Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2011

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey all

I'm going to the irish open in killarney this week, it's my first time to go to a major golf event and i was just wondering if anyone had any nuggets of wisdom they'd like to pass on. Only going for the one day so i want to make the most of it.

Cheers

Panch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Wear your rain gear and your golf shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Wear golf shoes. Seriously, if its raining your feet will be soaked otherwise.

I was at the Friday of the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor, bringing my golf shoes was the best idea i ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Hey all

I'm going to the irish open in killarney this week, it's my first time to go to a major golf event and i was just wondering if anyone had any nuggets of wisdom they'd like to pass on. Only going for the one day so i want to make the most of it.

Cheers

Panch

Don't eat yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭big_drive

Rumour is that enda Kenny is playing in the pro am with McIlroy tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

If the weather is good wear shorts & trainers (not golf shoes). I find walking around in golf shoes for say 6-8 hrs can be hard work (when you are literally walking/climbing all over the place).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Still no tee times. Quite late.

If Kenny is playing with Rory it will be a bit of a downer for the amatuer that won to play with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Leslie91 wrote: »
    If the weather is good wear shorts & trainers .

:mad:the OP has a serious question, there is no need to be taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

AGC wrote: »
    Still no tee times. Quite late.

If Kenny is playing with Rory it will be a bit of a downer for the amatuer that won to play with him!!

Maybe it was Enda that won ;)

Riskymove wrote: »
    :mad:the OP has a serious question, there is no need to be taking the piss

I'm pretty sure that wasn't taking the piss.

Wear comfortable footwear unless its pissing rain. Only an idiot would wear golf shoes to watch golf on a dry course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Opics wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't taking the piss.

Wear comfortable footwear unless its pissing rain. Only an idiot would wear golf shoes to watch golf on a dry course :D

And how could you be sure that it wont start raining in this lovely climate that we have in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Any truth to the rumour this is now sold out? Was hoping to pay at the gate, anyone know if you can still do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour this is now sold out? Was hoping to pay at the gate, anyone know if you can still do this?

Absolutely no problem getting them on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Agree on the golf shoes and raid gear unless it is guaranteed to be dry.

Avoid the stands. All you see is a bunch of guys hitting the same type of shot to one green. Have a list of the tee times with you and that will allow you to pick up a group you want to watch - you can ditch them any time you want if there is not much happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Panchorres10

thanks for all the tips folks, will take em on board. def bring the comfy runners for the sunshine, fingers crossed. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

big_drive wrote: »
    Rumour is that enda Kenny is playing in the pro am with McIlroy tomorrow

Just back form the pro am. great day out . Not a huge crowd so we were able to get up close most of the time. Darren was very affable chatted and signed all day. To be fair most of them did. It was very relaxed. Enda did well , very imtimidating to be an amateur out in that field ! Rorys dad played too , an excellent hitter.
    Everything was well organised, parking etc all went fine. burgers as usual € 5 :)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Going in the morning and will stay over and attend on friday also.
    Will bring the runners and the golf shoes... the shorts and the wet gear... the umbrella and the sun cream... ireland :rolleyes:
    If I remember from last year, the beer & food out and about the course wasn't great but such is life... didn't go near the tented village thing and maybe it's better in there.

You will be better off checking out some of the golf from quieter groupings - if you're trying to watch some of the bigger named Irish players up close then you won't get to see all that much in the scrum whereas you could follow around other groups and see some golf up close and personal... you can do both but IMO I wouldn't wast much time trying to watch the 'names'.
    I also prefer to see a round of golf rather than see multiple players play a single hole so grandstand type viewing is not for me. However, there may be merit to finding a spot overlooking the 2nd green with the lake and mountains as a backdrop and lying out there for the day in the glorious sunshine... your choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Not sure anyone picked up on it but in his after round interview this morning Graeme Storme kept saying that the rough was "penile"!!!!! I can only presume he meant 'penal' ... Unless he actually thought the rough was eh, prick-ly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

i m looking at heading over tomorrow. what was the setup like this morning with regard to buying tickets and getting into the course? harringtons group and clarkes group are out around 8 tomorrow morning, how early would you want to be queuing to get in for that? cheers

n32 wrote: »
    i m looking at heading over tomorrow. what was the setup like this morning with regard to buying tickets and getting into the course? harringtons group and clarkes group are out around 8 tomorrow morning, how early would you want to be queuing to get in for that? cheers

What queues? :pac:

Edit: I would recommend before 8 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

What time would the Grandstand's start filling up at on the Sunday morning?What time would we need to be there at?Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Aiel wrote: »
    What time would the Grandstand's start filling up at on the Sunday morning?What time would we need to be there at?Any advice appreciated.

There's only two grandstands, at the 1st and 18th. If you're there by 2 you'll be fine, they probably won't start filling up until then

Advertisement