Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panelling Walls

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hiya,

I am looking for advice on on finishing wall paneling to architrave that is shallower than the paneling? Architrave is already fitted and I want to do proper paneling rather than just creating the effect with beading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

Im not really with you. When you say panelling what do you mean. Melamine boards, wood panelling or plasterboard?

You can get hockey sticks to add to the side of your architrave. It adds about 14mm depth and 10mm width.

Can you take a pic and post it up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Not too sure I understand either. It would seem odd to have mouldings set lower (or recessed) than the timber wall panels. Is this what you want to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I think he wants the panelling to protrude from the wall, .. and the border around the panelling to protrude out even further,.. and then the door architrave should maybe protrude out even further than the panelling borders.

But the door architrave isn't deep enough for that. And no door architrave would usually be deep enough for the panelling and border to be further back on the wall than the architrave... so perhaps the panelling and panelling border does protrude out further than the architrave when 'normally' done.

I think Google Image Search is the way forward.. look at other panelling and see exactly how it's finished up to door architraves.

I'm guessing the panelling is to be about a meter high?

Edited to add:
    Is it a wainscotting type thing you're after?

Type 'wainscotting' into google, accept a spelling change if suggested, then click 'Images' on left.. then see 100's of similar installations.

I think the panelling will protrude out further than the architrave... if it doesn't then the architrave will be very deep above the panelling, (if the panelling is only a meter high or so)
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

you can double up the architrave which was what was traditionally done. this usually involved putting on say a 5" arc first and then a 3" planted on the face. this would raise it out deep enough to finish past the surround stiles of the panelling. As another poster suggested you could use hockey stick to gain the extra depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

1chippy is spot on there, in the past a quirk bead architrave 3-4" wide would have been put on first, the walls were then plastered flush with this and a final moulded architrave is then fixed, which overlaps and covers the plaster joint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

YOU said you didnt want to do anythin with the ark so i would just stop the paneling and return your capping to the floor at either side of the door.
    you could also got some 15-18 mdf cut it into 30 40 or 50mm rips depending on what deep your paneling is and put a chamfer on in it and nail it around the ark so when its all calked and painted it will look as one

ive seen both done and it looks well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

As Paul C mentioned hockey stick molding over the architrave is the usual way to go.
    8319Hockey.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

hockey stick molding ye thats what its called

maybe try and do a better joint doe as that joint will let a job down

Advertisement