Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace battery, fuse and transformer - excessive charge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 booklover1975

I know I will probably have to pay it but its just frustating that I know they have overcharged me, but I hate having bills hanging over me. also frustating to know that their customer service is so bad and they won't have the courtsey to phone me back

One thing though, I've learned my very expensive lesson:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I would ring who ever certify them and make an complaint also. They wont be long getting in touch with you then. Realistically if they dont have a part to fix your alarm you should not be made to fork out for them to go get one, again it is not your fault. There call out charge is very expensive but that will have to be paid if you agreed to it, parts will also have to be paid for. The extra 2 hours labour they are charging I would refuse to pay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As they have said they will call you back I would wait for that call.
    Always put it back into their hands and leave the onus on them to handle the situation. If they dont contact you then they can't really demand payment now can they?

I would also ask why you have to pay labour for a part been collected. Thios is a scam. I would generally say to someone I'll drop back tomorrow or whenever suits them. I don't expect the customer to pay for my collection of parts.

I agree, it is a scam, the norm would be to either rearrange the visit with the part or come back with a part to suit the system. You could be paying $60 for the chap to have his lunch for all you know.

I would keep ringing and complaining..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I disagree with the keep ringing bit.
    They have said they will call you back, leave it up to them to do that.
    The longer they put it off the better it is for you.

• Advertisement

You wont get anywhere if you dont complain.

He did complain.....
    Just an update:mad:

After 2 days of ringing the company and being promised someone would call me back, I eventually got to speak to someone today.

They said the reason the price on the day and the invoice differed was because the parts used were different than their normal parts.

I queried the 2.5 hours work that the engineer was supposed to have put in and i was told while he was gone looking for parts, he was working on the job. I said its a good job he didn't have to go to Cork for teh parts and come back to the house the next morning or I could have got a bill for 1.5K!!!

They eventually agreed to knock 60 off the bill but I'm still being charged for 1.5 hours work! They could not explain why it took the engineer so long to do a simple job.

I offered to pay the call out charge which included 30 mins and the parts but they said no.

I asked the office manager to call me back but surprise surprise they never did!

He has asked to speak to a manager. I'd let them do the chasing at this stage. He is no longer refusing to pay , he is awaiting someone to call him back..:D

KoolKid wrote: »
    He has asked to speak to a manager.

Yes, but he has not complained to the manager :D

Talking to office staff gets you no where.

If that does not work get on to there certification body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Name and shame.
    Probably against the rules but people need to know to avoid this company

Final update!

Rang back to speak to the manager (would probably still be waiting for a call but wanted to get it sorted and paid!), he knocked c€90 off the price - said he couldn't reduce it anymore as he would be doing it for less than cost price!

He said I was lucky the engineer was able to get the parts needed where I lived otherwise he would have had to come back to my house the next day and I would have been charged another 140 call out charge - surely this isn't right in this day and age is it??? Is this the norm?

He also said I was lucky to be only charged the 70 for the bit of the transformer he used - not all engineers would have taken apart the transformer and would have charged me the full price.

I complained about the whole customer service issue and no-one ringing back when promised etc and said it wasn't really the way to do business in this day and age - he agreed but said he hoped it wouldn't put me off using them again!!

I've clearly learnt a very expensive lesson!!!

• Advertisement

He said I was lucky the engineer was able to get the parts needed where I lived otherwise he would have had to come back to my house the next day and I would have been charged another 140 call out charge - surely this isn't right in this day and age is it??? Is this the norm?

No, it would not. If this is what they do I would steer clear of them in future.
    If the part was not available on the day you should not of being charged. Most companys will say no fix no fee. After all, if he could not fix it what are you paying for. Then an alternative day would be arranged when the part is available. They must be making some money with there scam :eek:
    He also said I was lucky to be only charged the 70 for the bit of the transformer he used - not all engineers would have taken apart the transformer and would have charged me the full price.

The bit of a transformer, what bit is he referring to :confused:
    The whole transformer would need to be replaced when it goes faulty.
    I complained about the whole customer service issue and no-one ringing back when promised etc and said it wasn't really the way to do business in this day and age - he agreed but said he hoped it wouldn't put me off using them again!!

I've clearly learnt a very expensive lesson!!!

I dont think you will be ringing them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

not exactly a result.
    Tell your friends and family to avoid this crowd.
    bad press like this tends to spread quick

No not exactly a great result but I wasn't getting anywhere and at the end of the day would have no other choice but to pay.

I will make sure I never use this crowd again - and will tell all my friends and family the same!

@Altor, he said the transformer is part of a panel and keypad and he had to buy the whole thing, and I was lucky the engineer took the time to disconnect the transformer or I would have been charged for the whole thing.

And ,going by the way he prices no doubt he will get about €200 for the keypad & €300 for the panel.

@Altor, he said the transformer is part of a panel and keypad and he had to buy the whole thing, and I was lucky the engineer took the time to disconnect the transformer or I would have been charged for the whole thing.

What system have you installed ?

You can get a transformer for most systems without having to buy the whole panel.

I rekon that was a waffle. If fact I would get the transformer checked. It could have come out of an old panel anyway.
    If naming & shaming is your thing?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=235

I agree also. Name and shame :D

Advertisement