Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you 'warm up' your bike?

• 26-07-2011 3:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reading in the manual of my bike that when the air temperature is less than 10 degrees, you are supposed to start your engine and let it run for a full 5 minutes before driving off. Normally I would let the engine warm up for a minute or two while I put my gloves and helmet on, but a full 5 mins seems a lot. Some others I read let their bike run like this every time regardless of the temperature. Some others let the bike warm up to 40 or 50 degrees before setting off - that could take 15 minutes or more!

So just how important is this? Is a minute or two and then some slow driving keeping the revs down ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

dunno how good or bad, but to try and stay cushty with the neighbours, I dont warm up on the driveway at all. I just try and keep it under 3k revs till I get ~3-4 bars on my temp indicator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I start mine and wait for the idle to drop with the automatic choke, then it's good to go. Could be 3 or 4 minutes depending on the temp out and how long it takes me to get my helmet and gloves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I wait for the choke to go before I pull off. Then for the first couple of minutes its easy driving, no high 4k+ revs. After that its fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've an older bike. I just start it and after about 20 seconds I'm on the road. I keep the revs quite low and don't go above 1/4 of my revs until I can feel the engine is warm. My bike is air cooled.

When it is cold out I usually use my bare hand to tell the temperature. When I can feel the engine getting warm, it's ready to drive off. These summer mornings that seems to only take a few seconds.

Leaving the negine idle for 5min just seems like a big waste of fuel to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l.m

I wait 5mins+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Give it about 3/4 mins before setting off. Longer in cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I leave it for as long as it takes to get my helmet and gloves on, about 2 minutes. Then I try not to rev it over 5k until it's over 50 degrees, then it's good to go. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Leave her warming up until she ticks over nicely without any choke, fvck the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Let it run for a minute til I'm ready to.go then (try) keep it under 3k til the temp gauge goes out of the red bit at the bottom.

Zascar you could buy better oil that heats up quicker if ye don't want to risk it on the new machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Any down side to not letting it warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Keith186 wrote: »
    Zascar you could buy better oil that heats up quicker if ye don't want to risk it on the new machine.

Yeah I was thinking that. I need to do some research and learn up on oils etc. Another 749 owner tells me ONLY to use the best Shell Ultra Advance 4. 10x40 is advised, not sure what numbers are better for cold weather, and if there are any other disadvantages to having a diffent oil though. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Cylinder and piston wear as the engine is tight when cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Zascar wrote: »
    I was reading in the manual of my bike that when the air temperature is less than 10 degrees, you are supposed to start your engine and let it run for a full 5 minutes before driving off. Normally I would let the engine warm up for a minute or two while I put my gloves and helmet on, but a full 5 mins seems a lot. Some others I read let their bike run like this every time regardless of the temperature. Some others let the bike warm up to 40 or 50 degrees before setting off - that could take 15 minutes or more!

So just how important is this? Is a minute or two and then some slow driving keeping the revs down ok?

I had occasion to do the camchain on a Fazer 600 I used to own. It had 60k miles up. The cam lobes/journals were at at-new spec. It didn't use any oil either - all signs of a healthy engine.

I used it every day (from ice to baking heat and everything in between) and did as you did more or less. It's all about load applied I think: do it gently, keep the revs down and by the time your a mile down the road you can begin to open it out a bit.

A bit like running a new engine in really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

1 min and then take it easy for a short bit with the older ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

engine and gearbox wear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I usually wait till it gets over 60 before I pull off, manual says get it warm before use.

It's strange that cars are designed to driven from cold but bikes aren't, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Del2005 wrote: »
    I usually wait till it gets over 60 before I pull off, manual says get it warm before use.

Still should take it easy on a car engine when cold..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Del2005 wrote: »

bikes are built to much greater tollerences

high spec cars have to be warmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭rameire

30 seconds max, and then rev the cráp out of it.
    unless the weather is -15c and then i give it 2 or 3 min.

but with 95000km on the clock, no problems with the engine and my mechanic has checked the pistons and there is no problem or overwear with them.

so i suppose it could depend on the quality of the materials used in the construction of the bike, that will depend on what you do.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

My little honda cg doesnt even have a temp gauge,so i just start it,let it rev for a bit then im off:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

No temp guage on my Suzuki either. Also no fuel guage.

Not really a lot on my bike. Just me + fuel tank + engine + wheels.. + hot women :cool: .. not really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Zascar wrote: »
    I was reading in the manual of my bike that when the air temperature is less than 10 degrees, you are supposed to start your engine and let it run for a full 5 minutes before driving off.
    You could always buy a Honda! lol

I let mine warm up to 35°C (that's the lowest number it can display) before setting off. Then I have a strict rule whereby I don't exceed 3,500 RPM until she hits 82°C (i.e. engine fully warm). Has worked perfectly for me so far. Bike never missed a beat and I've ridden her for over 42,000km at this stage!

rameire wrote: »
    30 seconds max, and then rev the cráp out of it.
    unless the weather is -15c and then i give it 2 or 3 min.

but with 95000km on the clock, no problems with the engine and my mechanic has checked the pistons and there is no problem or overwear with them.

so i suppose it could depend on the quality of the materials used in the construction of the bike, that will depend on what you do.
    Honda?

FYI: can't remember the exact percentage but it's something like 90% of the damage/wear you engine/gearbox suffers occurs between the moment the engine is started and until the oil is up to temperature. Oil doesn't work well when cold so letting an engine warm up properly is key to longevity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭rameire

Honda?

yup, Deauville.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

You could always buy a Honda! lol

I let mine warm up to 35°C (that's the lowest number it can display) before setting off. Then I have a strict rule whereby I don't exceed 3,500 RPM until she hits 82°C (i.e. engine fully warm). Has worked perfectly for me so far. Bike never missed a beat and I've ridden her for over 42,000km at this stage!
    :D:D:D Yeah i believe ya mate:p

I usually let mine warm up for a min or 2, usually unlock the rear wheel from the ground anchor then start it, then remove the fron disc lock head in and put my lid and gloves on. I TRY not to be a bat out of hell but sometimes it can't be helped:eek:

Quick question as well, when should the fan kick in to cool down the engine, just asking as temp has been up to 95 and have not heard it kick in:confused:

rameire wrote: »
    yup, Deauville.
    Can't beat Honda when it comes to building bullet-proof engines! ;)

:D:D:D Yeah i believe ya mate:p
    Fecker!
    I usually let mine warm up for a min or 2, usually unlock the rear wheel from the ground anchor then start it, then remove the fron disc lock head in and put my lid and gloves on.
    Your insurance won't cover you if some fecker jumps on it and rides away while you're inside getting your helmet! lol
    Quick question as well, when should the fan kick in to cool down the engine, just asking as temp has been up to 95 and have not heard it kick in:confused:
    Mine cuts in real late too. I think it's at around 103°C. Checked some Gixer forums and yours cuts in at around 104/105°C G!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Can't beat Honda when it comes to building bullet-proof engines! ;)

I'd say Suzuki could beat them!! It's a well known fact that Bandits are bullet proof. And yes, I do have one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Your insurance won't cover you if some fecker jumps on it and rides away while you're inside getting your helmet! lol

Mine cuts in real late too. I think it's at around 103°C. Checked some Gixer forums and yours cuts in at around 104/105°C G!

Lol im right at the door putting my stuff on plus the bike is hidden behind the car:D

Thank god for the temp, was getting a bit worried. Cheers mate;)

Advertisement