Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showering a Toddler

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My little girl is heading on 16 months now. All along she always had a bath, but we're heading on hols in a few weeks to the seaside, and there isn't a bath where we'll be staying... So anyhow, I decided to try her in the shower last night. Stripped off both of us, and when I turned on the shower she got a bit upset, then with her in my arms, I stepped into the bath, and she went into hysterics! I mean really upset, couldn't even look at the shower! Now this kid is up for anything usualy. She would be wary of the hoover, but not bothered by means.
    I thought my stepping in as well would be the best introduction, and I showed her that I didn't mind going under the spray, and also wet the sponge and was sponging her down away from the spray.
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get her accustomed. I would like to have the option of showering her while we're away and perhaps on the od occasion at home when say the immersion hadn't been on for the bath etc.
    Any tips??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

Hi Fi1979,

My daughter doesn't like the water being poured over her face although she loves her baths!! I haven't tried her in the shower yet..:eek:

This is just a thought, if you still have her baby bath(or borrow one) perhaps you could bring it with you on your hols and sit it in the shower tray and fill it up from the shower hose???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I shower my 8 month old after our swims, she was a bit wary at first but is used to it by now.

If you have a removable shower (I mean one with a lead that isn't just fixed to the wall at the head) then maybe you could sit her on your lap and show her how it works, splashing her hands with it at first, then her feet etc. Let her hold it too, spray into the bath/shower tray. Or if she has a dolly you could wash that? If she understands that the water spray won't hurt her she could be more likely to give it a try !

It might be a bit wet all over the place at first but will be worth it long term of you know she will shower for you without too much of a fuss! Hope it works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I got my lad used to it by having him in the room with me while I had a shower - he'd just play with his toys on the floor and could see what I was doing. Once he was no longer bothered by the noise, I got a set of shower/bath toys to stick on the wall, left the shower door open with towels on the floor and let him come in of his own accord. I thought it would take a couple of tries, but the first time that I tried to get him in, he came in. I made sure to block the jet of water so he wasn't getting soaked, then once he was settled would quickly spray him to wet him (making sure it was a game), lather him up without the water going near him, and then rinse him off again quickly. In between, I'd give him the shower hose to let him wash his toys - he now brings cars, tractors, whatever, with him when I say we're going to have a shower. It's now no bother and much easier in the summer than having to have a full tank of hot water. Don't try carrying your daughter though, they get very slippy and react better if they have a bit of control (like getting them to wash their toys).

If it really doesn't work out, you can always use the kitchen sink or get a fold-up or inflatable bath. Amazon/Summer Infant have them from about €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My 6 month old loves the shower but the first few times I put him under back first so he got used to the sensation then the back of his head, both of which he loved and giggled at, then I turned him around. I'd say he still prefers the water on his back than front though.

Consider it from your daughters perspective; she's being put under a huge waterfall. She doesn't know it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's a blow up bath in Tesco, I think its about €17, or some of the little summer pools would do to for about 4.99!

My little one likes the shower but I don't have an electric one and I wouldn't trust the water to stay the same tempeture, If you flush the toilet in my house you get boiled in the shower.

If you could cover the plug hole you'd wash her in the shower tray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi everyone, thanks for your thoughts. I mentioned it to the child minder today, and she said she doesn't shower her 4 year old yet :eek: and seemed quite surprised that I was even thinking of it. Its a walk in shower where we're going, so as was suggested if she's in the room when I am showering she may investigate. I realise they can be quite noisy, and to a child anything that loud must seem scary! Cheers everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fi1979 wrote: »
    I mentioned it to the child minder today, and she said she doesn't shower her 4 year old yet :eek: and seemed quite surprised that I was even thinking of it.

I'm surprised by the fact that she's both surprised at the thoughts of showering a toddler, and that she doesn't give her 4 year old showers. Our 14 month old has the occasional shower with us when we're time pressed and she's fine with it. Like another poster here she's probably just used to is since we brought her swimming when she was younger and she had a quick shower afterwards.

As has been said just let her stay outside the shower when you're in there and she'll probably eventually want to get in herself. Ours just loves to get into the shower unit all the time now, I think she just enjoys opening and closing the doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

is there a sink in the holiday place? cos if its big enough you could wash her in there.
    my 20 monthe old is terrified of the shower. im not going to push it until shes ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

All mine love the shower. . i think it's just a matter of getting used to it.. we've an electric one and ben was fine in it for ages then the noise of the shower started to upset him.. but then so did the hoover.. i just jollied him along in it and eventually he settled down again. . if you have a spray in the bath you can play games with her and once or twice bring her in the shower she might just start to like it..
    Sometimes a kitchen sink can be just the right size at that age.. it's another place all mine got washed.. :D i could get on with dinner and bath the baby ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Ive just had to shower my 3 months old due to a dirty nappy incident:eek:! Well I sat her in here bath support in the big bath and gentley showered her. She didnt seem to mind it but its not a noisy shower either. As the others suggested maybe introduce her slowly to the idea and maybe shower her a little (her feet maybe first) at the end of her bath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Just an update on this, when she was having her bath last night, i put a shower hose onto the taps, which is pretty much silent. Once she reaslied what was happening, she did start to freak out, but not quite quite as bad as with the power shower.
    My next thing is to let her into the bathroom when I am showering so she can get more used to the noise. I have also bought a cheap paddling pool in case we're stuck!;)
    9 working days now till the hols, can't wait!

Advertisement