Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attempting a reseach based phd with two kids under 2... wasting my time?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    ive had my research Idea approved by a potential supervisor for the past 18months or so but she asked me to continue reading instead of registering as I would be reading for the first couple of years anyway (doing it part time) and why should i pay fees to do this? Thought it was good honest advice..
    However, since then ive had 2 kids and to get a spare second never mind a few hours a week is proving almost impossible. I am toying (?) with the idea of just putting it to the side and even forgetting about it altogether, but deep down its a really interesting topic and very current. I think I may belooking for advice and possibly inspiration.... can anyone help?
    all advice appreciated
    thanks in advance... have to go as I can hear one of the babies crying as I type... :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I don't think you need abandon the idea altogether. I think your approach thus far has been a good one – read up on the area as and when time allows and become as well versed as possible with the current state of affairs in your chosen topic. This will provide you with a solid foundation for when you are eventually in a position to commence your research on a part-time basis at least. The bottom line is, if it’s something you really want to do, then you shouldn’t give up on it. Most supervisors will be sympathetic to parents’ situations (as they’ll often have kids themselves – academia generally allows for more flexibility than most careers), so I’m sure you will be able to reach some level of understanding with regard to a work schedule.

Advertisement