Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found A Lost Pigeon

• 26-07-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi, yesterday I noticed out my back garden that there was a racing pigeon walking around. At first I didn't take any notice and thought that he would just fly away, but he didn't so I gave him some water and raw pop-corn seed's. He looked exhausted. Then last night he got a bit of energy and flew onto the top of the roof and then just flew off. I thought then that he would find his way back to his home. Until this afternoon, I noticed the same pigeon came back so I gave him breadcrumbs and water. I looked up online then what to do with a lost race pigeon and read that on the tag on their leg there should be a year in which the tag was issued, a single letter, an "S" "N" and a series of digit's. I went out and looked on his tag and it read, "S 037095" along with the number "11" which I presume stands for "2011".

I'd like to know what should I do now and is there a way of finding out who own's this pigeon through the information I found on the tag on his leg.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jason100

When did you pass the bird in and to what shelter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Hi, yesterday I noticed out my back garden that there was a racing pigeon walking around. At first I didn't take any notice and thought that he would just fly away, but he didn't so I gave him some water and raw pop-corn seed's. He looked exhausted. Then last night he got a bit of energy and flew onto the top of the roof and then just flew off. I thought then that he would find his way back to his home. Until this afternoon, I noticed the same pigeon came back so I gave him breadcrumbs and water. I looked up online then what to do with a lost race pigeon and read that on the tag on their leg there should be a year in which the tag was issued, a single letter, an "S" "N" and a series of digit's. I went out and looked on his tag and it read, "S 037095" along with the number "11" which I presume stands for "2011".

I'd like to know what should I do now and is there a way of finding out who own's this pigeon through the information I found on the tag on his leg.

Thanks in advance.
    i found an injured (dieing) pigeon before with a tag on his leg when i took it to the vet he got in contact with the person who owned it and let him no what happend to it. the owner was in england! or so the vet said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a note this thread is a year old - but I'll leave it open in case Jason100 did lose this pigeon last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

Hello, I came on here to start a new thread but I'm on te iPhone and can't see te option for it. There's been a racing pigeon at my back door all day. I gave him a load of seeds earlier and forgot all about him then went to let the dog out and saw he's still there, my dog went over to sniff him and he didn't move, he's eating away. I'm worried a cat from the neighbourhood will get him, what should I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jason100

Hello, I came on here to start a new thread but I'm on te iPhone and can't see te option for it. There's been a racing pigeon at my back door all day. I gave him a load of seeds earlier and forgot all about him then went to let the dog out and saw he's still there, my dog went over to sniff him and he didn't move, he's eating away. I'm worried a cat from the neighbourhood will get him, what should I do?
    Could you let us no were you are ?

Jason100 wrote: »
    Could you let us no were you are ?

Hi, im in dundalk. i gave him water and seeds and put him in the shed over night, i sent an email to the addresses in the link with his life ring info etc. GB. he seems in good nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Hi, im in dundalk. i gave him water and seeds and put him in the shed over night, i sent an email to the addresses in the link with his life ring info etc. GB. he seems in good nick.

The owner may just ask you to destroy the bird as its of no use to him once they get lost or drop out from a race or even don't make it home from training .

If the bird is eating it might find the strength to make it home to Britain

But there is the problem for the owner if the bird returnes during a big race it would interfere with his other birds returning causing them to stall out side the loft and hamper the time of the birds clocking them in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

thanks ross! i've emailed them on the off chance it's their bird, i doubt it though

• Advertisement

progress

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Was it theirs?!

It wasn't the bird from the gum tree ad, I tracked down its owners to a guy in the north, only about 20 miles away, it was on its way back from Wales n prob got tired. I have it on a diet of budgie food and fresh water, I'll take it out the country eIther tmr or wed and send hIm on his way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

It wasn't the bird from the gum tree ad, I tracked down its owners to a guy in the north, only about 20 miles away, it was on its way back from Wales n prob got tired. I have it on a diet of budgie food and fresh water, I'll take it out the country eIther tmr or wed and send hIm on his way

I wouldn't bother.

I tried that one time and when I arrived back home the pigeon was back in my garden :D

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother.

I tried that one time and when I arrived back home the pigeon was back in my garden :D

Hahaha! Well if that happens then I guess I have another pet

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

We had two racing pigeons in our garden in galway a few years ago. One just left, we managed to catch the other and with the help of boards tracked down a pigeon club in galway. They traced the owners by the tags - they were English I think so the club guys took him in.

gutted, the owner swung by earlier and picked up the bird, was really looking forward to releasing him too

Advertisement