Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses to the races

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not living in Galway that long and my first time going to the races. I'm in the Wellpark/Mervue area and was wondering about buses getting out there. I heard there are buses going from town. Do they do pickups along the way too? How long should I give myself to get out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, if you're going Thursday to Saturday you might as well walk it.
    Quicker than the bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Some info on the buses;
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=978&month=Jul

I don't think they pick up along the way though. I have never been out to the races though so wouldn't know - some day! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭squonk

thanks lads! Was going to go this evening. I'll hang around town Thursday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All the info about buses to the Galway Races: http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.com/2011/07/bus-services-for-galway-races-2011.html

The shuttle buses don't pick up or drop off anywhere (good question though - I never thought to put that in the original post).

But the number 9 and number 3 do.

During the peak-racing-traffic time when the number 9 ends at Doughiska, you could get either the 9 or 3 to the Clayton Hotel and walk from there. Will take you probably 15 minutes.

At other times (eg earlier), the 9 takes you to the back / Avenue entrance to the racecourse.

And for anything else you need to know about public transport, check GalwayTransport.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Went up yesterday and caught bus from square. Caught the three. Three and nine take normal route stopping on the way. Get off at the Clayton and walk around. Takes about ten minutes to get up to the tunnel entrance of the track. The shuttle buses have to stop outside tunnel as well. Fare on normal bus is 1.60 each way but shuttle is 6.00 one way and 9.00 return. Big difference for a short walk !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

Dont get the bus from eyre square, huge queues and even bigger when leaving, we estimated about 2000 plus ahead of us waiting for bus last year on thurs. mental like.
    I'll be lookin ginto the number 3 and 9 buses. but ive a feeling they will be wedged aswel..

Advertisement