Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line stats

Options
  • 26-07-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭

I have been having some difficulties with my broadband ,it keeps randomly disconnecting .
    The Snr is 6db downstream and 19db upstream.
    Attenuation is 29db downstream and 14.50 upstream.
    Attenuation is good but the snr is poor it would seem.Its syncing at 5Mb Down and 512kb up.
    I have a few Sky Boxes connected to the phone line but they have filters connected and even when everything bar the router is disconnected the snr doesnt rise.
    I have the router connected to the main telephone socket too.
    When I run Speedtest,the speed is fine and the ping is low .
    I'm also living less than 500 yards from the exchange which is quite strange.
    Any ideas as to what may be the issue or do I need Eircom out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

not sure about your stats but if you have the zyxel router i'd nearly guarantee thats casuing the disconnects

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Zardoz

guil wrote: »
    not sure about your stats but if you have the zyxel router i'd nearly guarantee thats casuing the disconnects
    Its a Netopia 2247 router.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I suspect a fault with the internal wiring. The attenuation value is high for being so close to the exchange but it should still be able to handle the full 8 mbps.

I'm not sure if eircom send out people to look at the house wiring. Given that you mentioned you've a few sky boxes, you must have quite a number of extension leads and sockets in use. Even if everything is filtered at the socket, the wires that go from the sockets to the main socket or junction box will not be filtered and they can be good at picking up interference from other things, much like an antenna would. The longer the lengths of internal wiring, the worse it is for broadband. Also, wiring the sockets in a "star topology" with all of them branching out from the one point, like all the roads to the other cities from Dublin is worse than having the sockets connected from to the next, as in a chain. http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

Some electricians might be able to fix it up? Otherwise you could get one of the master sockets off eircom that have a filter built in (often used for phonewatch installations or lines with low speeds for example) which will isolate most of the internal wiring from the DSL signal but it means you have to use the modem at that socket.

If you call your ISP, it's likely they'll simply reduce your speed to 4 mbps but your line may show up as having a fault when they check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Given that you mentioned you've a few sky boxes, you must have quite a number of extension leads and sockets in use. Even if everything is filtered at the socket, the wires that go from the sockets to the main socket or junction box will not be filtered and they can be good at picking up interference from other things, much like an antenna would.
    There isnt much internal wiring as there are only 2 phone sockets in the house.
    The main one has the router and home phone connected ,using a filter.
    The 2 skyboxes are connected to the other phone socket via a splitter and filter.
    The cables running to the Sky box are very long ~20 yards ,they run along skirting boards.
    However when I disconnected everything bar the router the snr was still very low .
    Some electricians might be able to fix it up? Otherwise you could get one of the master sockets off eircom that have a filter built in (often used for phonewatch installations or lines with low speeds for example) which will isolate most of the internal wiring from the DSL signal but it means you have to use the modem at that socket.
    I will look into that,thanks.
    If you call your ISP, it's likely they'll simply reduce your speed to 4 mbps but your line may show up as having a fault when they check it.
    I think that should increase the snr by 6db so might be the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Zardoz wrote: »
    I have been having some difficulties with my broadband ,it keeps randomly disconnecting .
    The Snr is 6db downstream and 19db upstream.
    Attenuation is 29db downstream and 14.50 upstream.
    Attenuation is good but the snr is poor it would seem.Its syncing at 5Mb Down and 512kb up.
    I have a few Sky Boxes connected to the phone line but they have filters connected and even when everything bar the router is disconnected the snr doesnt rise.
    I have the router connected to the main telephone socket too.
    When I run Speedtest,the speed is fine and the ping is low .
    I'm also living less than 500 yards from the exchange which is quite strange.
    Any ideas as to what may be the issue or do I need Eircom out ?

Hi Zardoz,

Can you try the following Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/cTw6pU

And get back to me.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom support forum.

Sounds like either a line or modem problem, your SNR is very low.

Advertisement