally I would pay the extra for an ensuite, but if it's not going to be cost effective for you then why bother?
    How long would those extra €50's take before they cover your costs of putting it in?

Well, I'd say it would be more like 75... but, I reckon about 3 years or so, maybe 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Have you considered just adding a sink to the room?
    I saw it done once and it was quite useful for brushing teeth etc. It would be very cheap to put in, not take up much room and help reduce peak demand for the bathroom.

Advertisement