Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping at Cavan Fleadh

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

What are the campsites like at the cavan fleadh? I know there are two weekend campsite - the Equestrian centre and the Terrycoyle Gaa Pitch (which is the family campsite for the weekend).

There are four of us camping and as yet we do not have a car or campervan - we only have tents.... is this risky or are the campsites safe?
    We are going from thursday to tuesday.

What are the facilities like? Which is the safer campsite?

Any information at all much appreciated :):)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The Mary Clarke

Have you tried the Fleadh Facebook page? There is usually some good information on there. I know some of the Fleadh organizers if I get any info I will post it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

laoiserick wrote: »
    What are the facilities like? Which is the safer campsite?

if last year is anything to go by, they had security at the camp sites.
    You'd do well to contact them though.

http://www.fleadh2011cavan.ie/Default.aspx?StructureID_str=31

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

OP, when you say there are four of you, am I right in assuming you are a family of four (ie. two parents and two children) as opposed to four adults? If so, Terry Coyle Park is probably the better option because it is a smaller camp site and it is also closer to town. If you are arriving on the Thursday you might want to check to make sure it will be open for campers.

I volunteered as a steward at the Equestrian Centre last year and I wouldnt say its not safe but it is a very big area and there will be plenty of people there drinking so may not be the best place to have young children. Having said that, it does have better facilities and has a cafe on site as well. There will be Gardai, professional security staff and stewards on the site at all times so it is not exactly dangerous anyway.

My advice is; if you have children under 16 go for Terry Coyle Park, otherwise the Equestrian Centre is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

firstly do ye mean the thursday pre-fleadh or thursday of the fleadh till tues after fleadh?? confused!!!

if yiz arent a family with wee kids, then feel free to pitch tent at back of my gaff, its big enough, id say therell be a few lads and lassies campin here this year... im about 3 mile from town, tons of taxis, ill not charge as long as yiz can play and dont mind there being a few all nighter sesiuns in the garden and house... etc. also try the fleadh page on facebook..lots of houses for rent etc..

firstly do ye mean the thursday pre-fleadh or thursday of the fleadh till tues after fleadh?? confused!!!

if yiz arent a family with wee kids, then feel free to pitch tent at back of my gaff, its big enough, id say therell be a few lads and lassies campin here this year... im about 3 mile from town, tons of taxis, ill not charge as long as yiz can play and dont mind there being a few all nighter sesiuns in the garden and house... etc. also try the fleadh page on facebook..lots of houses for rent etc..

• Advertisement

twice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

The Equestrian Centre was perfectly safe last year. There was people drinking and coming and going all night (perhaps even more all night than you would have at Oxegen, as not everybody stayed in bed all day!) but as others have said the family campsite is better if you have young children.

Its possible it may attract a larger "drinking" crowd this year, with how well it went last year.

i was in town today for few pints to see was the fleadh startin... definitley a nice buzz around town, couple of mates playin tonight in the breifni inn, im saving myself (and dollars) till wednesday on... it really looks like its going to be a great fleadh, i hope it injects a dose of happiness to a lot people and the community! we could all do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Do people do a pub crawl for the Fleadh or what's the best approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great craic in all the pubs last year and there was absolutely no trouble on the streets. Great atmosphere and fine for families.

• Advertisement

Ye just take to the streets! If your just out for the pubs theres plenty in the town so just move at your own pace!

They are aiming to have a glass free event this year, so I wouldnt bring any bottles into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KellieeLikee

Hi me and 2 other friends are looking for somewhere to stay at the fleadh from friday till sunday but we cant afford the campsites can anyone suggest somewhere please ..

Hi me and 2 other friends are looking for somewhere to stay at the fleadh from friday till sunday but we cant afford the campsites can anyone suggest somewhere please ..

Unless flanum above can oblidge I dont know anywhere.

But I certainly wouldnt suggest trying to just "chance it" in the Official Camp sites. They do check for wristbands at the gates and at the campsite entrances, I spent enough time at them last year to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KellieeLikee

okay thank you for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Would the camping sites not be the cheapest option anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

One of the family sites is now full. There appears to be space at cavan rugby club family site

Prices for equestrain centre are as follows.

Weekend Camp Site - Cavan Equestrian Centre
    Opens Thurs 18th Aug 14.00hrs and closes at 13.00hrs on Tues 23rd Aug
    • Located at Cavan Equestrian Centre.
    • No individual power supplied

• Adm Thurs 18th - €50.00 per person camping
    • Adm Fri 19th - €40.00 per person camping
    • Adm Sat 20th - €30.00 per person camping
    • Adm Sun 21st - €20.00 per person camping
    • Adm Mon 22th - €10.00 per person camping
    Partial refund for shorter stays subject to conditions

This is well more expensie than a few years back when I took the family. It used to be 10 euro per night per tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This is well more expensie than a few years back when I took the family. It used to be 10 euro per night per tent.
    I know this is a bit late now, but the Equestrian Centre was €10 a night per person this year. If you arrived on Thursday you paid €50 (€10 for the five nights Thursday - Tuesday) for your wristband and if you left early you, on return of your wristband were reimbursed €10 for each night you did not stay. So if you only stayed one night you would be reimbursed €40, if you stayed three nights you were reimbursed €20, so you ended up paying €10 for each night you stayed. If you arrived on Saturday you paid €30 and again were reimbursed if you didnt stay until Tuesday.

This was to prevent people paying for one nights camping but staying all weekend.

This might be good for you to know for next year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭laoiserick

Just thought I'd update this thread - Cavan fleadh 2011 was absolutely unreal craic :D The equestrian center was a great place to stay aswell. Facilities were excellent. The campsite security was second to none. Shuttle buses going from the campsite to the town and back every fifteen minutes.... Really was an excellent set up.
    Definitely heading back there next year as I hear Cavan have the fleadh again for 2012 :D:D

Advertisement