Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Britain - reputation of the Irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

sudzs wrote: »
    What's to get over? It's a minor irritation caused by people who probably were taught geography with the use of a map of the world, predominantly coloured pink! As dear old Gran would say, more to be pitied!!! ;)
    houston we have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

oh dear, i wont be going to manchester then......YE KNOW LIKE! :D

but seriously i will probably be going to somewhere in wales as thats where the type of work i'm going for is. (not coal mining BTW:)) there are several companies doing this work based in cardiff, newpot and merthyr. I know london is more international and that and more open, just wondering if wales and the welsh were a bit more conservative since they have smaller cities.

my neighbour was in camden working years ago and he said the gangers on the job treated the Irish like dirt. He said they were made to do REALLY unsafe things and once a few of them narrowly avoided death when concrete formwork collapsed. it was hard to get paid.

I also worked in London many years ago and the gangers treated(or at least tried) me like dirt and conditions were unsafe.However in each case the gangers were Irish. I worked on many sites and when it came to working conditions or getting paid on time Paddy was always the worst.That said , the craic was mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I also worked in London many years ago and the gangers treated(or at least tried) me like dirt and conditions were unsafe.However in each case the gangers were Irish. I worked on many sites and when it came to working conditions or getting paid on time Paddy was always the worst.That said , the craic was mighty.

Sad but very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

mikemac wrote: »
    It's just an very obvious way for the accent to be shown.

They like it because it sounds like 'turd'.

Advertisement