Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curley's furniture. Sale items, not on sale?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I need a new wardrobe, i tried a google search where you can buy online but couldn't find anywhere except argos and littlewoods. But for anything decent, you need loads of money. So off i went shopping into town. Went and shopped around and alot of places didn't have a great selection. Im in galway and there's not alot of furniture shops either. So i went to Curley's furniture shop, where there was a sale.
    I saw a nice one, exactly what i was looking for. It was on sale at €265. It was originally €365. I haggled and knocked it down to €250.
    I thought it was a great bargin. But i did a google search of the exact wardrobe name and code and there is a shop in tipperary. There was no mention of a sale on the site. It was €235.
    Im being ripped off here. Or are shops allowed to have such a big difference in prices? Is there anything i can do? Im still waiting for them to deliver. I payed in full. Should i cancel it and get a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Shops are allowed to charge whatever price they want for goods. In order for it to be advertised as a sale price, they must have had it at the original advertised price for a set period of time (I don't know how long, maybe someone can clarify?).

The company is under no obligation to let you cancel your order just because you found it somewhere cheaper (I'm guessing they don't have a price-match guarantee).

If you were happy with the price you paid then there's no reason to be annoyed now just because it's cheaper in Tipperary. If you bought the wardrobe in Tipp you would probably have to pay a hefty delivery fee or drive a long way to collect it - is that worth the €15 difference to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I need a new wardrobe, i tried a google search where you can buy online but couldn't find anywhere except argos and littlewoods. But for anything decent, you need loads of money. So off i went shopping into town. Went and shopped around and alot of places didn't have a great selection. Im in galway and there's not alot of furniture shops either. So i went to Curley's furniture shop, where there was a sale.
    I saw a nice one, exactly what i was looking for. It was on sale at €265. It was originally €365. I haggled and knocked it down to €250.
    I thought it was a great bargin. But i did a google search of the exact wardrobe name and code and there is a shop in tipperary. There was no mention of a sale on the site. It was €235.

Best to shop around/price check before you order.
    Im being ripped off here.

No your not, Different store, different price.
    Or are shops allowed to have such a big difference in prices?

Yes, it's called Capitalism, The Free Market.
    Is there anything i can do? Im still waiting for them to deliver. I payed in full. Should i cancel it and get a refund?

They have no obligation to give you a refund, or even left you cancel the order, unless they have a sign up to give you a such a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I know there is price differences between shops. If they were selling at 365, thats €130 difference. Thats too much. Im wondering was there ever a sale in the first place. Just add on extra and make it look as if its on sale. Is there any way of finding out what the price was 3 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Or are shops allowed to have such a big difference in prices?
    I know there is price differences between shops. If they were selling at 365, thats €130 difference. Thats too much.

There's no such thing as "too much" of a price difference. It's completely up to you to find out the average or appropriate price of an item before you buy.

As I said above 1) You said you were delighted with the price when you bought it and 2) it's only €15 in difference between the prices. I could understand you being upset if you paid €365 for it (although you'd still have no legal reason to complain) but you got it for a good price anyway.

As for finding out what price the store had it at 3 months ago, I don't think you'll have any luck. You can ask the store how long it was at the previous price but I don't know if there's any way they can prove it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think you answered the question with your username

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So... you got a wardrobe in X shop for €250 and a wardrobe in Y shop miles and miles away was a different price.

So, you are saying, different shop has something at a different price...

Do you know that they can charge three times the price that they bought it for if they wanted?

Advertisement